Philips OLED+ 984 4K TV Review & Comments

It would be interesting to see how much they'd adjust the price if the soundbar was removed..although I think it's smart... £4.5k is a lotta dough for a 60" Oled in the current market... particularly when other tech is narrowing the gap on oled quality...

But not so bad for a 65" OLED ......

@tigertimtim @vkvedam @Steve Withers Certainly the 65" 734 OLED would be my first choice of a 65" quality television. At a relatively cheap £2,300 at launch (and may fall after a few months) and identical picture quality to this excellent flagship 984, the only competitor is Panasonic's OLED, because unlike OLEDs from LG and Sony and Samsung's QLED models, Philips and Panasonic OLEDs play all types of HDR.

But not so bad for a 65" OLED ......

@tigertimtim @vkvedam @Steve Withers Certainly the 65" 734 OLED would be my first choice of a 65" quality television. At a relatively cheap £2,300 at launch (and may fall after a few months) and identical picture quality to this excellent flagship 984, the only competitor is Panasonic's OLED, because unlike OLEDs from LG and Sony and Samsung's QLED models, Philips and Panasonic OLEDs play all types of HDR.
I think you mean 754 Ken, but it's certainly shaping up to be a bargain. However it's not identical to the 984, the 754 uses last year's panel and the 2nd gen P5 processor instead of the new 3rd gen. Picture-wise the 934 is identical to the 984.

Last edited:
"Real world prices" is a very relative term, borne out of expectations when compared with cheap TVs flooding the market. Pioneer's TV division folded because it was losing money on every TV it sold, even though they were "expensive".

We need to have a market that encourages innovation and drives quality with flagship models, and also have budget TVs for the masses.
It is, let me clarify, real world AVF prices, we all pay way more than the a average joe and I agree, initially high price to push innovation, but even for AVF members who love to splash on kit, the 77” for most is still out of reach. In 3-5 years time I guess that may not be the case.
What I should have said was I’d love a 77” and while I spend a lot of money on AV kit that my friends would never dream of, I can’t afford the current prices in that size.
65” are starting to tumble to near the £2k mark (for manufacturers entry model) so hoping the 77” start to follow this trend.

Why would you love a 77in? Purely because it is bigger? I would not say no to a 77in if my viewing position was optimised for that size.

Why would you love a 77in? Purely because it is bigger? I would not say no to a 77in if my viewing position was optimised for that size.
Yes, simply more immersive in that size, I used to have a 100” scope screen, sold with the last house and I miss it badly!
I tend to only watch 4K / HD at the moment, so shouldn’t look horrendous at that size.

I think you mean 754 Ken, but it's certainly shaping up to be a bargain. However it's not identical to the 984, the 754 uses last year's panel and the 2nd gen P5 processor instead of the new 3rd gen. Picture-wise the 934 is identical to the 984.

Gosh, this thread is replete with mistakes of identity, OLED size and now I've contributed with a mistake of model range! Sorry! The 754 range still sounds like a bargain if the 65" size drops to around £2K by Christmas. And not having seen it, but having heard great things about Philips image processing expertise, I'm sure that even the entry level 754 OLED, with last year's panel and 2nd gen P5 processor, will be more than good enough for most of even picky AV fans.

You mean Steve. Yes, the 934 will be available in early October and comes in two screen sizes: the 55-inch 55OLED934 at £2,200, and the 65-inch 65OLED934 at £3,000.

However, for those that want the very best picture quality, the 934 (with its picture is as good as the 984) is great value with the 65-inch model being "only" £3K, which may soon fall a bit? Remember, folks, eight years ago the Panasonic 65VT30 plasma (which we all then thought was a monster size) cost £4K!

Yes, simply more immersive in that size, I used to have a 100” scope screen, sold with the last house and I miss it badly!
I tend to only watch 4K / HD at the moment, so shouldn’t look horrendous at that size.

@bogart99 I'm not sure what viewing distance you think is optimal for the 77" size, but I can say that, for me, the best viewing distance from my 75" televisions is from 7 feet to 11 feet, no further away than that.

It's about £200-£300 more but just look at how it is designed Vs. the GZ2000. It's a no contest.

Last year's Philips OLED touched 900 nits. I expect this to be in the same ballpark and this figure is close to GZ2000's measured peak brightness. Also this extra peak brightness with OLED doesn't matter much in real world viewing.
Extra brightness on a Oled = more chance of Burn Out happening that's why i have a AF9 safety first, this time.

A question ?

Does OLED actually need ambilight ? As a DX902 user LEDs strings behind the screen help to cheat grey to black and enhance the picture . No need of this trickery with OLED though , is there ? Paying for something not needed .

A question ?

Does OLED actually need ambilight ? As a DX902 user LEDs strings behind the screen help to cheat grey to black and enhance the picture . No need of this trickery with OLED though , is there ? Paying for something not needed .
I think it’s more for eye fatigue, when in a dark room your eyes get a workout having to adjust for different brightness, bias helps reduce that strain.
Your right about the lcd trick.

I think it’s more for eye fatigue, when in a dark room your eyes get a workout having to adjust for different brightness, bias helps reduce that strain.
Your right about the lcd trick.

I'm not up on the Philips displays ( my nephew loves the ambient lighting on his ) so is it set to 6500K to reduce eye strain ?

I put it on mine for those troublesome black bars .

I'm not up on the Philips displays ( my nephew loves the ambient lighting on his ) so is it set to 6500K to reduce eye strain ?

I put it on mine for those troublesome black bars .
I’ve never had one, but it can be set to act like a white bias light as you say at 6500k to reduce eye strain. However, I imagine many use the multi colour mode (it’s not called that, but you know what I mean, so it will spill whatever colour is on the edge of the tv onto your wall. I’d imagine it add depth, or give the illusion of a larger picture / floating tv. Can also work with music to produce some nice mood lighting.

Gosh, this thread is replete with mistakes of identity, OLED size and now I've contributed with a mistake of model range! Sorry! The 754 range still sounds like a bargain if the 65" size drops to around £2K by Christmas. And not having seen it, but having heard great things about Philips image processing expertise, I'm sure that even the entry level 754 OLED, with last year's panel and 2nd gen P5 processor, will be more than good enough for most of even picky AV fans.

However, for those that want the very best picture quality, the 934 (with its picture is as good as the 984) is great value with the 65-inch model being "only" £3K, which may soon fall a bit? Remember, folks, eight years ago the Panasonic 65VT30 plasma (which we all then thought was a monster size) cost £4K!

@bogart99 I'm not sure what viewing distance you think is optimal for the 77" size, but I can say that, for me, the best viewing distance from my 75" televisions is from 7 feet to 11 feet, no further away than that.

In theory the optimum distance for say a 77in is bang on 7ft.

Ambilight whilst some use just for static bias lighting. I use it most in follow video mode for gaming as its great at catching peripheral vision. For example in a racing game in cockpit view it catches trees going past filtering shadow and sun light. Also it can dim the room in night scenes and brighten when not. I like it for films and general use, but love it for gaming. I generally use it in either game or relax modes.

Good to hear from you SonOfSJ! Hope you're doing well.

Don't forget the 804.....same panel with same processor for £2599 currently (for 65-inch model).

@big boss And greetings to Hull, Sir! I thought that you might be on here more since the other forum closed, about a year ago I think?

My interest, and it is fairly keen, in 65 and 75-inch televisions is purely academic and to keep in touch with developments. For myself, if I ever buy another television it'll be either 85" or 88" (and no, despite my continuing opinion that your projector setup of four or five years ago remains the best 1080p picture that I've ever seen, I won't be getting a projector!:)).

This does look like a lovely TV. Although in reality, it has just got a sound bar built within the TV itself. So the question is, although it’s the best sounding TV you’ve ever heard, how does it sound compared to a top end sound bar from someone like Yamaha?
You could say the same about B&O

Five weeks on from the initial thoughts, the full review shows what a good television it is. Although for me personally, I would be happy with the (identical picture) 934 and hence save myself £1,500.

Fantastic review Steve once again.Did you manage to test the motion processing on lower quality feeds from the likes of skyq and the internal netflix app?A couple of us 804 owners think that there may be a glitch on this type of source as we can not find any motion settings that are satisfactory.
cgpav describes the problem very well on one of the last posts over at philips 2019 oleds 804/854 release dates thread.(Sorry,I do not know how to do link).
I would like to know your thoughts and does it affect the 984?
Kind regards.

Five weeks on from the initial thoughts, the full review shows what a good television it is. Although for me personally, I would be happy with the (identical picture) 934 and hence save myself £1,500.
....or the 804 which is the same panel and save even more!

Fantastic review Steve once again.Did you manage to test the motion processing on lower quality feeds from the likes of skyq and the internal netflix app?A couple of us 804 owners think that there may be a glitch on this type of source as we can not find any motion settings that are satisfactory.
cgpav describes the problem very well on one of the last posts over at philips 2019 oleds 804/854 release dates thread.(Sorry,I do not know how to do link).
I would like to know your thoughts and does it affect the 984?
Kind regards.
I didn't see any issues with motion processing on lower quality content, does the 804 use the 3rd gen P5 processor?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom