Question Pioneer Kuro to LG OLED

flying low

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm having full on dilemmas and can't seem to make a decision. I'd value the option of you folk! I have a 50" Pioneer Kuro Plasma from 2008, it still works a dream, no issues or complaints. However I can't help but feel like its time for something new. I'm upgrading the sound system to the Sonos Arc with the sub and two sonos ones for rears as the sound I have now is just not good enough, so was thinking to buy a new LG CX 55" and do the whole lot in one go. But a couple of people are saying that Plasma, and especially the Pioneer Kuro while not 4K is still on a par with the better OLEDs. If thats the case... should I save the money and just keep the current TV?

I see QD-OLED will be making an appearance in the not to distant future, think I should just wait for that?

Help me make up my mind!!

Thanks.

I went from pioneer kuro to LG oled..I'm happy with the change (still have pioneer in the other room) 50" was too small...

Pioneer is still a great TV, I felt the pioneer was getting dimmer. Oled has a few issues like black crush and postersarion..

If you're mainly watching standard definition or 1080p material I'd stick with your Kuro. If you're keen to utilise 4k however, it's a no brainer. The bump in image quality will be immediately apparent...

If you're mainly watching standard definition or 1080p material I'd stick with your Kuro. If you're keen to utilise 4k however, it's a no brainer. The bump in image quality will be immediately apparent...

I watch SD, 720 and 1080p and it's still worth it...bigger TV. Decent SD to 4k scaling looks very good, watching starship troopers on region 1 NTSC dvd looks very good, thanks to low compression.

I moved from a Kuro to a GZ2000 this year, skeptical at first but with right programmes 4k, HDR or Dolby Vision the choice to move now was the right one. Got for it, cut the Kuro strings and fly my friend. Check out some David Attenborough in 4k and the change will soon be apparent.

I watch SD, 720 and 1080p and it's still worth it...bigger TV. Decent SD to 4k scaling looks very good, watching starship troopers on region 1 NTSC dvd looks very good, thanks to low compression.

Well, the upgrade in screen size is always a good excuse, absolutely. That's almost an aside though. SD/1080p won't really look any better on the OLED.

Well, the upgrade in screen size is always a good excuse, absolutely. That's almost an aside though. SD/1080p won't really look any better on the OLED.

I was pretty surprised how well a good NTSC dvd looked...broadcast TV with high compression doesn't look very good.

Compared to the Kuro SD looks slightly worse, 1080p the same... but 4k is a must. I had friends at the start who said it was no different until i showed them Our Planet in DV & DA !!!! need i say more !

Compared to the Kuro SD looks slightly worse, 1080p the same... but 4k is a must. I had friends at the start who said it was no different until i showed them Our Planet in DV & DA !!!! need i say more !

Exactly. 4k at its best on OLED is in a completely different league to anything a Kuro can display.

A lot of old plasma romantics can't see that through. Probably because of those rose-tinted glasses...

Exactly. 4k at its best on OLED is in a completely different league to anything a Kuro can display.

A lot of old plasma romantics can't see that through. Probably because of those rose-tinted glasses...
I was one.... i had the Kuro for 9 years and never missed a beat... even got decent money for it when it went.... do your homework on OLED, i choose the right one for me and happy i did.

Thanks all, I'll wait to see what Black Friday brings and likely go for the LG CX.

Moved from a kuro to panasonic oled. Absolutely love it. 4k blu-ray is awesome. Netflix hdr amazon definitely the way to go. Had the kuro best part of 10yrs just wish i went 65

I went from a 508xd to a C9. The main downside for me is the motion resolution on the plasma is far superior to the OLED. This is most noticeable on football and formula one. None of the motion settings can improve this back to plasma quality IMO.

The C9 has all the smart TV stuff built in and the remote is amazing though which are big plusses to me. Plus of course the bump in screen size and resolution. The 508xd was only 768 pixels high but it still looked great though!

I've still got my Pioneer Kuro. Now and again I ponder whether to make the move to OLED. Without question some of the 4K demos are astonishingly good but I've never had a proper chance to see 1080p on one. Unscientifically speaking, I generally sense that Kuro owners migrating to Panasonic OLED are, on the whole, happier than LG owners. If I had more 4K content then I would jump to a Panasonic OLED immediately.

Well I own them so I should know you haven’t... :)
Deary me, seeing things as 8K when they aren't, seeing non-existent picture noise where there isn't any..... Make an appointment with your optician chap!

Only mistake you’ll likely make, is getting a 55” tv to replace the Pioneer, my advice - go straight to 65”. If it’s based on size, you’ll not regret it, if on cost, then I’d hold fire. Main tv now 65” wish I had room for bigger, 2x 55 oleds used as bedroom tv’s. Either this is good advice, or I have a problem 😄

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom