Pioneer UDP-LX800 Owners Thread

The Limey

Reaction score
Picked up this player a few days ago and am currently giving it a workout. Identical in build and looks to the earlier BDP-LX88 which I already own, and I have had to unplug that because the remote operates both players.
Running the player in 'Transport' mode - sound and vision are both excellent. Dolby Vision looks amazing (if a little overpowering on some discs) Firmware is fully up to date.
So far, so good and is already my favourite disc spinner to date.
Here are some caps to give an indication:

The Fifth Element
3E9dhM.jpg

Yzu84e.jpg

le17n7.jpg

Blade Runner 2049
4SL0f4.jpg

6HOap7.jpg

Lovely bit of kit. I have the LX500. Still waiting for HDR10+ though. Annoying.

Lovely bit of kit. I have the LX500. Still waiting for HDR10+ though. Annoying.
Thank you - yes this player is really something else.
I believe the HD10+ firmware is due this Autumn?

Thank you - yes this player is really something else.
I believe the HD10+ firmware is due this Autumn?
No they just said the Autumn, they didn't say which year.:)

I e-mailed Pioneer earlier this year and was assured it was going to be by May, then they announced a delay to the Autumn. No big deal I've only got one disc with HDR10+ anyway. The 500's performance though is very good on any resolution you care to throw at it. The 800 must be something else.

Do you have SACDs as music really is a strong point of the 500.

I e-mailed Pioneer earlier this year and was assured it was going to be by May, then they announced a delay to the Autumn. No big deal I've only got one disc with HDR10+ anyway. The 500's performance though is very good on any resolution you care to throw at it. The 800 must be something else.

Unfortunately no - what is left of my CD collection comprises normal CDs only.
HDR10+ does not seem to be that common among UHDs at present although Warner and Universal are increasing their support on upcoming releases.

Just ordered one it’s coming Wednesday cant wait! I demoed the Pioneer 500 today in RS with my TV Samsung 8K 950r and the picture was amazing. The guy in RS said the 800 was on a completely different level compared to the Panasonic 9000 and the Pioneer 500, he said it was an amazing CD player too.

What about Blu-ray audios? How do they sound?

What about Blu-ray audios? How do they sound?
Very good, although that is as much dependant on the receiver/amp/speaker combination. Same goes for DVD/BR video concerts. Certainly better than my Denon DBT 3313. Still prefer SACD stereo from my standalone SACD players.

Hi all and a happy new year, I installed the new firmware v1.16 on my lx800 and now it will not play bdmv in avchd folder, and when playing disc or mkv movie when I press stop it freezes the only button that works is the power off but it just hangs on power off I have to pull the mains lead out I have reset and reinstalled the firmware but still the same problems, anyone else on the new firmware having issues thx

Last edited:
Hi all and a happy new year, I installed the new firmware v1.16 on my lx800 and now it will not play bdmv in avchd folder, and when playing disc or mkv movie when I press stop it freezes the only button that works is the power off but it just hangs on power off I have to pull the mains lead out I have reset and reinstalled the firmware but still the same problems, anyone else on the new firmware having issues thx

Hi,
I brought one of these in November from Martins Hifi (great service and good price), the issue that I am getting with firmware v1.16 is it will not play multi channel SACD until I go into the settings and change HDMI audio out from "bitstream" to "pcm" if I change it back to bitstream it continues playing the multi channel SACD.
Not sure if these issues can be reported to Pioneer ?
Cheers,
Gary

Hi,
I brought one of these in November from Martins Hifi (great service and good price), the issue that I am getting with firmware v1.16 is it will not play multi channel SACD until I go into the settings and change HDMI audio out from "bitstream" to "pcm" if I change it back to bitstream it continues playing the multi channel SACD.
Not sure if these issues can be reported to Pioneer ?
Cheers,
Gary
I have sent the issues were having to pioneer and they will contact me but let’s wait an see

Hi guys,
Since last week I’m a proud owner of the LX800. I hope to get some advice here. My amplifier is a brilliant but old TAG McLaren AV192 with many analogue and digital audio inputs but no HDMI. I wonder how I can use the full potential of the Pioneer with my amplifier. If I use a converter from HDMI to 5.1 spdif, how much of the audio quality will be lost?
Thanks for all support.

Hi guys,
Since last week I’m a proud owner of the LX800. I hope to get some advice here. My amplifier is a brilliant but old TAG McLaren AV192 with many analogue and digital audio inputs but no HDMI. I wonder how I can use the full potential of the Pioneer with my amplifier. If I use a converter from HDMI to 5.1 spdif, how much of the audio quality will be lost?
Thanks for all support.
You will lose the HD audio as SPDIF can only pass lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1. You are obviously connected the TV to the LX800 by HDMI so why not connect the TV back to the receiver via digital optical. Should be a neater and more reliable connection.

As good as the TAG is I would seriously consider a new receiver as the LX players are seriously good audio options and it would be a downgrade to lose the HD options. If SACD is also a consideration then the only way to get multi channel is via HDMI.

I noticed I have a DVI input on the McLaren. Could an HDMI to DVI adapter be an option?

Wow, I haven't heard the term "DVI input" in such a long time. If memory recalls DVI only did video and no audio.

I have sent the issues were having to pioneer and they will contact me but let’s wait an see
Did Pioneer ever get back to you on the AVCHD/BDMV non play issue?

What do you think of the 800 as a network media steamer in general?

Did Pioneer ever get back to you on the AVCHD/BDMV non play issue?

What do you think of the 800 as a network media steamer in general?
It has no streaming capabilities. The LX500 is the same.

It has no streaming capabilities. The LX500 is the same.
It did do streaming of own rips via DLNA. The guy above reported problems after the latest firmware which is what I’m enquiring about, not Netflix.

It did do streaming of own rips via DLNA. The guy above reported problems after the latest firmware which is what I’m enquiring about, not Netflix.
I thought you were asking about any built in streaming, Netflix as you say. Here's the changelog for the last update which was roughly the same for the LX500.

CHANGE HISTORY:
[V01.16]
Improve playback compatibility of certain 4K UHD Blu-ray discs.

[V01.13]
Improve playback compatibility of certain 4K UHD Blu-ray discs.

[V01.12]
Improve stability of playback for, BD-R/RE and SACD.
Improve stability of playback web content.
Minor bug fixes and stability improvements.

For detail about Open Source Software, please refer to the link below.

Hi guys... really considering one of these.
A couple of questions...

1) Were the issues (mentioned in the thread above) ironed out satisfactorily?
2) Can it be purchased multi-region DVD and multi-zone Bluray?
3) How does it compare picture quality wise to the Panasonic -UB9000 (I know it will beat it for sound quality)?

Cheers all!

Hi guys... really considering one of these.
A couple of questions...

1) Were the issues (mentioned in the thread above) ironed out satisfactorily?
2) Can it be purchased multi-region DVD and multi-zone Bluray?
3) How does it compare picture quality wise to the Panasonic -UB9000 (I know it will beat it for sound quality)?

Cheers all!
I don't think it can be purchased as multi region.

The Panasonic UB9000 (£849) is more than half the price of the LX800 (£2199), the real competitor to that Panny model is the LX500 (£999) and consensus on that is that very little difference between the two models PQ wise. There does seem to be more problems reported with the Panasonic, little niggles that are not apparent on the LX500.

You have to say that the PQ on the LX800 is going to be superior to that of the Panny. The biggest drawback that the 800 and the 500 suffers from is it's lack of HDR10+ abilities. A firmware update is now almost two years behind schedule and we are more likely to see a vaccine for Covid-19 that this firmware update this year.

Audio wise there is nothing to touch either the 800 nor the 500 now that Oppo has sadly exited the market.

Many thanks. That's great.
It seems everywhere is out of stock at the moment for Pioneer players (especially the LX-800).
Thanks again!

Anyone aware when the next software update is for the LX800?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom