Pioneer introduces two ‘reference’ av receivers, the SC-LX904 and SC-LX704

MeanDorris

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Not a lover of Pioneer receivers but the SACD player, that's a different matter. They've got a very good multi channel player with the LX500 4K player. Very interesting. Hard to find any information other than what you've provided.

MMMmmmmm does this mean 7 is the new 8 i wonder ? Amplification upgarde is next on my radar find it the most difficult one to decide TBH really want to try something different as had 3 Pioneer Amps in the last 23 years following a starter Yamaha but i'm afraid i not going to like the change :eek:

… can't find any other reference on AVF in the news section or elsewhere.

I believe that Onkyo/Pioneer stopped being "friends" with AVForums some time ago and no longer provide hardware to AVForums for review.

The only source of such announcements would be Pioneer's own press release and this is the only thing that any other outlet will have had that informs them of the new models. I can only assume that Pioneer didn't forward the associated press release to AVForums due to the rather awkward relationship between AVForums and Onkyo/Pioneer?

MMMmmmmm does this mean 7 is the new 8 i wonder ? Amplification upgarde is next on my radar find it the most difficult one to decide TBH really want to try something different as had 3 Pioneer Amps in the last 23 years following a starter Yamaha but i'm afraid i not going to like the change :eek:

Pioneer AV receivers are not strictly speaking Pioneer products anymore. Pioneer AV was sold off to Onkyo in 2015 and Onkyo along with Pioneer AV have now also changed hands. Gibson (the guitar people) sold them off to to Sound United. Sound United also own Denon and Marantz.

It also has to be stressed that the D class amplification still utilised onboard the upper rtier Pioneer products long since ceased being the Ice designed D class ampligication that won them notoriety. This was not their's and the design was licensed externally. Pioneer did start using a design of their own though, but this hasn't received the same kind of acclaim that the Ice D class amplification gained them.

The only real thing that the modern day Pioneer models have over Onkyo products is MCACC room EQ.

Thanks for the info Dante..... Pretty much what I thought tbh.... The ice power in my 71 is pretty much why Ive kept it so long but I got that itch you know 😁

It also has to be stressed that the D class amplification still utilised onboard the upper rtier Pioneer products long since ceased being the Ice designed D class ampligication that won them notoriety. This was not their's and the design was licensed externally. Pioneer did start using a design of their own though, but this hasn't received the same kind of acclaim that the Ice D class amplification gained them.
Weren't the ICE powered amps from Bang & Olufsen? I believe my old SC-LX83 had them as does my current Susano (SC-LX90).
Yes now they use their own "Direct Energy HD" amps, of which the 904 has the 6th generation.

As said, it is licensed and is utilised by many different manufacturers within their products. It isn't something that is exclusive to any one particular manufacturer. They have to pay the patent owner in order to be able to use that design.

One of the major issues associated with going with D Class amplification is the fact that most of the designs belong to other concerns which means that you either have to pay to use those designs or ypu've to spend more on developing your own than you'd need to spend if just going with a A/B Class solution.

I saw SC-LX704 has been released in HongKong and Europe. Don't know when it will hit US... >_<
Expecting its Audio Exclusive Mode. :smashin:

Anyone know when these will be released in the UK? I was led to believe that it would be sometime this month (November), but I've just heard that they have been delayed until the first quarter of next year :(

Pioneer AV receivers are not strictly speaking Pioneer products anymore. Pioneer AV was sold off to Onkyo in 2015 and Onkyo along with Pioneer AV have now also changed hands. Gibson (the guitar people) sold them off to to Sound United. Sound United also own Denon and Marantz.

I believe Sound United have ended their interest in purchasing Onkyo and Pioneer Sound United ends plan to buy Onkyo and Pioneer

Anyone know when these will be released in the UK? I was led to believe that it would be sometime this month (November), but I've just heard that they have been delayed until the first quarter of next year :(
They are being shipped to UK on November 30th. Available in store or delivery in UK first week in December.

That's good news, thank you.

I see the new amps no longer have the "Air Studios" tuning certification that the top of the range models used to have. A cost saving measure I assume?

Does anyone know if they have HDMI 2.1?

I see the new amps no longer have the "Air Studios" tuning certification that the top of the range models used to have. A cost saving measure I assume?

Does anyone know if they have HDMI 2.1?
No HDMI 2.1 by the look of it which is disappointing given that we've had to wait so long for this latest Elite range but I can't wait any longer so trigger has been pulled.

No HDMI 2.1 by the look of it which is disappointing given that we've had to wait so long for this latest Elite range but I can't wait any longer so trigger has been pulled.

No AV receiver launched this year includes HDMI version 2.1. No receiver is scheduled to get it until next year. No manufacturer has suggested otherwise.

It is no surprise that these models don't include it and would have been a miracle had they of done so. There is simply not the supply of necessary chipsets to fulfill demands.

What is surprising is that Pioneer (Onkyo) would bother releasing a new flagship model this year and not wait until next year to include HDMI version 2.1. Denon/Marantz have witheld launching any replacement models this year for their higher tier models and Yamaha haven't bothered replacing any of their models at all this year. They are willing to wait until they can readilly facilitate HDMI version 2.1 as opposed to trying to sell models lacking it this year. Denon's current flagship receiver will also be getting a paid HDMI version 2.1 upgrade option.

Last edited:
I saw it does have HDCP 2.3 which most receivers do not, but the HDMI version was not mentioned in the blurb I read.
I thought the delay in release may have been related to that (still not available to purchase in the UK currently).

I saw it does have HDCP 2.3 which most receivers do not, but the HDMI version was not mentioned in the blurb I read.
I thought the delay in release may have been related to that (still not available to purchase in the UK currently).
Pioneer are getting pretty poor at implementing their promises of late. Problems certainly arising with the LX500 and LX800 4K players with the HDR10+ firmware upgrade. Promised for Spring, delayed until this Autumn of which there is less than a week left. Ah well. :(

I saw it does have HDCP 2.3 which most receivers do not,

All of Yamaha's models dating from 2017 onward include HDCP 2.3 as do all of Denon's and Marantz's models released this year.

It may also be worth mentioning that you'll not need HDCP 2.3 to continue to get the same features you already get in association with UHD encoded video. The newer variant will simply prevent non complianr devices accessing new deatures or service that are as yet not being implemented in association with commercial UHD video releases. HDCPallows for backward compatability so even if you cannot access the new features, you'll still be able to access anything you could previously access using HDCP 2.2.

Last edited:
That's good news, thank you.
Just got a call from my supplier and they have received my SC-LX704 and shipping on to me now. Going away for the weekend so it will be next week before I get a chance to play.

from the sc-lx704 manual and website description, it supports eARC, which it supports HDMI 2.1

No AV receiver from any manufactuer will include HDMI version 2.1 until next year.

eARC can be implemented in association with HDMI version 2.0b and doesn't require an HDMI version 2.1 chipset. Many HDMI version 2.0b equipped receivers have either already shipped with eARC or have been updated to give them this ability. Enhanced ARC is a feature associated with HDMI version 2.1, but not one exclusive to that version.

No, the LX704 is not equipped with HDMI version 2.1.

As to HDCP 2.3, Yamaha have had all their models launched since 2017 include it and all of Denon's and Marantz's new models also include compliance. HDMI version 2.1 is not required in order to implement or facilitate HDCP 2.3.

If either of these 2 Pioneer models were HDMI version 2.1 compiant or inclusive then you'd be hearing a lot more about it than you are. Even if not mentioning the version, you'd be seeing Pioneer posting video specifications in alignment with handling 8K video. This is basically what HDMI version 2.1 concerns and is needed for.

Last edited:

The only real thing that the modern day Pioneer models have over Onkyo products is MCACC room EQ.

Do you know if the SC-LX701 (released late 2016) uses Ice Class D?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom