Pioneer KRP-A Owners Thread - Part 7

The undermount speakers for 8th and 9th gen have held their value far better than the TV's did as you have discovered. My theory is most didn't buy them at the time as they used their top range TV's with high end sound systems but when it came to upgrades and sticking their Kuro's in their bedrooms, everyone suddenly needed speakers for them.

I think you can use any speakers (within reason) though. I had been using Kef Eggs with my 5080 and now with my KRP as I don't want to turn on all my amps just to watch the news when I get home. Not sure about the A model but the M also has a sub out so you could perhaps get a little sub too.

As far as a full soundbar goes, I think you might be able to still use the Pioneer remote. I have a 4280 with a Yamaha Soundbar and although I use a Harmony remote, I have a feeling the Pionner remote will control the soundbar volume when it's switched on. I'll try and check later.
Thanks for the info.

It would be great if you could check out the Yamaha sooundbar as that is the make i am thinking of getting, there is a YPS-1600 for sale in the classifieds that is not far from me so i could go and collect it.

I have just given my 4280 to my mother, i have just set it up for here this afternoon. I must say it is still an excellent tv, the picture quality is superb. She is chuffed to bits with it coming from a Panasonic plasma. The 4280 is still better than any LCD/LED i have seen in the shops at any price.

@bighfishing

No problem. I plan to watch TV on the 4280 later this evening so will have a play around and get back to you. I can't realistically go for a bigger set in that room and certainly not a 55" so that's OLEDS out of the running as things stand. With that in mind I've seen nothing to convince me an upgrade is even possible all these years later!

@bighfishing Just tried it and the Pioneer remote is indeed controlling the Yamaha soundbar volume. I've only had the soundbar a few months and didn't purposely set it up that way as far as I remember so either it somehow works that way out of the box or I've messed with a setting for other reasons and this was a handy side effect. Either way it works!

Many thanks Timmy.

Can you turn the sound bar on and off with the pioneer remote.

What model number sound bar you got.

Will have a nother look tonight, not sure what drive modes are, will have to look, my remote is not working, so using a Logitech harmony remote, so trying to get to the menus using that.

I may be stating the obvious but have you checked to make sure your remote is on the right setting? There's a button that says select, should be somewhere near the bottom if the same remote as mine. Press it and a red light comes on next to it, keep pressing until the red light below 'monitor' is lit.

Many thanks Timmy.

Can you turn the sound bar on and off with the pioneer remote.

What model number sound bar you got.

I just tried and it left the soundbar on but it's possible there's something in the settings to change that I guess. It's a YSP-2500 I think. Not a current model I don't think as a mate gave it to me.

UPDATE EDIT: If you look at page 37 of the Yamaha manual it suggests it should be possible....

Last edited:
Checked out the YSP-2500 and the YSP-1600 manuals and they both say the same as what it says on page 37 of the YSP-2500 manual. So that's good news, certainly looks like i will be able to turn it on and off and change the volume.

Have to make my mind up now whether to make an offer on the YSP-1600 or hold out for the PDP-S63 under mount speaker. The YSP-1600 will be better sound and have a lot more functionality, but the PDP-S63 won't take up a HDMI socket or a wall socket.

Thanks for all your help.

The PDP-S63 is very good for what it is. I have one on my other 5080 and happily use it 90% of the time, only turning on the big amps for occasional gaming or movies. It's better than the built in speaker on the 4280. Not sure if that will be of any help with your decision though.

10bits if am not wrong

thanks that what i was leaning towards also :)
11 years old plus Pioneer 500M Monitor and still going strong .
and Pioneer was just coming out with the super slim version model and they pulled out of the Plasma market .

I think it's the remote, I am now on my second remote, there is a place that does repairs near me for £13 , so will get it checked out.

I have had my KRP-500A for a week now and am very happy with it.

I am using Pure mode and the picture is excellent, people say you will never go back once you have tried it and i think they are correct.

However there is one thing that disappoints me about this tv, even though it is not currently effecting me. On every other picture mode except Pure the motion is not very good, it is not plasma like at all, it is more like an lcd.

When watching football when the players move around in the box i often see judder when they start running. When watching strictly CRH was just moving his hands up and down and they were juddering as well. Patrick Keilty was running about playing Crackerjack on the One Show and it was happening to him as well. These are all good quality BBC HD broadcasts.

This doesn't effect me as i am using Pure mode and that doesn't have any motion issues, but it annoys me that if i did want to use one of the other picture modes i wouldn't be happy with them picture because of the judder.

Does this happen to anyone else, is it possible i have missed something in the settings.

thanks that what i was leaning towards also :)
11 years old plus Pioneer 500M Monitor and still going strong .
and Pioneer was just coming out with the super slim version model and they pulled out of the Plasma market .

No problem mate, truely great sets if you take away the red tint. I can only remember them Sony HD CRT'sets live as long and as proudly as the 9G's. Remarkable craftsmanship. Yeah the 10G they teased us with was a sight to behold, I like to know in which vault it resides in at now cuz I dont care if it was a proto type, I would love to have it :thumbsup:

I have had my KRP-500A for a week now and am very happy with it.

I am using Pure mode and the picture is excellent, people say you will never go back once you have tried it and i think they are correct.

However there is one thing that disappoints me about this tv, even though it is not currently effecting me. On every other picture mode except Pure the motion is not very good, it is not plasma like at all, it is more like an lcd.

When watching football when the players move around in the box i often see judder when they start running. When watching strictly CRH was just moving his hands up and down and they were juddering as well. Patrick Keilty was running about playing Crackerjack on the One Show and it was happening to him as well. These are all good quality BBC HD broadcasts.

This doesn't effect me as i am using Pure mode and that doesn't have any motion issues, but it annoys me that if i did want to use one of the other picture modes i wouldn't be happy with them picture because of the judder.

Does this happen to anyone else, is it possible i have missed something in the settings.

When I Watch footy I have mine at DM2 it helps alot.

No problem mate, truely great sets if you take away the red tint. I can only remember them Sony HD CRT'sets live as long and as proudly as the 9G's. Remarkable craftsmanship. Yeah the 10G they teased us with was a sight to behold, I like to know in which vault it resides in at now cuz I dont care if it was a proto type, I would love to have it :thumbsup:

There was a photo / video of how slim it was and think it was as such to replace the 500M models at first ?

but i dont remember seeing it working was it just a prototype ?

will have to google it .

There was a photo / video of how slim it was and think it was as such to replace the 500M models at first ?

but i dont remember seeing it working was it just a prototype ?

will have to google it .

Pio showed it running, very very slim and it could utterly shut off.......I wish they released it then quit the plasma market. Its probably locked away at Pio HQ.

[/QUOTE]

Yes had it in DM2, read on here the other day that DM2 is best because it is 100 Hz.

After a lot of testing i have worked out what is causing the judder and the difference is like night and day.

It was the Film Mode setting in PureCinema in the Pro Adjust menu.

As soon as i turned Film Mode off in each picture mode, the picture was super smooth no judder at all in any mode, what a difference it has made, it seems like a Plasma now and not an LCD as the motion is super smooth like it should be.

I cant believe one simple setting can make such a difference, i was beginning to think i had a faulty set.

Yes had it in DM2, read on here the other day that DM2 is best because it is 100 Hz.

After a lot of testing i have worked out what is causing the judder and the difference is like night and day.

As soon as i turned Film Mode off in each picture mode, the picture was super smooth no judder at all in any mode, what a difference it has made, it seems like a Plasma now and not an LCD as the motion is super smooth like it should be.

I cant believe one simple setting can make such a difference, i was beginning to think i had a faulty set.
[/QUOTE]

Yes you should only have pure cinema set to advanced when watching blu Ray movies. Keep it off for normal TV.

Yes you should only have pure cinema set to advanced when watching blu Ray movies. Keep it off for normal TV.
[/QUOTE]

On Broadcast TV, like watching football the TV will produce 100 Hz whether Pure Cinema is off or Advanced (tested) so it doesn't need to be off for that type of viewing

The point of having it on Advanced is that it is off all the time but when it detects a 24p signal (Blu-Ray) it will automatically switch to 72 Hz :thumbsup:

[/QUOTE]

Good stuff :thumbsup:

[/QUOTE]
On Broadcast TV, like watching football the TV will produce 100 Hz whether Pure Cinema is off or Advanced (tested) so it doesn't need to be off for that type of viewing.
[/QUOTE]

I makes big difference on my set, Film Mode must be set to off, if its on Standard, Smooth or Advanced the motion is not very smooth and keeps juddering every now and then.

I had mine on Advanced and DM2 all the time and I never had any motion issues at all.

I had mine on Advanced and DM2 all the time and I never had any motion issues at all.
Must just be my set then, it's funny that Smooth is the worst of all.

Not a problem anymore anyway, i just need to make sure it is set to off.

I purchased a 2nd hand KRP 600a around summer 2018 for £250 and its been the best TV i've ever had. As for the red tint on my set i still have it but its not off putting like others have stated. I have the side mounted speakers on my TV making my set an overwhelming presence in my living room. I use my harmony elite remote to control everything and i have the service code (im sure) for the service menu if youre wanting to enter service settings. I use standard setting as i find it more realistic than using pure or movie....seems too yellow a picture for my liking.

IMO, I wouldn't touch OLED with a barge pole just now in regards to screen burn issues as my mums C7 model has the mute button screen burn in 3 locations which is apparently used to avoid screen burn :/ i'm sure the latest models are alot better but for 2K TV that has screen burn issues from just after a year, it is very poor. Picture is outstanding though!

Anyways, if my 600 packs in anytime soon, i will definitely purchase another :)

This is a good thread that is still popular and with good help too, thanks to generalgizmo ;) and others who've helped me :)

I purchased a 2nd hand KRP 600a around summer 2018 for £250 and its been the best TV i've ever had. As for the red tint on my set i still have it but its not off putting like others have stated. I have the side mounted speakers on my TV making my set an overwhelming presence in my living room. I use my harmony elite remote to control everything and i have the service code (im sure) for the service menu if youre wanting to enter service settings. I use standard setting as i find it more realistic than using pure or movie....seems too yellow a picture for my liking.

IMO, I wouldn't touch OLED with a barge pole just now in regards to screen burn issues as my mums C7 model has the mute button screen burn in 3 locations which is apparently used to avoid screen burn :/ i'm sure the latest models are alot better but for 2K TV that has screen burn issues from just after a year, it is very poor. Picture is outstanding though!

Anyways, if my 600 packs in anytime soon, i will definitely purchase another :)

This is a good thread that is still popular and with good help too, thanks to generalgizmo ;) and others who've helped me :)
You should order a remote and fix the red tint, it literally takes 60 Seconds and your picture quality will be greatly improved. Absolutely no reason not to take care of it and your TV is just going to get worse if you ignore it.

You should order a remote and fix the red tint, it literally takes 60 Seconds and your picture quality will be greatly improved. Absolutely no reason not to take care of it and your TV is just going to get worse if you ignore it.

You say that like i haven't tried lol believe me, i have. Our good man gizmo at the time tried his best to resolve the issue, even through texts but with no success! I have to many counter balance issues with black rain, sparkles and red tint. I tried so many different alterations that in the end i eventually went back to my original settings and gave up.

I also have the TV guide issue, which seems to be a problem that has never existed on this model or experienced that i've seen on this forum. Basically when i press the EPG, as you know it can be a little slow at times loading in but when i exit out of EPG, i get no tv picture signal. The only way to resolve this is to switch it off and back on again. Even when i change AV channel and back it still stays the same, a very strange one but i don't watch normal TV because that would mean i would have to pay a TV licence ;)

anyways, the red tint is not too bad to merit another new TV in it's place....may the pioneer continue :)

You say that like i haven't tried lol believe me, i have. Our good man gizmo at the time tried his best to resolve the issue, even through texts but with no success! I have to many counter balance issues with black rain, sparkles and red tint. I tried so many different alterations that in the end i eventually went back to my original settings and gave up.

I also have the TV guide issue, which seems to be a problem that has never existed on this model or experienced that i've seen on this forum. Basically when i press the EPG, as you know it can be a little slow at times loading in but when i exit out of EPG, i get no tv picture signal. The only way to resolve this is to switch it off and back on again. Even when i change AV channel and back it still stays the same, a very strange one but i don't watch normal TV because that would mean i would have to pay a TV licence ;)

anyways, the red tint is not too bad to merit another new TV in it's place....may the pioneer continue :)

60inch kuro's are a pain to deal with it, very Little head room and tolerence compared to the 50inch versions. But its still possible to dial it a bit without getting hit too much.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom