Pioneer introduces two ‘reference’ av receivers, the SC-LX904 and SC-LX704

This is the video of my faulty lx704 and it has now been forwarded to Pioneer via AE....Its a bedroom system remember lol

I can't quite make out the message on screen but, that's likely due to my eyes.

I'm certain you would've done it but, have you enabled 'enhanced' on the relevant HDMI port within the receivers settings?

I can't quite make out the message on screen but, that's likely due to my eyes.

I'm certain you would've done it but, have you enabled 'enhanced' on the relevant HDMI port within the receivers settings?
Hi there on my initial power up/calibration of the receiver l did enable the relevant HDMI ports mate...l have never had a proper video signal through the 704,l got about 2 seconds of a Menu screen from a 4k disc even then it was all washed out with a multitude of fine horizontal lines through it,there is no message on the screen what you are seeing is the sound/speaker configuration changing/disappearing all on its own very swiftly and the infrequent background sound is a track from a film disc in the player,you'll note if you look closely that the timeclock on the player is not interrupted, besides l have now disconnected the 704 from my system and it's now back in its damaged box....in hindsight l should'nt have even have taken it out of it's box
one last thing l did a factory reset and now it wont even give a home screen/start up menu on my TV

Hi there on my initial power up/calibration of the receiver l did enable the relevant HDMI ports mate...l have never had a proper video signal through the 704,l got about 2 seconds of a Menu screen from a 4k disc even then it was all washed out with a multitude of fine horizontal lines through it,there is no message on the screen what you are seeing is the sound/speaker configuration changing/disappearing all on its own very swiftly and the infrequent background sound is a track from a film disc in the player,you'll note if you look closely that the timeclock on the player is not interrupted, besides l have now disconnected the 704 from my system and it's now back in its damaged box....in hindsight l should'nt have even have taken it out of it's box
one last thing l did a factory reset and now it wont even give a home screen/start up menu on my TV

How immensely frustrating this must be for you. This should not be happening with a brand new receiver!

How immensely frustrating this must be for you. This should not be happening with a brand new receiver!

It was mate,l have already spoken with AE and they did mention something along the lines of a exchange...just before New Year but they are awaiting the decision of a Pioneer technician,but to be honest l aint interested now and AE have no lx704s left in stock

It was mate,l have already spoken with AE and they did mention something along the lines of a exchange...just before New Year but they are awaiting the decision of a Pioneer technician,but to be honest l aint interested now and AE have no lx704s left in stock

I'm with you, really disappointed. I still haven't heard from Pioneer via email. Christmas period or not, most corporations have some sort of level of staffing.

Regardless, it's on its way back to Germany. I'm hoping CES brings some good news re new products, that utilise the new HDMI spec too.

Last edited:

I really feel for you, that's terrible given that it's new and not exactly a cheap product. I'm not going to be able to set mine up for a while, as you know from my previous posts, but (sorry to sound selfish here) I hope I don't encounter the issues you have had with your 704.

I guess at some point I should open the box of the 704 I received from AE and check at least all looks OK inside. Your one, from what you said, sounded like it might have been out of the box at some point (although I doubt AE would have removed it for any reason, they would have had no need to).

Out of interest, did your 704 come with a black cling-wrap material wrapped around the cardboard box? Mine did, put there by AE not part of the Pioneer packaging.

Last edited:
I'm with you, really disappointed. I still haven't heard from Pioneer via email. Christmas period or not, most corporations have some sort of level of staffing.

Regardless, it's on its way back to Germany. I'm hoping CES brings some good news re new products, that hopefully utilise the HDMI spec too.

What a shame. I agree, there should be some level of staffing over the holidays.

Given that the LX904/704 have just been launched I would be surprised if any new AVRs in the SC- range get announced at CES...

If you have the unit for less than 30 days, that's 30 days from when you received it, not ordered it, then you can reject the unit and demand either a full refund or brand new replacement. If you wish to down that route then do not allow any repairs to be carried out.

If you have the unit for less than 30 days, that's 30 days from when you received it, not ordered it, then you can reject the unit and demand either a full refund or brand new replacement. If you wish to down that route then do not allow any repairs to be carried out.

That's a good point, 30 days full refund or straight replacement should be offered...

Still waiting on AE getting back to me,going to leave it until Monday to contact them....when most of the world starts back work,the Mrs is even annoyed cause it's got me down a little lol had a look at a Denon 6500h today probably through a hint of desperation on my behalf though but l dont like how their receivers feel and look "that's important to me",the 8500h looks better though but l am a Pioneer fanboy to be honest and what adds to the frustration is as l have mentioned l purchased 2 new sets of speakers and 30 metres of clearway speaker cable all wired and fitted...now lol a lot money for me personally to be honest,and because of what has happened l keep on thinking, wait for the receiver you really really want and that is the LX904 but l think i'll go back to Black next time lol

SC-LX904 now in stock at Hifix - £2499 though, too rich for me!
l have'nt contacted Hifix but i will...but l dont think they'll have it in stock as both Audio Emotion and Peter Tyson enquired on my behalf to Pioneer...and they both got the same reply from Pioneer..."The lx904 wont be coming to the UK until March" in total my LX704 has cost me £1734 so... another £700 odd quid in the grand scheme of things wont matter much if it makes me a happy chappy..March gives me more time to gather the extra money involved

l have'nt contacted Hifix but i will...but l dont think they'll have it in stock as both Audio Emotion and Peter Tyson enquired on my behalf to Pioneer...and they both got the same reply from Pioneer..."The lx904 wont be coming to the UK until March" in total my LX704 has cost me £1734 so... another £700 odd quid in the grand scheme of things wont matter much if it makes me a happy chappy..March gives me more time to gather the extra money involved
I don't think i'd be happy with the 704 so for me it would be the 904 or nothing. At the current prices that means nothing, but if it drops a fair amount into the year and there have been some good user reviews by then, then I may be tempted...I don't know if we'll see a 905 towards the end of the year, I'd assume not given the long gap between the 901 and 904 coming out.
It does say it's in stock at Hifix, but haven't contacted them to check.

I don't think i'd be happy with the 704 so for me it would be the 904 or nothing. At the current prices that means nothing, but if it drops a fair amount into the year and there have been some good user reviews by then, then I may be tempted...I don't know if we'll see a 905 towards the end of the year, I'd assume not given the long gap between the 901 and 904 coming out.
It does say it's in stock at Hifix, but haven't contacted them to check.

lt wont drop much at all in 2020 not like Denon receivers....

Hi Barney and Milano, just wondering if you have any updates yet?
I also have one of these, and although it seems to be working fine, I have held off on connecting it to the network, so it cant perform any firmware updates.
It would be interesting to hear if Pioneer have confirmed there is an issue with the latest firmware, and if/when they propose to fix this.
My first thoughts are there seems to be a bit more bass with this model, coming from an LX58, although, I haven't had time yet to go through the MCACC and other set up features.
Maybe we should start an owners thread ?
Cheers,
Shaun

Hi Barney and Milano, just wondering if you have any updates yet?
I also have one of these, and although it seems to be working fine, I have held off on connecting it to the network, so it cant perform any firmware updates.
It would be interesting to hear if Pioneer have confirmed there is an issue with the latest firmware, and if/when they propose to fix this.
My first thoughts are there seems to be a bit more bass with this model, coming from an LX58, although, I haven't had time yet to go through the MCACC and other set up features.
Maybe we should start an owners thread ?
Cheers,
Shaun

You're welcome to start an owners thread @Shaun1 but, I'm afraid I'm no longer an owner.

I haven't heard from Pioneer in response to my email sent to them on 16th December. Since then I returned the unit to the point of purchase for a refund and don't wish to purchase anything Pioneer to replace it.

The only advice I can give is to download the update onto USB and install it that way - Productmanual | Pioneer

I tried updating via Ethernet, that stalled at 30% and the unit bricked.

Good luck!

After my initial email to AE concerning the problems l had with my LX704, Pioneer did ask AE if l had updated the LX704 with the latest firmware...and if l had done.... then that would be the problem with it l replied no l had'nt ,my receiver has been damaged in transit was the conclusion by AE, l emailed them on Monday told them l was fed up with the whole scenario and basically said l wanted my money back...but they also had the option of keeping my trade in or not and that was it.
l got a reply not long afterwards and was told they where expecting a delivery from Pioneer this week...cut a long story short l got a phone call from AE late this morning saying my replacement had just arrived and l could pick it if l wanted tomorrow morning...but l am an hours drive away from them so 2 hours in total....so no...especially with this bad weather..and l am bit disappointed that they could'nt send it out for a Saturday delivery when l had already paid extra for a Saturday delivery with the current faulty receiver so it will arrive next week some time...l just get the feeling the AE are only interested in customers that are spending mega bucks on end HIFI kit and not someone who's buying a Comparably cheap AV receiver

@Shaun1 START UP a owners thread....l am sure i'll have plenty to moan about...lol

Well my replacement arrived this afternoon and again the internal styrofoam or whatever its real name is has been shattered even though the cardboard carton has FRAGILE STICKERS Emblazoned all over it...so l will set it up tomorrow first thing l have actually taken a days holiday to do so,l also bought another set of KEF T301's to replace the Focal Domes l have had for years as back surrounds....this will let me use up the remaining 15 metres of Clearway speaker cable l had left over after installing the new B&W side surrounds,l also have a REL HT1508 arriving next week to replace the REL HT1205,also upgraded the sub interconnect from a C-Line to a Shawline just for the ht1508 arriving,the ht1205 has never worked as it should since l got it 6 months ago.....it would never switch on to standby mode when powered up....basically it had a mind all of its own..

Hopefully this LX704 replacement will work properly...getting withdrawal symptoms as l have not been able watch a 4k disc in 4 weeks....lol and not had the opportunity to test out my new speaker cable and new surrounds,or the LX 704 a lot of my hard earned money has been invested in this system this year alone as l have basically started from scratch 12 months ago and aint been able to enjoy my recent upgrades but onwards and upwards...Sooooooooo
l have Started a owners thread tonight ...lol

Well my replacement arrived this afternoon and again the internal styrofoam or whatever its real name is has been shattered even though the cardboard carton has FRAGILE STICKERS Emblazoned all over it...so l will set it up tomorrow first thing l have actually taken a days holiday to do so,l also bought another set of KEF T301's to replace the Focal Domes l have had for years as back surrounds....this will let me use up the remaining 15 metres of Clearway speaker cable l had left over after installing the new B&W side surrounds,l also have a REL HT1508 arriving next week to replace the REL HT1205,also upgraded the sub interconnect from a C-Line to a Shawline just for the ht1508 arriving,the ht1205 has never worked as it should since l got it 6 months ago.....it would never switch on to standby mode when powered up....basically it had a mind all of its own..

Hopefully this LX704 replacement will work properly...getting withdrawal symptoms as l have not been able watch a 4k disc in 4 weeks....lol and not had the opportunity to test out my new speaker cable and new surrounds,or the LX 704 a lot of my hard earned money has been invested in this system this year alone as l have basically started from scratch 12 months ago and aint been able to enjoy my recent upgrades but onwards and upwards...Sooooooooo
l have Started a owners thread tonight ...lol

So you got a black SC-LX704 this time right? Did your replacement come with a black cling-wrap material wrapped around the Pioneer box? Mine did, put there by AE not part of the Pioneer packaging.

I haven't even taken the cling-wrap material off the box yet, there's no point in me taking it out because I can't set it up yet but based on what your experience has been I may well open the box to check what it's like inside.

I'm baffled as to how the styrofoam inside the box has got all bashed in with both of the 704s you've been sent. I can understand the box itself getting a few minor scuffs etc on the outside (unless it's got the cling-wrap material around it) but not the interior packaging. Was the box pretty bashed up on the outside too?

Good call on starting an owners thread. :thumbsup:

Hi everyone. Any idea if the sc-lx904 will be available in singapore? My sc-lx90 died and have been wanting to get this new avr to replace but can't seem to find one.

Hi everyone. Any idea if the sc-lx904 will be available in singapore? My sc-lx90 died and have been wanting to get this new avr to replace but can't seem to find one.

I would take a guess that the reason you cant get one is due the current COV-19 situation as the LX904 is assembled in China.....AND is classed a non essential item....everything including cars through to domestic appliances are in short demand.l was checking with Uk suppliers and they are guessing around mid June for the LX904 to arrive in the UK

Anyone manage to get hold of a 904 in the UK recently???

Hmm, I think the 905 will be out before we get to see this one :cool:

Hmm, I think the 905 will be out before we get to see this one :cool:
Pioneer ain't known for changing their SC LX range yearly more like every 3 years

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom