Philips OLED+ 934 4K TV Hands On Review & Comments

One question of anyone here who has got the TV. I'm getting confused with the stand the TV sits on. I see at demonstrations that the TV looks flush to the soundbar, but when I see home reviews it sits a good 6 inches off. Is this adjustable or did they change the design at last minute? Thanks.

One question of anyone here who has got the TV. I'm getting confused with the stand the TV sits on. I see at demonstrations that the TV looks flush to the soundbar, but when I see home reviews it sits a good 6 inches off. Is this adjustable or did they change the design at last minute? Thanks.

Wall mount speaker bracket is longer than the stand mount. The speaker is the stand.

Wall mount speaker bracket is longer than the stand mount. The speaker is the stand.

Thank you for the reply. It looks like the reviewers on some are not reading the instructions and most on this tv are not in English so not sure what they are saying half the time. I'm just glad it's an additional bracket and the speaker is the original stand for the screen. It just looks much better for that reason.

Just had my TV delivered and excited to get it set up. Anyone got a generic calibration for this TV? Can't find one anywhere.

No not found any as of yet
Found there is some motion lag and am on my second set
Found monitor was the best setting for this

Hi everyone! I just registered to make this post :) (TL;DR at bottom)

I got this TV last week and have been mostly happy with it so far (picture quality is phenomenal, especially with 4K HDR content on Kodi), but there have been a few niggles:

1. No sound on iPlayer just like @drk mentioned. I'm also using a sub. Resorting to my Fire Stick 4K if I need iPlayer.
    - I wondered if it was a dodgy app, so I tried reinstalling it. Unfortunately while I was able to uninstall it fine, I can no longer reinstall it as it doesn't seem to exist! I've contacted Philips about this, but haven't heard back yet (though I have had two emails saying my ticket has been updated and they'll get back to me in 24-48 hours. That was 4 days ago...).
    - I decided to live watch Pointless on BBC via antenna, and I noticed an iPlayer prompt come up asking if I wanted to start from the beginning. I pressed the button (think it was the green button) and surprisingly iPlayer started up and began the episode from the beginning, with sound! This suggests the iPlayer app may not be part of the Android TV apps themselves, and the one that was installed was maybe just a shortcut? Either way, no clue why the sound worked in that case. I'd update Philips on this, but their ticket system is pretty crap and just seems to be email based, so there's no way to follow up before they respond.
  2. No screensaver options. Seriously, this is actually one of my biggest annoyances, though people may find it petty, but I love having my TV show beautiful photo slideshows for even just 5-10 minutes while I'm not using it. Philips seem to have completely disabled any screensaver support in Android TV, and instead force upon you the ugly black screen with moving white logo (Bower and Wilkins in the 934 case). Despite Google Backdrop Daydream being installed by default, and able to be configured and enabled by the Google Home app on my phone, it does absolutely nothing. If I want a screensaver, I again have to resort to my Fire Stick 4K, but if I pause a playing programme on a native app, I'll get the ugly Philips screensaver instead.
  3. Like the new AVForums review of this TV mentioned, the upward firing/height speakers don't really give you much of a sense of sound above. I'm pretty disappointed by this as this was my main reason for picking the 934 over the 854. Don't get me wrong, the sound is perfectly fine, though just not quite as good as I was hoping. I'll possibly get a full Atmos setup in future, but beyond being a waste paying extra for the 934, this'll also be a bit problematic due to the soundbar being the actual stand, and will require replacing with a universal one if I'm to put a centre speaker in front of it.
  4. Regardless of output (SDR/HDR), subtitles in Netflix, YouTube, etc. are a ~50% grey colour instead of white. I have no clue why this is, but it makes reading subtitles a lot more difficult. I have checked in Netflix settings (on web) and YouTube (in app) and they're both set to white, not grey. If I watch with my Fire Stick 4K instead, they are standard white and completely readable.
    - I've noticed a difference in general brightness of the menus/UI on the FS4K compared to the native one. It seems brighter on the FS4K which may have something to do with it? I don't know much of the technicalities, but it's almost as if the 'overlay' that Android TV uses to render these elements has limited brightness?
You might think: why not just use my Fire Stick 4K instead, as it solves most of the issues above? (Plus I prefer the compactness and feel of the FS4K's remote.) Well this was my intention from the beginning, but unfortunately I've noticed a significant enough difference in picture quality (particularly Dolby Vision content in Netflix) on the Fire Stick 4K vs the native app. I don't know what it is, but the contrast and colour just look better on the native app, despite having the exact same picture settings on the native app as I do on the HDMI connection for the FS4K. It could be related to this issue that I've noticed that someone else reported here, but I have no clue: Only 8 bit HDR video on Firestick 4k - Fire TV - Devices - Amazon Digital and Device Forum

This is actually bugging me enough that I'm tempted to get an Nvidia Shield Pro (2019) in the hope that it matches the native app for quality. Unfortunately that's £200, which is hard to justify to (hopefully) get more readable subtitles, a screensaver, and not needing to switch sources to launch iPlayer.

If anyone has this TV and can confirm these issues, and if they're rectified by a different streamer like an Nvidia Shield, I'd be immensely grateful. I'm finding it very difficult to find much support in online communities for this TV so I hope I've found the right place.

Thanks for reading!

TL;DR: iPlayer app has no sound and can be accidentally uninstalled with no option of reinstalling. No screensaver options. Height speakers don't seem to be quite as effective as I hoped. Subtitles are too dark. Picture quality of Fire Stick 4K seems lacking compared to native. Wish I knew what was going on there. I'm worried if it's an issue with HDMI input to the TV and will be the same with other streamers and game consoles, or if it's just the FS4K, and an Nvidia Shield would be a better bet. Thank you!

Hi Domsy

I can confirm the 8 bit HDR problem in your link.

I have an Apple TV 4k and I can't get anything but 8 bit in the TV info panel on my 10 bit HDR content. This is when streaming with MrMc from a nfs share, I don't have any iTunes/netflix subscription but maybe it works there.

The only way to get 10 bit in the info panel is to set the ATV in 4k HDR and turn off Colourspace/framerate matching. But then also 8 bit SDR shows as 10 bit. If I turn the Colour/frame matching on it will show 8 bit again. It doesn't feel right.

In your link the guy says the FireTv pendent outputs correctly 10 bit. Is this only a Fire stick/ATV problem? Anyone get 10 bit streaming over HDMI to work on the 934?

This may be a silly question but does anyone know how to get the keyboard behind the TV remote to work? It doesn't do anything when I press the keys and there's no activate button anywhere.

Hi everyone! I just registered to make this post :) (TL;DR at bottom)

I got this TV last week and have been mostly happy with it so far (picture quality is phenomenal, especially with 4K HDR content on Kodi), but there have been a few niggles:

1. No sound on iPlayer just like @drk mentioned. I'm also using a sub. Resorting to my Fire Stick 4K if I need iPlayer.
    - I wondered if it was a dodgy app, so I tried reinstalling it. Unfortunately while I was able to uninstall it fine, I can no longer reinstall it as it doesn't seem to exist! I've contacted Philips about this, but haven't heard back yet (though I have had two emails saying my ticket has been updated and they'll get back to me in 24-48 hours. That was 4 days ago...).
    - I decided to live watch Pointless on BBC via antenna, and I noticed an iPlayer prompt come up asking if I wanted to start from the beginning. I pressed the button (think it was the green button) and surprisingly iPlayer started up and began the episode from the beginning, with sound! This suggests the iPlayer app may not be part of the Android TV apps themselves, and the one that was installed was maybe just a shortcut? Either way, no clue why the sound worked in that case. I'd update Philips on this, but their ticket system is pretty crap and just seems to be email based, so there's no way to follow up before they respond.
Had my TV set up yesterday so haven't tried the built in BBC iPlayer app yet but I did cast the BBC iPlayer app from my phone to the TV and all worked as it should.
Having said that, I know it's not a fix for the issues you're experiencing.

This may be a silly question but does anyone know how to get the keyboard behind the TV remote to work? It doesn't do anything when I press the keys and there's no activate button anywhere.
Worked without doing anything when I logged into Netflix??

How can you tell if streams are 8 or 10 bit?

Had the TV nearly a week and really impressed.

However, I have been experiencing an issue which I haven’t seen on this thread or the 804/54.

Whilst watching Freeview the signal will appear to drop out and the screen go blank and then resume a few seconds later.

Now this could be my signal actually dropping out but this seems strange as over the last 2 years using my Humax Freeview box I have experienced just a few signal losses.

I think it has been only on BBC1 but that’s the channel I mainly watch so that’s no definitive.

Has anybody else experienced anything similar ?

I received this TV Sunday and firstly I should say that its amazing in terms of picture quality, the sound is good enough that I dont feel the need for a soundbar (which is good as that was the plan), but a Sub would help add that missing 10% from my previous setup - which had a sound bar.

I also have the same issues listed earlier in the thread
- no sound in Iplayer
- lip sync issues with Amazon (makes it unusable)
- lip sync issues with Netflix

I would prefer to use the built in Apps, but they are not usable at the moment and had ordered a firestick 4k to handle everything. It works well, can be a little juddery at times and I was initially disappointed to see that the TV reports the HDMI input as 8-bit. My BT Youview and older 2017 shield both show as 10-bit.

Then it got me thinking, is the bit colour depth reported in the Philips info panel actually a bug? because when I turn on the Firestick overlay it does show/report a 10bit colour and codec being used... So is the TV wrong or is it hampering what the firestick is trying to give it?

Iplayer HD - for reference and the UHD stuff seems to have gone missing
Amazon HDR10+
Youtube HDR 4k
Netflix DV 1080p
Netflix 4k
Netflix DV 2k

Really hope Philips sort out the internal apps, this would be a class leading TV if the software matched the hardware!

I have flicked back between the internal and Firestick and I might just be kidding myself, but im sure internal does look a little better with whiter-whites.

How to send reports of these issues to Philips customer support? Maybe they can work at solution next firmware...

You can log issues here:

I've logged two issues:
1: The lack of Dolby Atmos support on the integrated Netflix App
2: The lack of Freeview Play app, even though the user guides states it can be downloaded, (page 75).

Their responses are below.

Dolby Atmos:
Dear customer,
Dolby Atmos support will come in the future software updates. Thank you for your patience.

With kind regards,
Philips TV UK Technical Support Team

Freeview Play:
Dear customer,
Our head office confirmed that catch up apps will be available in the upcoming future updates, unfortunately, we don't have exact date.

With kind regards,
Philips TV UK Technical Support Team

I heard back from Philips regarding the iPlayer app:
We would like to inform that this issue is currently under investigation by our technical department. We have an information that it will be fixed with the new software update.

They didn't mention an ETA, nor whether specifically if it'll be reinstallable or just the sound fixed. I recommend anyone else do not uninstall the iPlayer app/shortcut as you may not be able to get it back.

I also have the same issues listed earlier in the thread
- no sound in Iplayer
- lip sync issues with Amazon (makes it unusable)
- lip sync issues with Netflix

I would prefer to use the built in Apps, but they are not usable at the moment and had ordered a firestick 4k to handle everything. It works well, can be a little juddery at times and I was initially disappointed to see that the TV reports the HDMI input as 8-bit. My BT Youview and older 2017 shield both show as 10-bit.

Then it got me thinking, is the bit colour depth reported in the Philips info panel actually a bug? because when I turn on the Firestick overlay it does show/report a 10bit colour and codec being used... So is the TV wrong or is it hampering what the firestick is trying to give it?

I've not noticed any lip sync issues, strangely. Not tried Prime thoroughly yet, though. Last night I was having issues with Netflix launching, then when it finally did (after a restart of the TV), the sound was crackling and the picture was juddering like crazy. I kept having to restart the show (V Wars in Dolby Vision if it makes any difference) until it was okay, but then I heard the sound pop every 10-30 seconds, which got annoying after a while. Same thing happened on the next show, Magic for Humans 2. I'm really tempted to get an Nvidia Shield Pro as I'm tired of the issues with the native Android on this TV already, I just really worry the quality issues are with the HDMI ports and it'll be the same as the FS4K.

I have flicked back between the internal and Firestick and I might just be kidding myself, but im sure internal does look a little better with whiter-whites.

I definitely see a big difference in picture quality between Netflix on the Fire Stick 4K and the native Netflix app, at least with Dolby Vision on V Wars. I want to do more tests with other shows and apps, with photos, but it's a tiring process when you just want to enjoy the TV.

Hi Domsy

I can confirm the 8 bit HDR problem in your link.

I have an Apple TV 4k and I can't get anything but 8 bit in the TV info panel on my 10 bit HDR content. This is when streaming with MrMc from a nfs share, I don't have any iTunes/netflix subscription but maybe it works there.

The only way to get 10 bit in the info panel is to set the ATV in 4k HDR and turn off Colourspace/framerate matching. But then also 8 bit SDR shows as 10 bit. If I turn the Colour/frame matching on it will show 8 bit again. It doesn't feel right.

In your link the guy says the FireTv pendent outputs correctly 10 bit. Is this only a Fire stick/ATV problem? Anyone get 10 bit streaming over HDMI to work on the 934?

Thanks! Really hope someone can confirm if another streamer like the Nvidia Shield is any better. My biggest concern is the quality difference between native Netflix and the one on the FS4K. I need to take photos to show what I'm talking about as it's a massive difference for me! I may just get one, but Amazon is currently out of stock.

Also another thing I've noticed is an issue with aspect ratio on certain things in Kodi. It seems to render incorrectly a lot of the time, with the video being really squished. The only way to fix it is to go to the video options and switch the size option (forgot the exact name) from 'Standard' to 'Stretch 16:9', then it looks fine. I have to do this for every individual thing I watch that has the problem, which gets tiring for TV shows. I don't have to do this on the FS4K, though; that renders everything absolutely fine all the time (again, though, reports 8-bit on FS4K when it should be 10-bit).

For those looking for a calibration for this TV. I managed to find a review with some simple calibrations they used which worked pretty well on my TV.

Only spotted one difference since running the update - the BBC iPlayer app no longer opens!
Should I delete and reinstall iplayer or reset TV to original settings?

Last edited:
Can't speak for the iPlayer as I don't have a TV licence so don't use that - but the inbuilt Netflix app now supports Dolby Atmos, so I'm happy with that. They just need to make Freeview Play available, (as advertised in the user manual) and I'm happy!

Can't speak for the iPlayer as I don't have a TV licence so don't use that - but the inbuilt Netflix app now supports Dolby Atmos, so I'm happy with that. They just need to make Freeview Play available, (as advertised in the user manual) and I'm happy!
Does your remote have the Freeview Play key as indicated in the manual for UK remotes ? Just been going through the manual and realising mine doesn’t ! Purchased from John Lewis

After the update the BBC iPlayer app would not load. However after going into the android app menu, clearing cache, deleting app storage (not uninstalling). Then unpowered the TV for 10seconds. Power back on and it was all ok.

Dolby Atmos works in Netflix.

Amazon prime still has a audio sync issue but isn't as bad as it was and is watchable now at least.

Google play movies work fine

No Freeview play yet.

Fire TV 4k stick still shows as 8bit (Philips support suggested optimal for hdmi settings but it made no difference)

My internal apps have developed a crackle in sound. A full power reboot fixes it, but it has come back a few times when the TV comes out of standby.

Does your remote have the Freeview Play key as indicated in the manual for UK remotes ? Just been going through the manual and realising mine doesn’t ! Purchased from John Lewis

Nope, mine doesn't either! But Freeview Play isn't available on the app store which I hoped it would be.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom