Pioneer KRP-M Owners Thread - Part 2

Sorry this did not work. Hope you get it working.

Does anybody know if it's possible to connect the S04 side mounted speakers direct to an AV amp, rather than to the terminals on the panel itself? The manual implies not, but i'd like to use them as the L&R fronts on my 3/2.1 setup. I'd try it but don't want to risk damaging the speakers.

Thanks

Anyone know if the 500M is compatible with the Nvidia 3D Vision system ??

Jason

shame, wishfull thinking.

Just tried these settings. It doesn't seem to work on my set-up. I will try and work out another way to do it. Thanks for your help.

Surely your Lumagen is putting the grey bars in? You shouldn't be using aspect control on the TV as you are rescaling again, you should be in 1:1 mode and use aspect control on the Lumagen. The Lumagen has a sidebar setting in I think the output menu.

First off: loving my krp-500M

Looking for detailed advice regarding pc/krp-500m settings:

For now it's connected to my htpc with ati hd4350 running 1920 x 1080 60hz
krp-500m: Pure, drive mode 2, dot by dot. Pretty much default.

It's actually running quite nice but sometimes a little jerky. So I was wondering if this could be any better.

So I read that: 1080p/24p with Film mode: Advance is 72hz ?
hence I would like to set the pc-output to 72hz. Tried this using powerstrip but the tv refused to show any signal.

But then again powerstrip also contains a lot of other settings I really don't understand.

Anyone here able to guide me in this regard ?

Thanx in advance

NR

Just an example screen I found
ps.gif

hi,

I've heard that there is an update coming to hdmi 1.4 and a 3D software/hardware update from pioneer?

So I read that: 1080p/24p with Film mode: Advance is 72hz ?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe 72hz is an input frequency it'll accept. If you give it 24p (23.976hz) then it will be able to use that mode (ie fed 24, outputs at 72).

Getting 23.976 with a PC can be tricky though. If you have XP, it can't be done at all (you'll get 24.000), but Vista and 7 can both manage it with the ATI drivers. You shouldn't have to use Powerstrip.

Yep 72Hz is not an input frequency, but is the refresh rate the TV will use for 24p

I've got a quick queston about Signal Types on the KRP screens which I hope someone can help me with.

I have my SKY HD box connected to HDMI input 5 and my Amp connected to HDMI input 6 on the screen. I then have my Laptop, PS3 and DVD Recorder connected to my amp, all using HDMI cables.

When using the laptop I need to manually set the Signal Type to "PC" for the image to be displayed correctly using the following steps:
  • Press “Menu” and then select “Input Setup” and press “Enter”
  • Select “Signal Type” under the “Input 6 (HDMI 2)” section and press “Enter”
  • Select “Video” or “PC” as required and press “Enter”

I've checked the user manual but there doesn't appear to be a dedicated button on the remote to change the Signal Type. Is there an easier way to swap Signal Types (other than buying a universal remote and setting up a macro) or am I stuck with the above process each time I want to use my laptop on the screen?

Thanks
James

Can anyone help me?
My KRP-500M has started whining very loudly and smelling of burning chemicals?
Maybe a dead battery somewhere, or a blown peice of circuitry?
any ideas?
Looking like I may have to try to get it fixed.
Hope the warranty is good.
Tris

Can anyone help me?
My KRP-500M has started whining very loudly and smelling of burning chemicals?
Maybe a dead battery somewhere, or a blown peice of circuitry?
any ideas?
Looking like I may have to try to get it fixed.
Hope the warranty is good.
Tris

Dout it's a dead battery !

more than likely fan or circuit boards/ power supply !!
watch out it may give up the ghost :(

it is getting enough air circulation of sorts !

warranty time ?

HI
It is mounted on a Premier Mounts trolley as I didn't trust my plasterboard walls (rented flat), so it is on 2 poles about a foot away from the wall so yes LOTS of ventilation.
I think the kettle lead may have been pulled slightly loose so suspect some damage may have been done to power supply.
It did come with a 5 year Pioneer warranty and I really hope this is covered by it as 2K for a year's use is WAY out of my budget. How am I ever going to transport this thing???
Gulp.
Tris

HI
It is mounted on a Premier Mounts trolley as I didn't trust my plasterboard walls (rented flat), so it is on 2 poles about a foot away from the wall so yes LOTS of ventilation.
I think the kettle lead may have been pulled slightly loose so suspect some damage may have been done to power supply.
It did come with a 5 year Pioneer warranty and I really hope this is covered by it as 2K for a year's use is WAY out of my budget. How am I ever going to transport this thing???
Gulp.
Tris

Have you checked the inside of the power lead / connection on plasma for any signs of burning etc ?

and I take it you still have not got the box !!??

I still have the box, but it wasn't very substantial anyway.

No signs of burning, but just realised smell is coming from lower vents on the RIGHT hand side of the panel (looking at the front, stage right so to speak)

Something is cooking.
I think I need to see if there is tech support at Pioneer.

ok, thanks all, and so it begins. The dream becomes a nightmare. And my broadcast monitoring goes back to Standard Def only...

ho hum

Hi all.

Long time viewer, first time poster.

I am looking to purchase a Pioneer KRP, specifically either a 500M or a 600M.
Unfortunately being from Australia, these TVs are as rare as Hens teeth. As a result they cost a fortune, if you can find any. For your information, the cost of a 500M is 6000 USD and the 600M is 8500 USD. From online reading, the general consensus is that the 500M incorporates some ‘9.5G’ technology that results in better blacks (0.0005 versus 0.001) and reduced PWM (dithering?) noise compared to the 600M.

I would like to have the extra 10” that the 600M provides, but I do not want to sacrifice picture quality. As I have not seen either of these two models on display, I would like to ask the members of the forum to assist me with my decision. My seating position will be approximately 2.5 to 3.0 metres from the TV

Specifically;

1) Is the black level of the 600M considerably different to the 500M? (will it be noticeable in a dimly lit/dark room?)
2) Does the 500M have better black level detail compared to the 600M?
3) How much better is the dithering noise reduction of the 500M compared to the 600M? Does it have a sharper picture? Will I be able to see the difference from my seating position?

Many thanks in advance

Hi,

I am new proud owner of KRP-500M and need your advice!

Here is my connection detail:
My AV receiver (Onkyo 875) receives input (all HDMI) from SKY-HD and PS3 and pass output (HDMI) to Kuro 500M.

1. In the AV receiver settings, I am passing Monitor output as 1080p (i.e. it upscales) to 500M, is this correct? The only downside I can see is that my 500M will not remember settings for different picture formats i.e. for SD, 1080i or 1080P. The benifit is that I just need settings for 1080p format as thats what 500M will receive.

2. Is it possible for me to caliberate 500M by myself? shall I just use Pure mode with recommended D-Nice or bumptious settings? OR is it worth to have isf-day and isf-night settings and can I do it myself?

HI
ISF calibration is specific to the display AND environment, and even the user. Perceived black levels are very different in different viewing conditions. It is always well worth having someone do it for you. The equipment required to really do it properly is very expensive and the software is shall we say temperamental at best. I have been on an ISF course but I am still going to pay someone with more experience to do it properly!

Thanks littletee, I totally agree what you say. Please can you recommend any?

Also, can you comment on my question 1 please?

I only really know Piers:

Piers Clerk <[email protected]>

but he comes highly recommended and will advise on best settings for your equipment.

I would say to set the Output of the Onkyo to SOURCE then you can set it individually for each input.

(this works in th Onkyo 876 for me anyway)

Upscale the Sky stuff but leave the PS3 as THROUGH as Blu Rays and Games shouldn't really be upscaled.
I personally find the upscaling on the PS3 or my Toshiba PVR to be better than either the Onkyo or the Pioneer, seems to maintain sharpness better.

I only really know Piers:

Piers Clerk <[email protected]>

but he comes highly recommended and will advise on best settings for your equipment.

I would say to set the Output of the Onkyo to SOURCE then you can set it individually for each input.

(this works in th Onkyo 876 for me anyway)

Upscale the Sky stuff but leave the PS3 as THROUGH as Blu Rays and Games shouldn't really be upscaled.
I personally find the upscaling on the PS3 or my Toshiba PVR to be better than either the Onkyo or the Pioneer, seems to maintain sharpness better.

Thank you once again for your quick reply. I would try to contact Piers to see if he serves my area. I will try the settings you mentioned and see if It will help me, would let you know :)

Cool. I don't have PS3 anymore but think you have to set its output to 1080p24.
And turn off its Dynamic Range compression in audio

Then set the HDMi input of the Kuro to auto so it can display things properly
I think the upscaling (and the menu!) of my 876 outputs at 30bit not 24 (10bit color not 8 bit) which can confuse things.

Because you have SOURCE, you can individually color correct the inputs once the panel is calibrated...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom