Pioneer UDP-LX500 owners thread

lexicon

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Well I thought I’d kick this off as I can’t see much in the way of reviews or detailed postings from anyone anywhere.

Mine arrived today so I’m able to compare it directly with my Panasonic UB700 and my Pioneer BDP 450 bluray player.

I’ve never really rated the UB700 for sound and prefer to play all blurays on the 450 keeping the 700 for when I need 4k. The main difference is the tightness of the bass of the Pioneer; the UB700 can sound more immersive and woofly just because actually the Pioneer has more tightness and control. The image from the 450 is also sharper on bluray and the colours more natural.

So then - the Pioneer LX 500?

Wow!

The first thing that you notice is that the image has way more depth and definition than both. The contrast is just better and blacks are blacker. And the colours when played through my Panasonic 65 DX902B are just incredibly natural and vibrant.

The HDR also just seems better than from the 700. I haven’t tried it on the projector yet as its not dark enough but on the Panasonic DX it now seems the perfect match.

Sound wise this is also a notch up from both. I can immediately hear that the resolution is higher; I can hear tiny sounds and details that I haven’t heard before. Additionally the sound is presented in a lovely refined velvety way. The control over the bass is way tighter than even the 450 also making for a captivating and musical listen.

The unit is solid, heavy and really well made and the case doesn’t seem to get warm (unlike the UB700 which you can fry an egg on). The remote isn’t metal but its still a well made heavy unit.

Finally if it encounters a dodgy or dirty disc, unlike the UB700 it doesn’t break up the picture into vivid patches of poo and spit nasty transients into the speakers; it just mutes and keep working through frames until it gets past the issues and then attempts restarts.

The plasticy UB700 and my long suffering but faithful stalwart BDP 450 can now finally be put out to pasture - at last I have one player that can do the lot.

I may not be able to ever have my Kuro back but at least I have a decent Pioneer 4k player at last.

It’s only taken a few years.......

If anyone is sitting on the fence and worrying about getting something worthwhile for their money (like I always do) then don’t - this unit is a class act.

Pioneer is finally back!

Well I thought I’d kick this off as I can’t see much in the way of reviews or detailed postings from anyone anywhere.

Mine arrived today so I’m able to compare it directly with my Panasonic UB700 and my Pioneer BDP 450 bluray player.

I’ve never really rated the UB700 for sound and prefer to play all blurays on the 450 keeping the 700 for when I need 4k. The main difference is the tightness of the bass of the Pioneer; the UB700 can sound more immersive and woofly just because actually the Pioneer has more tightness and control. The image from the 450 is also sharper on bluray and the colours more natural.

Wow!

The first thing that you notice is that the image has way more depth and definition than both. The contrast is just better and blacks are blacker. And the colours when played through my Panasonic 65 DX902B are just incredibly natural and vibrant.

The HDR also just seems better than from the 700. I haven’t tried it on the projector yet as its not dark enough but on the Panasonic DX it now seems the perfect match.

Sound wise this is also a notch up from both. I can immediately hear that the resolution is higher; I can hear tiny sounds and details that I haven’t heard before. Additionally the sound is presented in a lovely refined velvety way. The control over the bass is way tighter than even the 450 also making for a captivating and musical listen.

The unit is solid, heavy and really well made and the case doesn’t seem to get warm (unlike the UB700 which you can fry an egg on). The remote isn’t metal but its still a well made heavy unit.

Finally if it encounters a dodgy or dirty disc, unlike the UB700 it doesn’t break up the picture into vivid patches of poo and spit nasty transients into the speakers; it just mutes and keep working through frames until it gets past the issues and then attempts restarts.

The plasticy UB700 and my long suffering but faithful stalwart BDP 450 can now finally be put out to pasture - at last I have one player that can do the lot.

I may not be able to ever have my Kuro back but at least I have a decent Pioneer 4k player at last.

If anyone is sitting on the fence and worrying about getting something worthwhile for their money (like I always do) then don’t - this unit is a class act.

Pioneer is finally back!

Better contrast and blacker blacks ?.... Really ?.

Sorry but unless you had some settings wrong on your TV or UB700 that’s just impossible.
I bet the Pioneer is a very nice, well made player but unless it is really manipulating the picture (not desirable) you won’t have a picture much different than a Panasonic 420.

Wow!

Pioneer is finally back!
Thank you for taking the time to post this ☺️

Sorry but unless you had some settings wrong on your TV or UB700 that’s just impossible.
I bet the Pioneer is a very nice, well made player but unless it is really manipulating the picture (not desirable) you won’t have a picture much different than a Panasonic 420.

My Panasonic was a UB700 not a Pansonic UB420 (with the HDR Optimiser) but it seems you are in the camp that believes that the picture and sound from all UHD players is the same am I correct? You use the phase “much different“ not just “different” though so I’m not really sure what you mean.

As the Pioneer is a totally different device with different components, layout, wiring, circuitry and controls and is also constructed differently with no wifi or apps etc etc, I am of the opposite opinion. For the two devices to produce exactly the same looking image.......and sound exactly the same would be be clever indeed - but rather self defeating!

The Panasonic UB420 was manufactured to a budget and few would argue that it doesn't produce a phenomenally good image and sound for what is really petty cash.

When I first bought my Epson 9300 and the UB700, the hdr implementation on standard settings was pretty well unwatcheable (too dingy and dark) but since then both manufacturers have introduced firmware upgrades that have massively improved this. Is this not “manipulating the image”? And what about the HDR optimiser introduced by Panasonic? Not “manipulating the image”?

When I originally chose the Panasonic UB700, I also had a chance to compare it with the Oppo 203. I decided that the HDR image actually looked less dynamic on the 203 than the UB700 and that it simply wasn’t worth the additional £450. I won’t pay out hard earned cash unless I’m convinced I can see a positive improvement.

But my above assessment of the LX500 was, of course, non technical and subjective.

We all see and hear things differently - beauty (and sound) are in the eyes and ears of the beholder. Some believe that all amplifiers sound the same while others think that cables and isolators make can make a difference.

If you are of the closed opinion that there is little or no difference between UHD players and don’t care about construction you should definitely stick with the Panasonic 420. You have an excellent value product which, by comparison with older tech, produces a fab picture and (via Atmos) sound.

Panasonic are only to be applauded for introducing some of the first UHD players to the market at ridiculously affordable prices.

But to me the Pioneer is a definite step up. The Pioneer HDR implementation in particular looks much nicer than anything I’ve seen before - my LCD Panasonic DX almost seems to have morphed into an OLED and the image seems much punchier even on the Epson PJ!

But if anyone is really interested in comparing the Pioneer to their existing player why not borrow one and give it a go as I have done?

You may indeed come to an entirely different conclusion.

For me this one’s a keeper!

Hopefully there will be more owners on the thread very soon to give their opinions - it’s a bit lonely at the top!

Edit.
I did have a long reply here but I can't be bothered to get into a lengthy debate, enjoy your Pioneer I am sure it is a very nice well made player.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Forget all this HDR picture discussion stuff :), how quiet is the drive?

I'm looking to treat myself to either a UB9000 or a LX-500 nearer to Christmas. Player noise (or rather lack of) is my main requirement all other things being equal.

On paper the LX-500 should win out being a very solid closed box but the drive itself could have it's own quirks which change the matter. So how is drive noise with the audio muted at both the viewing position and also with your ears right next to the drive especially at the parts of UHDs where the disc spins the fastest?

And don't say quiet as a mouse, as the mice I've had get into my house are anything but. Their main ambition in life seeming to be being as noisy as possible scratching away inside the walls...:eek:

I'm looking to treat myself to either a UB9000 or a LX-500 nearer to Christmas. Player noise (or rather lack of) is my main requirement all other things being equal.

On paper the LX-500 should win out being a very solid closed box but the drive itself could have it's own quirks which change the matter. So how is drive noise with the audio muted at both the viewing position and also with your ears right next to the drive especially at the parts of UHDs where the disc spins the fastest?

And don't say quiet as a mouse, as the mice I've had get into my house are anything but. Their main ambition in life seeming to be being as noisy as possible scratching away inside the walls...:eek:
Ask Dan @themovierooms he has had both setup and I am sure he would be able to tell you which one is the quietest.

I'm in the same position but want to decide this week
its a tough one as Pioneer have a good history with laserdisc and also had arguably the best DVD players but of course time moves on and companies get bought over
although pre-outs are of no interest to me they are missing on the Pioneer but no HDR10+ and no apps no wifi and all for a £100 premium v Panasonic
that said Panny can't do SACD
So does the Pioneer produce better PQ is what interests me

Both are near silent. I think the weight of the chassis stops a lot of the issues people were having with the cheaper decks.
But not totally silent?
My UB700 and X700 are near silent at 2m. I know spending 3/4 times as much as these cost isn't going to bring perfection but I'd at least be looking for as near perfection as I can get...;)

its a tough one as Pioneer have a good history with laserdisc and also had arguably the best DVD players but of course time moves on and companies get bought over
although pre-outs are of no interest to me they are missing on the Pioneer but no HDR10+ and no apps no wifi and all for a £100 premium v Panasonic
That's the 100 dollar question.
The Panasonic has much more capable picture adjustment options as far as I can see which may be enough to surpass the Pioneer. Optimiser, DRA, the tone curves and system gamma setting etc vs the somewhat standard brightness, contrast, DNR and Chroma Adjust of the LX-500 (Page 38 of the manual).

With HDR I find I need to do much more tweaking for individual discs than I ever did for blu-ray and I prefer to be able to do this on the player than change anything on a calibrated display. In that regard Panasonic seems to have an edge. For example Christopher Nolan's seeming preference for elevated blacks just needs a quick tweak to the black tone curve to sort out.

Unfortunately what we need is some kind soul to provide both on the condition that the one that doesn't suit can go back...;)

Last edited:
But fortunately for you dear boy, totally no need as Russ and I have already considered this matter in some depth and reached an irrefutable conclusion.

These two players are going to be totally utterly and completely the same whilst at the same time......

........being very very different :)

Seriously though....I suspect that if anyone is prepared to fulfill your desire to try them both at home before you committ it will probably be those lovely helpful chaps from Edinburgh...

It’s a tough call between the two. The Pioneer looks a better made player but the lack of apps and unproven HDR to SDR tone mapping for me would push me towards the Panasonic. For projectors the HDR 2020 to SDR 2020 conversion in the Panasonic is excellent.
I’ve had a couple of high end Pioneer DVD players in my time which were excellent but I was never so keen on their Blu Ray players.

It’s a tough call between the two. The Pioneer looks a better made player but the lack of apps and unproven HDR to SDR tone mapping for me would push me towards the Panasonic. For projectors the HDR 2020 to SDR 2020 conversion in the Panasonic is excellent.
I’ve had a couple of high end Pioneer DVD players in my time which were excellent but I was never so keen on their Blu Ray players.
I am also interested in how slick the operation of the Pioneer is compared to the 820 from what I can see the 9000 offers no improvement in operation v 820
the Pioneer also seems to show more data info from the disc
MaxFALL (Maximum Frame Average Light Level) and MaxCLL (Maximum Content Light Level)

Last edited:
I tested the tone mapping while I had a TV set-up, it was one of the first things I did and can confirm it works very well in a back to back comparison with the Panasonic.

How does the Pioneer LX500 stack up against the Sony X800, build quality aside? Would you say there's a noticeable improvement in picture and sound? I'm very tempted by the LX500 and it'll sit nicely with my SC-LX58, but need to to be able to justify the replacement/cost.

It'll be run with the Sony XE9005, Pioneer SC-LX58, Monitor Audio A40 Apex and SVS SB1000

I've only seen the X1000 which is very similar to the 800. The HDR optimiser is the big selling point in these new units, the fact the Sony doesn't have one would make me instinctively choose the Panasonic or the Pioneer.

I've got demo units of both. Right now if someone were to borrow them it's two boxes less I have to move. Fill yer boots! :)

If I wasn't skint Dan I would of taken your offer of the demo at home, both those players interest me but sadly I can't even run to an 820 after the 7900 purchrase :(, Maybe next year :)

I didn't realise that the Pioneer also had an optimiser :thumbsup:
very tempted by the Pioneer LX500 but on balance I have decided on the Panny 9000
just ordered one from Dan at themovierooms
Andy please let me know how you get on, nice buy :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom