Pitch Black 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
You could of picked a better main photo of Riddick it dont do the Review look Justice on a great Sci Fi Movie on 4K
in my opinion .
08E12291-C7A6-41AA-A681-9F678421F3D0.png

Last edited:
You could of picked a better main photo of Riddick it dont do the Review look Justice on a great Sci Fi Movie on 4K
in my opinion .

I almost always use cropped shots of the official 4K blu-ray artwork because.... well it's a review of the 4K blu-ray release.

By the way, you could have actually picked a photo from Pitch Black if you wanted to do the movie "justice" ;)

thanks cas,great review always loved this movie,definitely picking this up asap.

Waiting for my copy to drop!

Thanks for the review, Cas. :smashin:

Can't wait to get this, would be good if Arrow releases the sequels in 4K as well

I almost always use cropped shots of the official 4K blu-ray artwork because.... well it's a review of the 4K blu-ray release.

By the way, you could have actually picked a photo from Pitch Black if you wanted to do the movie "justice" ;)
4AB3FF13-D6D2-4D07-85FA-2152BAAF3665.jpeg
09913E89-AA4C-4D11-8D4A-037706645ECD.png
Photo was randomly picked out 😉
CDF71A13-E645-485E-B8CB-A26FED607D3A.jpeg

Thanks for the Review Cas. When this turns up on my rental site in 4K it goes straight at the top!

Thanks! Well that kicked me off the fence. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. It also might provide an alternative future for physical media.

Thanks Cas - great little film and with all those wonderful colours on show, glad to see Arrow have maintained their high standards over into the new 4K arena.

And I don't care what anyone says, I still love Chronicles of Riddick and can only dream of that in 4K.....come on peoples, buy this and show Arrow the love to make the Judi Dench starrer happen!!!!!

Thanks Cas - great little film and with all those wonderful colours on show, glad to see Arrow have maintained their high standards over into the new 4K arena.

And I don't care what anyone says, I still love Chronicles of Riddick and can only dream of that in 4K.....come on peoples, buy this and show Arrow the love to make the Judi Dench starrer happen!!!!!

Yeah Chronicles was fantastic IMO. Could never understand the hate it got.

Yeah Chronicles was fantastic IMO. Could never understand the hate it got.
Think it got hate as it was the complete opposite to what Pitch Black was, as people were probably expecting more of the same. Plus the theatrical cut, misses out a lot of the mythology of Riddick's people.

My copy arrived today from Arrow. Haven’t had time to have a look at it yet though.

Always really liked this film, Radha Mitchell is terrific as well as Vin Diesel. She’s been in lots of great genre stuff, including the superb crocodile film Rogue, as well as Silent Hill (one of the only decent videogame adaptations) and The Crazies remake. The sequels never quite did it for me but I still enjoying running through the series from time to time.

I always thought the Blu-ray looked a bit underwhelming so I’m really looking forward to watching this in 4K.

Thanks for the review Cas, I was a bit worried about Arrow's first attempt at a 4K disc... ordered it now, can't wait! :)

oh well double dip time - thanks Cas - i think - still be a good monday as spartacus is due that day as well

any idea when you will review the hitchcock collection as i love all 4 films but would like your view cas on the merits of the 4k disks before dropping another £60?

oh well double dip time - thanks Cas - i think - still be a good monday as spartacus is due that day as well

any idea when you will review the hitchcock collection as i love all 4 films but would like your view cas on the merits of the 4k disks before dropping another £60?

It'll be me or Simon, depending whether I am still sore about the Columbia box set.

Unfortunately I don't think it'll come via PR so we're unlikely to get it early, that means review day of release at best and, even then, that's only if Zoom magic it up early in time for us to take a look over the weekend. Otherwise the reviews will be a little after, like Columbia (OOP) (grrr).

I'd give the film a 9.5...for some reason it just clicked with me. Loved it.
Shame the others weren't so hot, but at least the game kept the right feel.

Thanks Cas. Sounds like a fantastic upgrade! :thumbsup:

oh go on then, ordered...!!:D:rotfl:

Ah, this release gives me tingles - or is that the prospect of Radha's 4K bottom?
In any case, a fave of mine and early-ish birthday present to be sure.
I always liked the way it was shot, mental filters/colours and due to its design, appreciated the fact that copies didn't have to be, or ever really could be, expected to look reference. This fact for me, made the film all the more enjoyable, as you couldn't exactly complain about this or that image but just enjoy it.
Vin is perfect for this, breezing through it with a real sense of off the page gravitas and the ensemble cast are certainly none too shabby. Mitchel is outstanding in depth, acting style and portrays one of the best heroine roles ever, that many an actor of the last two decades could only dream of. In fact, it's hard to believe it is 20 years old.

It'll be me or Simon, depending whether I am still sore about the Columbia box set.

Unfortunately I don't think it'll come via PR so we're unlikely to get it early, that means review day of release at best and, even then, that's only if Zoom magic it up early in time for us to take a look over the weekend. Otherwise the reviews will be a little after, like Columbia (OOP) (grrr).
If you don't get the Hitchcock collection, then there is no justice in the World anymore. :nono::nono::nono:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom