Philips OLED+ 984 4K TV Review & Comments

This does look like a lovely TV. Although in reality, it has just got a sound bar built within the TV itself. So the question is, although it’s the best sounding TV you’ve ever heard, how does it sound compared to a top end sound bar from someone like Yamaha?

This is how the similarly priced Panny GZ2000 should have been designed.

it's more expensive than the Panasonic GZ2000 with less brightness
Without forgetting the image and manufacturing quality.

You can't assume the brightness either. The Panny panel is "technically" brighter, but in real life it's not obviously brighter than the LG or the Sony. Vincent argues that it has more headroom but again, in direct comparison I didn't see any real difference.

I love the idea of 4 sided ambilight, am still amazed other manufacturers have not got on the bandwagon. What I do not like is having to have a soundbar, for which I have probably paid a fair few quid, sitting below the screen. If they had a 4 sided without the soundbar I would be at the front of the queue.

You can't assume the brightness either. The Panny panel is "technically" brighter, but in real life it's not obviously brighter than the LG or the Sony. Vincent argues that it has more headroom but again, in direct comparison I didn't see any real difference.
but that does not justify the price !

It's about £200-£300 more but just look at how it is designed Vs. the GZ2000. It's a no contest.

Last year's Philips OLED touched 900 nits. I expect this to be in the same ballpark and this figure is close to GZ2000's measured peak brightness. Also this extra peak brightness with OLED doesn't matter much in real world viewing.

It would be interesting to see how much they'd adjust the price if the soundbar was removed..although I think it's smart... £4.5k is a lotta dough for a 60" Oled in the current market... particularly when other tech is narrowing the gap on oled quality...

I love the idea of 4 sided ambilight, am still amazed other manufacturers have not got on the bandwagon. What I do not like is having to have a soundbar, for which I have probably paid a fair few quid, sitting below the screen. If they had a 4 sided without the soundbar I would be at the front of the queue.
They did this last time as well so expect a version without the sound bar to be released at some point.

Due to "cracklegate " on the Panasonic oleds this could be a very good alternative....the 934 Phillips Oled also having the BW speaker comes into the equation as well, look forward to a fuller hands on review to see how they match up to the Panasonics in PQ and sound, notice the Phillips does DTS X which Panasonic doesn't.

That's a great starting price for the budget models, at this rate, the 65" could soon hit the £2k mark from launch and discounted some time later to what most thought was a bargain discounted price for a 55" a few years back.
Just need those big 77" to start falling down to real world prices...

The build quality looks exceptional on the 984. And combined with B&W sound it sure is one stunning looking OLED. And you can be sure there will be no cracklegate from Bowers & Wilkins. :D

Wish the GZ2000 looked this good..

If only you could configure that speakers as a center speaker for an AVR. Now that would be awesome. Would add nicely to a lifestyle system.

The picture quality of my new 804 is superb, but I haven't seen the Panasonic GZ2000...

So if the 984 PQ is the same as the 934 that's about 1,500 for a soundbar it must be one kicking soundbar? but very much doubt it could outperform the GZ2000 in PQ especially the way the GZ handles dark scenes.

I still find it odd that 'Philips' TV's are totally TPV Technology and has nothing to do with the Philips company.

I guess TPV still have to pay Philips royalties even though they own 100% of the TV division where Philips no longer have any input.

First impressions are like, Wow that looks awesome and then reality hits..:rotfl:

How do I integrate my Sky Q, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro and Switch..:eek:o_O

They've just mounted the TV onto a fancy and very impractically designed stand with no consideration for other equipment..

I still find it odd that 'Philips' TV's are totally TPV Technology and has nothing to do with the Philips company.

I guess TPV still have to pay Philips royalties even though they own 100% of the TV division where Philips no longer have any input.

Well it's not like TPV only bought the rights to use the Philips name, they first established along with Philips a lab in Netherlands and retained a good number of Philips engineers and patents. Lastly, until 2012 TPV only owned 70% and Philips was careful to cede the remaining 30% after making sure TPV won't damage the Phillips brand.

As such while TP Vision is not the original Philips, they retained much of the same DNA which can be clearly seen in their current tv lineup.

That's a great starting price for the budget models, at this rate, the 65" could soon hit the £2k mark from launch and discounted some time later to what most thought was a bargain discounted price for a 55" a few years back.
Just need those big 77" to start falling down to real world prices...
"Real world prices" is a very relative term, borne out of expectations when compared with cheap TVs flooding the market. Pioneer's TV division folded because it was losing money on every TV it sold, even though they were "expensive".

We need to have a market that encourages innovation and drives quality with flagship models, and also have budget TVs for the masses.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom