Pioneer MCACC or or off? Off sounds better?

pn82hhz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I hope I have posted this is in the right section of the forum...if not then I apologise.

I have recently upgraded from the Pioneer VSX 930 to the VSX 1131 AVR that is used in my lounge with a 5.1.2 Atmos setup (with ceiling place height speakers). One thing I have noticed is that out of the box on the 1131 without doing the MCACC calibration sound was meatier and louder (a lot more muscle and presence). Having complete the MCACC setup the sound volume drops. It still sounds good especially on Blu Ray or with Sky Movies HD but obviously with volume turned up more. I seem to recall the same with the VSX 930. However on Sony units I have had in the past I did not notice a significant volume/power/presence reduction after using Sony Auto Cal.

On the pioneer the difference is very noticeable when using the remote to toggle MCACC on and off. My question is do others with Pioneer AVRs experience the same? does anyone use the unit with MCACC turned off? Does turning off MCACC give you a more muscular sound at the expense of quality?

Either way I love the pioneer sound and absolutely love watching my Atmos Blu Rays - so good! but cant help but think the unit is more efficient pumping out sound with the setting at -40dB than it is at -20dB for the same loudness (with and without MCACC on respectively)

Thanks

Using the MCACC is the perceived best way but if it sounds good to you without then go for it

You are kidding yourself. It is known that something that is louder sounds better. Crafty salesman can point you to an item they want to shift by playing it slightly louder than the other items they are demonstrating.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom