Philips OLED805 OLED TV Review & Comments

Bought philips oled 804 and it blew the lg b9 out of the water ,better upscaling and motion on another level, no black crush or banding ,watching the football now and its amazing .
While I agree about the image quality, the motion is very bad to say the least compared to Sony or Panasonic (I tested both too). You can't get a smooth motion without artefacts on this TV.

Never had a panasonic ,my friend has a sony led last years I think and frame skipping is very disappointing but philips better than lg for motion and banding ,black crush so all good wish I got bigger

There will never be an overall consensus as to which TV is the best. Some folks want this, others that. Others are just biased and make comments with no actual experience, quite a few of those lurk on here.
Most arguments surround it does not have this , it does not have that so what if it is not your requirement.

There will never be an overall consensus as to which TV is the best. Some folks want this, others that. Others are just biased and make comments with no actual experience, quite a few of those lurk on here.
Most arguments surround it does not have this , it does not have that so what if it is not your requirement.
Totally agree, what's important to some will be irrelevant to others. It depends on your priorities. I have a £1700 voucher from RS to replace my Panasonic 902 which they've just written of and I am quite tempted by the Phillips OLED. My last 3 sets have been Pannys or Sony so it would be a break from the norm. I suppose picture quality and a good OS are my main requirements. But HDMI 2.1 and EARC would ensure a bit of future proofing as well.

R... I've always found Panasonic upscaling a tad soft (I say that as a Panasonic fan). Maybe that's just me.
You are not the only one to have noticed it, I also do not like the too soft rendering of the panasonic, I prefer precisely for this reason the philips approach that makes the image more contrasted and defined, more detailed.
In this regard, I ask Phil who was able to verify them side by side if this Philips model has a more "razor" performance than the panasonic?

Phil, How is the ABL on this tv? As last years model was more aggressive then other compared models.

Last edited:
That review sounds very promising. Any news on the Dolby Vision via HDMI front? The 8 bit banding problem with Dolby vision from an ATV4k or a Fire TV Stick 4K has still not been fixed for the 2019 models. Does the issue persist on the 2020 models?

Last edited:
I’ve got a Philips Ambilight tv from 2018 and like many things about it but am not a big fan of the UI. I’m really interested in this 805 model however when I look to upgrade to an oled set as I find the ambilight feature a real draw. Like others though, I do wonder why hdmi 2.1 wasn’t added with eARC (?) which surely would’ve been a real draw for many who’ve gone with LG sets purely for this reason. I mean, is there a big cost implication as the set would then need to be 120hz capable? Surely the next models they release will have this added.

It’s interesting that Phil uses ISF Night mode to take the OOTB measurements on the 805, when other reviewers such as Vincent Teoh mention that Movie mode is basically Filmmaker mode in all but the name. HomeCinema Magazine use Movie mode for the measurements In their review and find it to be very accurate, with the DeltaE errors well under 3.

It’s interesting that Phil uses ISF Night mode to take the OOTB measurements on the 805, when other reviewers such as Vincent Teoh mention that Movie mode is basically Filmmaker mode in all but the name. HomeCinema Magazine use Movie mode for the measurements In their review and find it to be very accurate, with the DeltaE errors well under 3.
Correct, Film is Movie maker mode, indeed strangeThe reviewer didn,t now that.

Correct, Film is Movie maker mode, indeed strangeThe reviewer didn,t now that.
I wonder if he'd used Film mode during his testing, would the HDR peak brightness have been lower.

I wonder if he'd used Film mode during his testing, would the HDR peak brightness have been lower.
Not sure — presumably an HDR signal triggers/enables a different HDR-specific picture mode.

One thing I’m never quite sure of with these reviews is whether the HDR measurements are taken before or after calibration. Perhaps someone here could clarify. I assume calibration doesn’t affect the peak brightness etc, but I don’t know if the DCI-P3 results are OOTB or not.

Not sure — presumably an HDR signal triggers/enables a different HDR-specific picture mode.

One thing I’m never quite sure of with these reviews is whether the HDR measurements are taken before or after calibration. Perhaps someone here could clarify. I assume calibration doesn’t affect the peak brightness etc, but I don’t know if the DCI-P3 results are OOTB or not.
I thought Filmmaker mode could be used for everything except for Dolby Vision but maybe I'm wrong.

I thought Filmmaker mode could be used for everything except for Dolby Vision but maybe I'm wrong.
Yeah I’m not sure. It would be good if somebody who‘s used this or a similar TV could clarify.

Review: Philips OLED805 (OLED855, OLED865)
Interesting that Rasmus has also gone with ISF Night for SDR, but ISF Day or Movie for HDR. I don’t think Phil’s review states what mode he used for HDR. I’m intrigued to know what settings Rasmus tweaked to hit 900 nits in HDR; shame there are only settings shown for SDR.

I have the 55oled805, when playing itv hub content the screensaver continually triggers & after 40min ish the sound goes off, to get the sound back I have stop & start the program.
Does anyone have an answer Pillips are difficult to contact.

How ist the motion of the 805 compared to the new Sony A8 or Panasonic. I had the Philips 873 and the motion was not very good on this but maybe this changed. Thanks.

While I agree about the image quality, the motion is very bad to say the least compared to Sony or Panasonic (I tested both too). You can't get a smooth motion without artefacts on this TV.

Thanks for this comment, this has dented my enthusiasm for the new 935 model with its sound bar against a possible Sony 48 purchase.

How ist the motion of the 805 compared to the new Sony A8 or Panasonic. I had the Philips 873 and the motion was not very good on this but maybe this changed. Thanks.

I have an A8 and an 805 and motion is noticeably better on the Sony A8. The 805's motion settings add artifacts on quick moving content for anything above the minimum setting, where as the Sony no matter what settings you pick it never distorts. That said no one else in my house can tell the difference, and in my experience the 805 is much more user friendly if you're buying and want others in the house to use it who aren't tech savvy (pause live TV, apps all in one place on the home screen, backlit remote etc) but the A8 is a better picture if you're a person who watches closely.

Last edited:
I have an A8 and an 805 and motion is noticeably better on the Sony A8. The 805's motion settings add artifacts on quick moving content for anything above the minimum setting, where as the Sony no matter what settings you pick it never distorts. That said no one else in my house can tell the difference, and in my experience the 805 is much more user friendly if you're buying and want others in the house to use it who aren't tech savvy (pause live TV, apps all in one place on the home screen, backlit remote etc) but the A8 is a better picture if you're a person who watches closely.
Thank you so much for your help. Just the information i needed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom