Picture quality seems better from terrestrial?

mc100

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have recently purchased a Sky subscription with Hd and seem to find the picture quality not as good as through my Topfield freeview receiver when watching the same channels.

They are both run through a DVDO vp30 if this makes any difference and the Sky box is an Amstrad (I don't know if the quality differs between Sky boxes).

Is this what I should be expecting?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Depends what channels, whether the satellite dish is pointing in exactly the right direction, whether the TV aerial is pointing in exactly the right direction, which terrestrial transmitter the TV aerial is pointing at etc etc etc.

Some channels have higher bandwidth and resoultion (and therefore better picture quality) on satellite - some on terrestrial.

Oh o.k.

I was comparing ITV1 for instance and could see a definite difference in pq.

The signal stregnth is quite strong so I pressume the dish is pointing in the right direction.

Most ITV SD channels were known to transmit with a higher resolution via terrestrial than satellite.

The signal strength is quite strong, so I presume the dish is pointing in the right direction.

Signal strength won't affect picture quality with digital, unless it's so bad as to cause break up. :lesson:

As said above, it's down to bit rate.

Sounds about right to me. I would rate the picture quality as 1st Sky HD channels through DVI/HDMI socket
2nd Freeview terrestrial through S-video and 3rd Sky non HD channels through DVI/HDMI. Sky channels through RF are so poor by comparison that it has been relegated to being purely a way to relay signal to the bedrooms upstairs.
I would rate Freeview HD as being better quality than SkyHD for BBC ITV and S4C. Were it not for SkySports and, now, 3D then I think Sky would be cancelled!

Sky channels through RF are so poor by comparison that it has been relegated to being purely a way to relay signal to the bedrooms upstairs
Relegated from what - what else would it be used for? :confused:

Relegated from what - what else would it be used for? :confused:

In the old days before digital the RFs were split between main TV, VCR, DVD recorder and the kitchen TV. I used a videosender device to send the scart signal upstairs. Now everyone in the house has a laptop and all the neighbors have wireless routers too the sender didn't work that well so instead of supplying the devices downstairs the RF2 is connected upstairs via the coax cable and the holes I drilled.
I suppose it's been relegated to doing what it was supposed to have been doing all along!:D

Gocha! :thumbsup: Did it do all that on its own, without a booster?

Gocha! :thumbsup: Did it do all that on its own, without a booster?

Looking back, surprisingly, yes it did all work. Out of RF1 into DVDrecorder and out of DVD RF passthrough into TV1. Out of RF2 into VCR and out of VCR into TV2 in kitchen! This allowed TV, Sky and VCR to be watched in kitchen via RF.
and TV, Sky, DVD and VCR to be watched in living room via RF and Scarts!
When Sky became Sky+ the VCR became obsolete and the room seemed to get bigger!
Sky RF outputs can still be used to record onto my DVD rec. though I haven't done so for a good while now:rolleyes:

Clever stuff. :):clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom