Pioneer introduces two ‘reference’ av receivers, the SC-LX904 and SC-LX704

Is there any difference with the 904 over the 704 other than the extra channels and power?

Hello buzz,

here is a comparison table

when we look at the back of the 904 the finish looks better

lx 704

C9-A2-B62-A-12-F0-49-A8-AAEE-5-BA008-BF853-D.jpg

lx 904

FDC3-ED53-1-B75-4-DBD-974-C-65-C0573-E19-B5.jpg

see you

Hello buzz,

lx 704

lx 904

see you

Reminds of the time l got the Pioneer LX77....It had gold plated connections and different binding posts plus it was Air Studios approved chopped in after a week for the LX57....NEVER...regretted that move,best receiver l have ever had,l could easily have got a LX904 £2320 after discount got nothing off the LX704 So a extra £620 not that much more but like l said they aint a better sounding machine they just go louder

Having more power isn't a matter f making a receiver go louder. THe power would be needed in larger rooms whereby more power is need to attain reference because the speakers would be further away from the listener. You'd also attain more headroom and you'd be less likely to introduce distortion or noise if you've such headroom.

No one realistically needs to attain listning levels exceeding reference, but attaining such levels will not be the same irrespective of the space you are listening in. A larger room requires more power to drive the same speakers to reference relative to where you are sat.

Last edited:
Hello buzz,

lx 704

lx 904

see you
Cheers, so other than the power rating, and two extra channels, (plus the build quality/materials used), the main differences are the low leakage power transformer, and the multi-ch analogue audio in connections.

They seem almost identical otherwise, I only need 9 channels for 5.1.4, I can’t accommodate the speakers for 7.1.4 in my room.

Hola.
¿podría decirme si el sistema de calibración ha mejorado?
ese administrador de subwoofer de esto es un poco limitado y, sobre todo, me gustaría saber si ha mejorado,

Cheers, so other than the power rating, and two extra channels, (plus the build quality/materials used), the main differences are the low leakage power transformer, and the multi-ch analogue audio in connections.

They seem almost identical otherwise, I only need 9 channels for 5.1.4, I can’t accommodate the speakers for 7.1.4 in my room.

The LX704 and the LX701 have connections for 11 speakers...... 7.2.4

Still no word from Audio Emotion about my LX704 arriving,they have until Friday morning if not i'll cancel get my deposit back and buy from somewhere else in the new year or maybe go for the LX904 instead for bragging about...lol ,whole point of me ordering last Friday was because l wanted it for Xmas as l am off work for 2 weeks so gives me time to set it up and enjoy, plus l have 2 sets of new speakers to wire and install, 2 in ceiling/Atmos the other 2 are B&W as side surrounds both need wired up through the room and into the loft...sounds easy enough but it aint...lol plus l have got to buy some invisible like containment for that stupidly sized Chord Company Clearway speaker cable....

The LX704 and the LX701 have connections for 11 speakers...... 7.2.4

Not true - they are 9 channels and can only do 5.1.4 (atmos) without an external 2 channel amp. The 901/4 with 11 channels would be needed for 7.1.4

Not true - they are 9 channels and can only do 5.1.4 (atmos) without an external 2 channel amp. The 901/4 with 11 channels would be needed for 7.1.4

Why is there 11 sets of speaker binding posts then?

Makes no odds as to how many terminals there are, the 704 only has 9 channels of integral amplification so can only power 9 speakers simultaneously with the integral amplification included.

Makes no odds as to how many terminals there are, the 704 only has 9 channels of integral amplification so can only power 9 speakers simultaneously with the integral amplification included.
Half answered....but why has is it 11 sets of speaker terminals....? so basically your saying if you connect 11 sets of speakers 4 atmos plus a 7.1 you'll get no output from from a set??

Half answered....but why has is it 11 sets of speaker terminals....? so basically your saying if you connect 11 sets of speakers 4 atmos plus a 7.1 you'll get no output from from a set??

It’s to allow for differing speaker arrangements. Some of the internal amps can be reassigned to different terminals depending on the speaker format required. Check out the online manual LX701 if you can’t find the 704, it’s basically the same.

Some receivers allow you to still connect more speakers than they've the integral amplification to power. THe receiver would automatically reconfigure its amplification assignments dependant upon factors such as format, zone and or mode.

You could for instance havea a 7.1.2 setup in a main room and still have 2 second zone speakers connected. THe receiver would redirect the Atmos effects amplification to the second zone if that zone is engaged, leaving you with a 7.1 setup in the main room while the second zone is in use.

The recever itself can only power 9 speakers at any one time.

Some receivers allow you to still connect more speakers than they've the integral amplification to power. THe receiver would automatically reconfigure its amplification assignments dependant upon factors such as format, zone and or mode.

You could for instance havea a 7.1.2 setup in a main room and still have 2 second zone speakers connected. THe receiver would redirect the Atmos effects amplification to the second zone if that zone is engaged, leaving you with a 7.1 setup in the main room while the second zone is in use.

The recever itself can only power 9 speakers at any one time.

Just Emailed Audio Emotion to change my order of the LX704 to the LX904, in Silver of course and in time for Xmas, thanks for the info

I have a silver 704, received in error last Friday as I ordered black but, I have no intention of sending it back (to Germany) as it's mere cosmetic.

Just set it up and tinkering with the settings etc.

I have got it into my head that to justify the upgrade "visually" the receiver has got to be in silver besides it looks awesome in silver even though my LX500 is black

I have got it into my head that to justify the upgrade "visually" the receiver has got to be in silver besides it looks awesome in silver even though my LX500 is black

Took a bit of a punt ordering it from Germany. The colour doesn't bother me so much.

I only wanted mine in black because I've just got rid of a Denon X4500H in silver/gold and couldn't find a UHD spinner in silver. I intend to go back to the same company to purchase the LX500, now that the receiver has arrived and is a receiver and not a box of bricks:laugh:.

Still no word from Audio Emotion about my LX704 arriving,they have until Friday morning if not i'll cancel get my deposit back and buy from somewhere else in the new year or maybe go for the LX904 instead for bragging about...lol ,whole point of me ordering last Friday was because l wanted it for Xmas as l am off work for 2 weeks so gives me time to set it up and enjoy, plus l have 2 sets of new speakers to wire and install, 2 in ceiling/Atmos the other 2 are B&W as side surrounds both need wired up through the room and into the loft...sounds easy enough but it aint...lol plus l have got to buy some invisible like containment for that stupidly sized Chord Company Clearway speaker cable....

I don't have some of the logistical challenges that you have, although I do have some others to contend with. I'm waiting for a surveryor to sign off on the building work that was recently done on my house, I can't set up anything until that's done as it's right where I need to put the racks back and the gear on them!

I was hoping to be able to set up all the new stuff I've acquired over the Xmas break but alas...I have plenty of other things round the house to do so that now looks like being what I'll do. Also waiting for a BK Electronics subwoofer to turn up as well.

Hope the shipment of 704s turns up at Audio Emotion in time for you to set up over Xmas...

Just Emailed Audio Emotion to change my order of the LX704 to the LX904, in Silver of course and in time for Xmas, thanks for the info

Just seen this post before I replied to your earlier one! Audio Emotion has the 904s in stock? I'm sticking with the 704 in black...as tempting as it was to take a silver one at the time I first contacted them!

I've had a message from Audio Emotion to say the SC-LX704s are now in...certainly the black ones are, presumably some silver ones have turned up on the same shipment...

I've had a message from Audio Emotion to say the SC-LX704s are now in...certainly the black ones are, presumably some silver ones have turned up on the same shipment...

Give it a day or two to let them paint the black ones and let the paint dry ;)

By the way, Peter Tyson appear to have the 704 in stock in both black and the silver finish:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom