Philips OLED+ 934 4K TV Hands On Review & Comments

Thanks you very much...,do you think SVS sb-2000 pro will match the B&W soundbar? Pretty large livingroom, glad it worked out for you. ; )
To be honest I'm not the most knowledgeable person about subwoofers, but in my opinion the svs might be a little overkill if you don't plan to hook it up to a proper dedicated receiver and speakers to get the most out of the whole system.
For the cheap and simple setup I wanted I just got a powered 8" 200w sub and it does the job for me. Only cost me £200 for the sub and £37 for the cable.
I got a Samsung n950 7.1.2 system for my projector in the next room.

To be honest I'm not the most knowledgeable person about subwoofers, but in my opinion the svs might be a little overkill if you don't plan to hook it up to a proper dedicated receiver and speakers to get the most out of the whole system.
For the cheap and simple setup I wanted I just got a powered 8" 200w sub and it does the job for me. Only cost me £200 for the sub and £37 for the cable.
I got a Samsung n950 7.1.2 system for my projector in the next room.
Thank’s for input on my question, I’ll Thames that in consideration. I do like a little punch in the movie sound,

I switched on the TV tonight and icons for all UK catch-up services are on the homescreen, anyone else got this? I haven’t updated the software, so I guess it happened in the background.

You can’t actually launch any of them yet...but I guess this is progress!

Attachments

• D8F54993-984B-42F4-957F-14E0D1F4ECBB.jpeg
    D8F54993-984B-42F4-957F-14E0D1F4ECBB.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 127
Good news! Just got my phone RCA to RCA cable and all is good, everything working as it should. A sub makes a massive difference to this TV. So much more depth to music and anything I watch now. The BW "sound bar" already produces nice and clear sounds, definitely recommend a sub to knit it together. No need for a separate receiver and less clutter was what I wanted and now got.
I was a bit worried I would still need to manually adjust the bass volume behind the sub but I can confirm the bass adjust along with the volume on the TV. Very happy with my simple setup now.
Could you check this Chopstah888?
From a dead tread...

Have you guys read this review and what it says about the subwoofer?

"Things get a little more controversial when it comes to bass performance. This isn't to say the bar itself is lacking bass - we measured it down to around 50Hz. It's more about how it handles, or rather doesn't, the deep bass from multichannel mixes.

You see, the Philips OLED+ 934 doesn't play the .1 Low Frequency Effects (LFE) track in a 5.1 mix. While left right and centre channels are present and correct, and those height drivers get to do their thing, the .1 is just ignored.

The result is that Dolby Atmos soundtracks sound neutered when the action hots up. Anything placed into the LFE by the sound designer is missing. Bad news if you're watching battling autobots or bad tempered terminators – those big sonic slams are AWOL."
Philips OLED+ 934 review: Sound advice?

No LFE? That explains why the sub is silent when I play Dolby surround test files and the bass in general is not the best.

Is this a bug or is it by design? Can you call it a 2.1.2 system when the .1 is ignored?”

Could you check this Chopstah888?
From a dead tread...

Have you guys read this review and what it says about the subwoofer?

"Things get a little more controversial when it comes to bass performance. This isn't to say the bar itself is lacking bass - we measured it down to around 50Hz. It's more about how it handles, or rather doesn't, the deep bass from multichannel mixes.

You see, the Philips OLED+ 934 doesn't play the .1 Low Frequency Effects (LFE) track in a 5.1 mix. While left right and centre channels are present and correct, and those height drivers get to do their thing, the .1 is just ignored.

The result is that Dolby Atmos soundtracks sound neutered when the action hots up. Anything placed into the LFE by the sound designer is missing. Bad news if you're watching battling autobots or bad tempered terminators – those big sonic slams are AWOL."
Philips OLED+ 934 review: Sound advice?

No LFE? That explains why the sub is silent when I play Dolby surround test files and the bass in general is not the best.

Is this a bug or is it by design? Can you call it a 2.1.2 system when the .1 is ignored?”
You know what? I think you're right. I just tested some Atmos trailers which normally with my Samsung n950 system would sound thunderous, but very muted when played on the 934 with my subwoofer connected.
It's strange, I know the bass isn't totally 'dead' because I can feel the sub driver moving but just doesn't produce the type of bass you would expect.
Having said that, the bass is as expected when I play bass test videos from YouTube so I know it's capable. Tried a DTS clip and the bass definitely seemed more prominent, Atmos however, just seems to be lacking deep low bass for some reason.
I'm wondering if it could just be my subwoofer as its only an entry sub, can only go down to 40hz and also just 2 days old, so I'm unable to do more of a detailed and technical test.

You know what? I think you're right. I just tested some Atmos trailers which normally with my Samsung n950 system would sound thunderous, but very muted when played on the 934 with my subwoofer connected.....
I'm wondering if it could just be my subwoofer as its only an entry sub, can only go down to 40hz and also just 2 days old, so I'm unable to do more of a detailed and technical test.
According to the review it’s the Philips 934 fault to not decoding the signal right, to bad this is happening, interesting to see if Philips fix this in an software update.

Just read a review by techradar and they have noticed there's no LFE with this soundbar.

Good news is that Philips is aware and is looking into it, but I'm not holding my breath.

"The good news is that Philips tells us that it’s looking into the feasibility of a firmware update to assist with this, and that future Philips screens with a dedicated Atmos sound system will correctly sum the LFE into the main stereo pair, so that there are no awkward silences."

That's annoying to hear they haven't done LFE right.
"The good news is that Philips tells us that it’s looking into the feasibility of a firmware update to assist with this, and that future Philips screens with a dedicated Atmos sound system will correctly sum the LFE into the main stereo pair, so that there are no awkward silences."
Wow, that review was posted yesterday? Good to know they're aware of it and hopefully can issue a fix.

Talking of sound... I've had some odd stuff happen the past couple of days. After turning the TV on and launching Netflix (or Prime) on my Shield, there were a few quick crackly noises and then I get absolutely no sound in the app. YouTube seemed to be fine though, and the TV's native apps seem fine. Returning to the Shield's home screen has sound again, but the moment I go back into the apps it crackles and loses sound. The only way to fix this is to reboot the TV (and the only way I know of doing that is to pull the power cable out the back – really annoying!).

Not sure why this has started suddenly. I've had the Shield almost a month now (I've got just over a week left to return it) and this has never happened before.

Anyone else noticed something similar? I'll see what happens the next few days. I suspect it's the TV's fault rather than the Shield but I may return the Shield regardless if it keeps happening.

I've never had that happen to my tv. I've also got the shield hooked to my projector and also never had any issues with it.

Maybe vi should make a mass return to Philips on this tv, ( sue Philips) ,when they advertise this unit as Dolby Atmos certified tv then it should function as a complete device and not exclude the LFE signal!?

That's annoying to hear they haven't done LFE right.

Wow, that review was posted yesterday? Good to know they're aware of it and hopefully can issue a fix.

Talking of sound... I've had some odd stuff happen the past couple of days. After turning the TV on and launching Netflix (or Prime) on my Shield, there were a few quick crackly noises and then I get absolutely no sound in the app. YouTube seemed to be fine though, and the TV's native apps seem fine. Returning to the Shield's home screen has sound again, but the moment I go back into the apps it crackles and loses sound. The only way to fix this is to reboot the TV (and the only way I know of doing that is to pull the power cable out the back – really annoying!).

Not sure why this has started suddenly. I've had the Shield almost a month now (I've got just over a week left to return it) and this has never happened before.

Anyone else noticed something similar? I'll see what happens the next few days. I suspect it's the TV's fault rather than the Shield but I may return the Shield regardless if it keeps happening.
Yes, and sometimes it just hisses at you instead. It only occurs for me on Atmos or Digital+ tracks. It is seemingly intermittent. The only fix is to hard power restart the TV. No option to restart in android menus (annoying right?). I have had times when the problem persists after a restart... But usually overnight it's fine the next day.

Also sometimes it refuses to boot up and needs a hard power restart.

The only pattern I noticed is after it has watched a Dolby plus track on either of the HDMI devices, then the internal apps seem to struggle. If I stick to just the TV apps it's fine.

I should add that the TV is amazing, I think it's a great package and when it's working it's incredible! But it does definitely test your patience...my previous 2016 hisense model had no software bugs compared to this.

Wondering if there is an wired sub pre-out on this TV?

2020 Panny has it.

That's cool and is THE SOLUTION to the missing bass. :)

That's cool and is THE SOLUTION to the missing bass. :)
It definitely improves on the lacking bass power of the soundbar, but I don't know if it resolves the missing LFE signal. According to this review it doesn't, but it would be good to know for sure:
Don't be fooled into thinking that using the subwoofer output on the set will bring back the LFE boom. That simply gets the same L/R mid-bass. What should ideally happen is that the LFE track is sent to the left/right channels, in the same way that the rear channel info is.
I hope Philips can fix that.

To be honest I've only noticed no LFE in Dolby Atmos content. For everything else like youtube and standard movie streaming, I can definitely hear and feel the bass through my sub. Don't get me wrong it's no LFE but it's definitely better than just having the soundbar alone and it's enhanced my viewing experience for everything else.
90% of what I watch isn't in atmos anyway so I still think it's worth getting a sub for this TV.

Last edited:
Philips ship’s this with the 934, anyone using that for the subwoofer ?

Attachments

• 63D823E7-AD4F-48D5-ADF7-DA750D5AD185.jpeg
    63D823E7-AD4F-48D5-ADF7-DA750D5AD185.jpeg
    11.4 KB · Views: 103
To those using a subwoofer, do you get much output? I brought a revel b8 in hope to use the wireless module, but it times out after 10 minutes (suggesting it isn't receiving audio). Plugging the lfe cable into the TV direct into the subwoofer does play bass (but even at full volume on the woofer the bass is quite low compared to what the speaker can output).

Further update, Subwoofer is working, but the Subwoofer out is indeed very quiet / weak. It only triggers the Auto-on when a LOUD boom appears. I can't find anywhere to make this adjustable from the TV to adjust he subwoofer out level?

Was interested in this TV but has just jumped form £2.5k to £3k at all sellers!

I switched on the TV tonight and icons for all UK catch-up services are on the homescreen, anyone else got this? I haven’t updated the software, so I guess it happened in the background.

You can’t actually launch any of them yet...but I guess this is progress!

Are they working yet?

For those looking for the smart TV apps working via Freeview play, I stumbled on something today and mine are now all working. Typically I use a BT youview box, so have never set the TV up for antenna input.

Because I was having some subwoofer output issues, iPlayer not loading and Amazon lip sync issues. I decided today to do a full TV reset via the menu.

To my surprise on a new OS built after the December update, the UK Freeview play TV apps appeared in my app selection (never been there before). They couldn't be opened due to an error, something I similarly have seen on another TV. So I plugged my Freeview antenna cable into the TV, did a full channel scan. Then found that I could launch the smart TV apps from the TV guide using the red button. Once registered and accepted onto each. I turned the TV off, took out the antenna cable and powered back on. To my surprise all of the Freeview play apps now still work . Give it a try.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom