Pioneer introduces two ‘reference’ av receivers, the SC-LX904 and SC-LX704

Just got a call from my supplier and they have received my SC-LX704 and shipping on to me now. Going away for the weekend so it will be next week before I get a chance to play.

Can I ask where you got it from? I've been looking around all the usual places online and can't find any retailer with stock or listed as available for pre-order.

Do you know if the SC-LX701 (released late 2016) uses Ice Class D?

No idea as to the design, but the receiver does use Class D amplification.

• Amplification Type: Class D (Direct Energy HD)

I'd have expected the documentation to mention if using the ICEpower design.

My local AV suppliers will get me an LX704 on special order, but they are not stocking them in general. Annoyingly they are also asking £1699 which is more than the $1599 our American cousins are being asked to pay...

My local AV suppliers will get me an LX704 on special order, but they are not stocking them in general. Annoyingly they are also asking £1699 which is more than the $1599 our American cousins are being asked to pay...

I'm surprised...Peter Tyson, Richer Sounds, Sevenoaks...none of them have the SC-LX704 listed to order.

Part of me is tempted to look at getting a Denon AVR-X4500H instead of the SC-LX704. Peter Tyson currently offering it for £999 and trade-in deals.

So not Ice, according to the spec, but Direct Energy HD...
No I don’t think the LX701 is ICE powered.
From memory the last ones that were are the SC-LX83 range. I know the amps changed a lot when the LX85 came out, and some people who owned both preferred the sound of the older 83.
Edit: this is the thread I was remembering:

Last edited:
Can I ask where you got it from? I've been looking around all the usual places online and can't find any retailer with stock or listed as available for pre-order.
Sorry didn't see this question. I got it from Audio Emotion in Scotland.

Sorry didn't see this question. I got it from Audio Emotion in Scotland.

That's OK, I didn't see your reply until now! Coincidentally, I put a deposit down on an SC-LX704 today with Audio Emotion! Decided to bite the bullet and trade-in my SC-LX701.

Do post your views on the SC-LX704 when you've had a chance to set it up and spend some time with it! Mine won't arrive just yet...

That's OK, I didn't see your reply until now! Coincidentally, I put a deposit down on an SC-LX704 today with Audio Emotion! Decided to bite the bullet and trade-in my SC-LX701.

Do post your views on the SC-LX704 when you've had a chance to set it up and spend some time with it! Mine won't arrive just yet...
Nice one! Funnily enough I'm also replacing an SC-LX701. My new amp is due to arrive today. It should have been here on Wednesday but DPD couriers decided to take it back to Holland so its had a bit of a trek getting to me. Installation of the amp, an LX500 UHD Blu Ray player and a 65" Oled due on Wednesday so I'll let you know first impressions.

LX500 UHD Blu Ray
Don't think you'll be disappointed on that score although it's still waiting for the HDR10+ update, promised and promised and promised by Pioneer and they really do need to pull their fingers out.

I don’t suppose any of you know how to get the sub working on Bluetooth via the Arcam r-blink on a Pioneer sc-lx81 amp? I would be really grateful if someone could tell me how to do it, at the moment the sub is just switched off when I listen to music via the Bluetooth And the TV with sound from the amp. Thanks!

I don’t suppose any of you know how to get the sub working on Bluetooth via the Arcam r-blink on a Pioneer sc-lx81 amp? I would be really grateful if someone could tell me how to do it, at the moment the sub is just switched off when I listen to music via the Bluetooth And the TV with sound from the amp. Thanks!

2 channel stereo sources don't include an LFE channel which would ordinarilly be handled by a sub if and when such a channel is present. If wanting to engage the sub in conjunction with audio devoid of an LFE channel then you'd need to designate your speakers as being SMALL within the receiver's speaker configurations and then set a crossover point at which the receiver would direct frequencies at and below that crossover away from the speakers designated SMALL out to the external active subwoofer.

snapshot003.jpg

Contrary to what the above states and what Pioneer recommend, set all speakers as being SMALL iirespective of their physical size and or rated abilities. I'd also suggest you avoid using the "Double Bass" setting as this can give rise to bass boom issues.

Last edited:
2 channel stereo sources don't include an LFE channel which would ordinarilly be handled by a sub if and when such a channel is present. If wanting to engage the sub in conjunction with audio devoid of an LFE channel then you'd need to designate your speakers as being SMALL within the receiver's speaker configurations and then set a crossover point at which the receiver would direct frequencies at and below that crossover away from the speakers designated SMALL out to the external active subwoofer.
Thanks mate.

l am waiting for RS to get these in stock currently have the LX901....had it 10 months, cant use its power....so going for the LX704....Sorry but l dont see the attraction of buying a Denon been there before and build quality and looks dont compare

l am waiting for RS to get these in stock currently have the LX901....had it 10 months, cant use its power....so going for the LX704....Sorry but l dont see the attraction of buying a Denon been there before and build quality and looks dont compare
I think you’ll be waiting a long time...
I called my nearest RS and they said they wouldn’t be stocking it, but could do a special order to get one in.
You should probably call them.

I think you’ll be waiting a long time...
I called my nearest RS and they said they wouldn’t be stocking it, but could do a special order to get one in.
You should probably call them.

l Texted the guy l bought all my kit from RS in Glasgow today asking him about the LX704 stock, if its a special order so be it cant see the price being more than what Audio Emotion are asking for ,they're AV receivers prices are expensive so say the least and they're stock is limited in choice.
Perhaps Peter Tyson will stock it...this LX704 will be in Silver for a change FED UP with black one's lol

They'll be a SC LX901 up for soon l hope

l Texted the guy l bought all my kit from RS in Glasgow today asking him about the LX704 stock, if its a special order so be it cant see the price being more than what Audio Emotion are asking for ,they're AV receivers prices are expensive so say the least and they're stock is limited in choice.
Perhaps Peter Tyson will stock it...this LX704 will be in Silver for a change FED UP with black one's lol

£1,699 typical ripoff Britain, available in the US for $1,599.

Have you asked Audio Emotion what they will give you for your 901? They are offering £100 off the RRP as well for the 704 if you pre-order one in black as they are awaiting the next shipment. It might not apply to the silver one though, unless they have now sold out of the silver ones they had in stock last week!

Have you asked Audio Emotion what they will give you for your 901? They are offering £100 off the RRP as well for the 704 if you pre-order one in black as they are awaiting the next shipment. It might not apply to the silver one though, unless they have now sold out of the silver ones they had in stock last week!

Hi mate l made a product enquiry to Audio Emotion last night then today, they then got back to me this morning,cut a long story short paid a deposit on a silver LX704...Salesman said they are due in the next 7 days....best l could get off for a cash sale was £80 without a trade in...he said the profit margins on this new receiver are slim,he offered me a fair trade in price for the LX901 so i took it,l got a good deal on my LX901 as bought it with the LX500 along with another few bits and bobs...realistically l didnt loose as much as l thought l was going to.

According to the Audio Emotion sales Guy....its a totally different receiver....vastly improved over the LX701/901....and to be honest l never really clicked with the LX901 a Kalashnikov to a knife fight in the size of my room...l had a LX77 and a LX57 a few years ago....done the same thing swapped the LX77 for the LX57 which was a cracking bit of kit especially in THX mode....hopefully this LX704 will be the same.....looking forward to having one finished in silver for a change...lol

£1,699 typical ripoff Britain, available in the US for $1,599.

My car is £5000 cheaper is the USA....VAST... and more competitive market....hence things are cheaper across the Pond...but yes rip off Britian

Hi mate l made a product enquiry to Audio Emotion last night then today, they then got back to me this morning,cut a long story short paid a deposit on a silver LX704...Salesman said they are due in the next 7 days....best l could get off for a cash sale was £80 without a trade in...he said the profit margins on this new receiver are slim,he offered me a fair trade in price for the LX901 so i took it,l got a good deal on my LX901 as bought it with the LX500 along with another few bits and bobs...realistically l didnt loose as much as l thought l was going to.

According to the Audio Emotion sales Guy....its a totally different receiver....vastly improved over the LX701/901....and to be honest l never really clicked with the LX901 a Kalashnikov to a knife fight in the size of my room...l had a LX77 and a LX57 a few years ago....done the same thing swapped the LX77 for the LX57 which was a cracking bit of kit especially in THX mode....hopefully this LX704 will be the same.....looking forward to having one finished in silver for a change...lol

Good news that they're coming into stock very shortly and that you got a fair trade-in price for your 901! I am also hoping the black finish 704s come into stock at Audio Emotion at the same time!

Interesting what you were told about the 704 being a totally different receiver and vastly improved over the 701/901. I could have taken a silver 704 from stock as at the time I had initially made enquiries about availability and trade-in deals, they had some. Audio Emotion told me they had some black 704s in stock the just prior to me contacting them, but hold sold out and were waiting for the next shipment. I did consider taking a silver 704 but decided it would look odd in the rack even though there's a white turntable on the top shelf!

Hello,

I bought a pioneer elite sc-lx 704 during black friday, I got a 400 $ rebate (1599 $ CAN instead of 1999 $) the pioneer cost 1048 GBP in your currency.
3B8132B8-2E18-47AB-BC9B-470A6B41948A.jpeg

986B0DBB-3BF8-4AA7-9790-5C215E6DDE83.jpeg

after a few days of use I am delighted with my pioneer, there are details in the soundtrack that I did not have with my onkyo,

The precision of the sound effects is incredible and I did not know that my focal dome could offer a sound like this

I watched Captain Marvel and at the beginning of the movie when Carol dreams and we see the explosion and the earth falling to the ground, there are lots of little details in the soundtrack around me that I don't hadn't noticed with my old receiver.

I am a neophyte, but I hear the difference for having had the 3 MCACC at home and the PRO version of the lx704 is impressive of efficiency (IMHO)

D2124E6A-EF0D-4296-B8BD-6001EAB4D507.jpeg

the depth of the device is greater (onkyo 378mm vs pioneer 440mm),

A02D2CEE-9D9E-49D2-AD4C-670914A77084.jpeg

so I left more space between my audio / video unit and the wall to be able to close the door and the hdmi cables are stuck on the wall, I don't like that but I have no choice.

no regrets for buying this pioneer
smile.gif

——————

what do you think about this kind of adapter

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/adaptateu...6324022&sr=8-2

see you

Attachments

• F28FEE35-3B9E-45BA-BE66-877A11D118FA.jpeg
    F28FEE35-3B9E-45BA-BE66-877A11D118FA.jpeg
    207.3 KB · Views: 56
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hello,

I bought a pioneer elite sc-lx 704 during black friday, I got a 400 $ rebate (1599 $ CAN instead of 1999 $) the pioneer cost 1048 GBP in your currency.
View attachment 1232720

View attachment 1232718

after a few days of use I am delighted with my pioneer, there are details in the soundtrack that I did not have with my onkyo,

The precision of the sound effects is incredible and I did not know that my focal dome could offer a sound like this

I watched Captain Marvel and at the beginning of the movie when Carol dreams and we see the explosion and the earth falling to the ground, there are lots of little details in the soundtrack around me that I don't hadn't noticed with my old receiver.

I am a neophyte, but I hear the difference for having had the 3 MCACC at home and the PRO version of the lx704 is impressive of efficiency (IMHO)

View attachment 1232721

the depth of the device is greater (onkyo 378mm vs pioneer 440mm),

View attachment 1232723

so I left more space between my audio / video unit and the wall to be able to close the door and the hdmi cables are stuck on the wall, I don't like that but I have no choice.

no regrets for buying this pioneer
smile.gif

——————

what do you think about this kind of adapter

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/adaptateu...6324022&sr=8-2

see you
Very nice and cheap....lol but glad we dont get that Gold embossed logo and decals ... plus the Gold Led display....

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom