Photography General Chat Thread

I’m a member of the e-group forum for Olympus users - the Olympus strategy has been for the most part to release higher end models (in the west). At e-group they all moan about the cost of the latest E-M1 or 5 then gradually they seem to upgrade anyway, then say how much better the new one is. The demographic is towards the older end of the spectrum. Size and weight being a big factor.
There are new members but generally older retirees.

There is a problem that most cameras are “good enough” and innovation is hard to push forward. I certainly don’t have any firm plans to upgrade my current 3yr old body unless something goes wrong with it.

When I was in Japan in 2018 the number of PEN and similar smaller bodies being carried around by younger people was striking.
I think the home market is different but probably not big enough to sustain the number of camera companies around.

The combination of the rise of the smartphone and mirrorless cameras in the last 5-10 years has seen a big shake-up in the industry, one which will likely see several companies pulling out altogether unless they can carve out a profitable segment in the industry.

I was working in the photo processing department of boots in 2006 and we had hundreds of rolls of film to process everyday. Many of them from cheap, single use, disposable camera that people would buy just to take on holiday. I'm guessing that whole market is gone now.

Although most people consider their smartphone their only camera I do think a portion of those users will actually want to take it further and invest in an interchangeable lens system. They will be in the minority but if they enjoy taking pictures, it can become a passion or a hobby.

In a way the industry might be shifting back to numbers seen before the digital era, with only pros and hobbyists using dedicated cameras.

I was reading the rules on photography in the Royal parks in London and they do not allow any images to be taken with an interchangeable lens camera without prior permission and a license, even if you are an amateur. They have several payment tiers from amateur portfolio to full commercial use, but they have the view that if you use a dedicated camera, you must pay. Only phone photography is allowed for personal use.

I'm currently using a 6D mkII and have all the lenses I actually need. I have been tempted to buy a 14mm ultrawide and the 400mm f/5.6 but these are on the extreme ends that I know will hardly get any use so I have not pulled the trigger. I have also not felt the need to switch systems as I don't think it's worth the hassle as I've been using Canon for years and despite not having the very latest tech, they just work and the ergonomics are just right for me.

Both the R5 and R6 are looking to be excellent cameras, but I don't need them right now. Maybe in two or three years when the price has come down a bit I might consider moving over to the RF system. GAS can be a problem though. Having spent a few years building up my lens collection it's nice not having to put money aside for another expensive piece of kit and just enjoy what I have.

For example new mirrorless cameras have features not found on DSLRs so there is a distinct difference between the two but how will future revisions in mirrorless cameras lure people to upgrade their kit when it will likely only be small upgrades, a few mega pixels here, slightly longer battery life or faster frames per second.

There are features on the high end mirrorless that are lacking on the 'entry level' models, and these will gradually 'trickle down';
Things like Eye AF (Human, with increasing accuracy, then Animal, with a growing range of animals which are recognised) - from conversations with Wedding Photographers, it's one of those things you initially think "I don't need that, I've managed fine without it", but then when you use it you realise it can be a big factor in keeper rate.
The 'no blackout' option at high FPS that the Sony A9 / A9ii have, due to the special sensor design, which also minimises rolling shutter.
The (not available yet) Global Shutter, which is could be the next 'big' enhancement, and means the elimination of rolling shutter, banding, etc. and the advent of cameras with no mechanical shutter at all.
Added connectivity options - faster WiFi and tethering.
Better and longer video (unlimitied longer 4k, 8k, etc.)
Further improvements to EVF.

I'd say we have a few years worth of upgrades yet.

Interesting article on food prep for photography.
A bit light on detail but interesting all the same.
I'd use Incognito to accept and then lose the millions of cookies on Wired

Well I never knew AVForums had a Flickr group?

Found this thread in a search - I won't raise it from the dead

Well I never knew AVForums had a Flickr group?

Found this thread in a search - I won't raise it from the dead
I’ve not been on it for some time as it was dead for ages but it looks like there’s been plenty of activity recently :smashin:

Not sure if anyone else has been following
Rankin 2020 on social media?

The TV show looking at the results is on Sky Arts - which is on Freeview TV (which was news to me).

I enjoyed the first episode "Empathy" - worth a look

Sky Arts are also showing/probably repeating Master Photographer which I couldn't watch before as we didn't have any Sky channels last time around.

Not sure if anyone else has been following
Rankin 2020 on social media?

The TV show looking at the results is on Sky Arts - which is on Freeview TV (which was news to me).

I enjoyed the first episode "Empathy" - worth a look

Sky Arts are also showing/probably repeating Master Photographer which I couldn't watch before as we didn't have any Sky channels last time around.
The Rankin thing looks good, the only issue is that it very much highlights my inadequacies as a photographer when I see what Joe Blogs can come up with using a phone or basic compact camera :facepalm: :laugh:

The episode I watched last night (not sure when it recorded) had a mix of phones and cameras - but the phone shots were taken by a pro and the semi professional was using a 1D IIRC :)
FWIW they list the gear and settings which is moderately interesting.

I was amused that Rankin took his picture with a small, unobtrusive camera - a Leica M :eek:

Really.................

NO film used here !

Image5.jpg
Image5.jpg
DSCN1169.JPG
edited watch.jpg
Image1.jpg
Image3.jpg
Image5.jpg
Image8.jpg
Image10.jpg
Image15.jpg

I'm currently sat on the fence on the Nikon Z6 II..... Anyone here has one and highly recommend it?

I have a D800 which I have owned for some time and an absolute tonne of Nikon Glass!

So I really can't be bothered to shift it all to switch to another Brand.

SORRY I posted this here it was meant for Rollei user, ooooops

I'm currently sat on the fence on the Nikon Z6 II..... Anyone here has one and highly recommend it?

I have a D800 which I have owned for some time and an absolute tonne of Nikon Glass!

So I really can't be bothered to shift it all to switch to another Brand.
I’ve not used the Z6-II but did have the Z7 and thought it was excellent. AF was behind the curve initially but with subsequent firmware updates it got very close. The Gen II’s are supposed to be even better so would expect performance to easily out perform the D800. The beauty with mirrorless is that focus accuracy is much better than DSLR, meaning that you generally get sharper shots. The only thing I’d question for you is the ergonomics. For me the Z7 is probably the best camera I’ve used in terms of ergonomics, but it’s much smaller than the D800 and so might not suit everyone. That being said I swapped the D850 for the Z7 and preferred the Z7.

Interesting reading...

Interesting reading...

I'm not really someone who uses my phone for photos anyway, but it would be more useful if they included a few more side by side comparisons of the same shot.

Want to get my first polarising filter but don't know which path to take. Do I get the one filter for my main lens or do I buy into a more expensive system that fits all..

Want to get my first polarising filter but don't know which path to take. Do I get the one filter for my main lens or do I buy into a more expensive system that fits all..
You’ll get varying opinions on this. My opinion is if you’re going to use it on different lenses buy one big enough for the lens with the biggest filter thread and then use step up rings for the other lenses. Also buy a decent quality one from the outset.

You’ll get varying opinions on this. My opinion is if you’re going to use it on different lenses buy one big enough for the lens with the biggest filter thread and then use step up rings for the other lenses. Also buy a decent quality one from the outset.

Thankfully bought a Hoya last night for my biggest lens!!

Is it wise to walk around with it on ? Or are they mainly for staged shots when you have time to put them on. Even if I'm losing a stop of light with it on should be able to compensate. Unless there's another detrimental effect

I'll keep it on during really bright sunny days to counter reflections on medium to long lenses, with a lens hood on too. Each time you use it you'll need to rotate back and forth a bit to check you have it set correctly. Otherwise only put it on when needed.

Thankfully bought a Hoya last night for my biggest lens!!

Is it wise to walk around with it on ? Or are they mainly for staged shots when you have time to put them on. Even if I'm losing a stop of light with it on should be able to compensate. Unless there's another detrimental effect
As above you can leave it on, but you have to make sure it's not causing any unwanted effects, for example polarisers aren't always great to use with ultra wide angle lenses as they can cause an uneven effect in blue skies. Also they do slightly decrease the light entering the camera so can cause a higher ISO to be needed.

I bought a cheap one for a kit lens to play with and discovered it was producing some oddness at 14mm (28mm equivalent).

I bought an Amazon Basics version for my current walkabout zoom but tbh I don't think I've used it for anything other than testing - but then I haven't been for a solo landscape walk for so long that's not surprising!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom