Pioneer VSX-2011, Any reason to upgrade to newer model?

deerhunter09

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi peeps , just registered after reading a lot of very valuble info before parting cash for my new JVC DLA-HD1!

This has open a can of worms though! :

I currently have a pioneer VSX-2011, after an overhall and a new HD projector i am looking into a hd-dvd / blu-ray player, they seem to have support for more advanced audio sources such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, and DTS HD. So my question is does my 6.1 DTS/DD system support these new sources and are they that much better or am i best spending money on something else (i dont think the bose AM16's i have are as good as full size speakers but space does not allow for them anymore so maybe this will reduce the difference in higher quality soundtracks).

Edited to add that i think i am right in that i need a HD-DVD player that will decode Dolby TrueHD and ouput through analog 7.1 ports after more research - i will post the question in DVD Section also?

cheers

Dave

Just bumped this to see if anyone can confirm my findings?

Edited to add that i think i am right in that i need a HD-DVD player that will decode Dolby TrueHD and ouput through analog 7.1 ports after more research - i will post the question in DVD Section also?

Yes if your amp doesn't take PCM over hdmi (which I don't think yours does), then you need to get a player that has analog outputs (i.e. not a PS3 and only certain models of HD DVD player)

No, true HD etc will have to be avalible on the amp, which as was just stated, it isn,t on your 2011, so a new amp is going to be needed, also blue ray and HD dvd are very differant players and currently not avalible as a single player, so you will also need to decide on blue ray as a dvd player or PS3 game system, the new PS3 runs at 24 frames per secound, which is the same as the brand new pioner blue ray player, only less than half the price, OR HD DVD, as a player or XBOX360 consul.
lots to think about then

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom