Pixels around slow-moving objects.

brat1111

Standard Member
Reaction score
A pixelated edge appears around moving objects in movies sometimes, NOT all the time.
This happens in 1080p movies but also on 4K movies with Dolby Vision enabled, for example.
It happens when I playback movies from an USB storage device AND from Sony UHD BD player
connected with Monster Black Platinum HDMI cable to LG OLED C8 55''.
I have set ''HDR video mode'' to ''Cinema Home'' and tried different TruMotion options without these things being able to solve the problem. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance. Cheers from Norway. :)

I have set ''HDR video mode'' to ''Cinema Home'' and tried different TruMotion options without these things being able to solve the problem. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance. Cheers from Norway. :)
You need to turn off the 'Trumotion' option. And enable the 'Real Cinema' instead...

All forms of TruMotion create fake 'filler' frames. Correctly encoded content (such as movie Blu-ray disc), does not need fake frames to be added.

You need to turn off the 'Trumotion' option. And enable the 'Real Cinema' instead...

All forms of TruMotion create fake 'filler' frames. Correctly encoded content (such as movie Blu-ray disc), does not need fake frames to be added.
Ok. Thanks for the reply. How do I enable Real Cinema? 🙂

While you are playing content, after turning off the TruMotion option, you should see the 'Real Cinema' option a few levels above it...

Ok. Thanks for the reply. How do I enable Real Cinema? 🙂
The Rea
While you are playing content, after turning off the TruMotion option, you should see the 'Real Cinema' option a few levels above it...
I disabled TruMotion and then Real Cinema is enabled by default and greyed out. It's better but some pixels are still visible, like a trail around peoples' heads in bright scenes. Also, do you know how close I should sit to my 55'' OLED TV in order to fully enjoy 4K content? According to rtings.com and LG support, I should sit 2,35 m away but at that distance I cannot really tell the difference between the 4K Blu-Ray and the regular Blu-Ray. I really appreciate your help. Thanks again. 👌👍🙂

The Rea

I disabled TruMotion and then Real Cinema is enabled by default and greyed out. It's better but some pixels are still visible, like a trail around peoples' heads in bright scenes. Also, do you know how close I should sit to my 55'' OLED TV in order to fully enjoy 4K content? According to rtings.com and LG support, I should sit 2,35 m away but at that distance I cannot really tell the difference between the 4K Blu-Ray and the regular Blu-Ray. I really appreciate your help. Thanks again. 👌👍🙂

What 4K content are you watching that you can't tell is 4K?

Jim

sounds like edge enhancer is on.

Thanks - so viewing it with both discs from the 4K set then..... Odd....
I did the same thing with Spider-Man: Homecoming on UHD BD while sitting much closer to the TV.
I noticed a big difference compared to the regular BD. I was sitting as far away from the TV as its width.
Is this too close? Any other ideas on sitting distance while watching 4K BD's with Dolby Vision enabled?
Turning off TruMotion and enabling Real Cinema made a huge impact, thanks for the tip, SMD.
The pixelated trail around peoples' heads is not frequent now, at all, but CAN still occur rarely.
Thanks again for helping me, guys. :)

I did the same thing with Spider-Man: Homecoming on UHD BD while sitting much closer to the TV.
I noticed a big difference compared to the regular BD. I was sitting as far away from the TV as its width.
Is this too close? Any other ideas on sitting distance while watching 4K BD's with Dolby Vision enabled?
Turning off TruMotion and enabling Real Cinema made a huge impact, thanks for the tip, SMD.
The pixelated trail around peoples' heads is not frequent now, at all, but CAN still occur rarely.

Way too close IMO - currently using a mere 49 inch LG and viewing from about 2.25M and have no difficulty in spotting 4k vs Std Blu - although my Samsung player does an admirable job of upscaling the Std Blu's.....

What about this from rtings.com?
See screenshot. 🙂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200409-052257_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200409-052257_Chrome.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 82
What about this from rtings.com?
See screenshot. 🙂

Looks ridiculous to me for 4k distances so will be interesting to hear what others say......

This distance is freaking ridiculous!

Looks ridiculous to me for 4k distances so will be interesting to hear what others say......
I don’t think it’s too close in respect of seeing all available detail. It’s impractical for most though. If I sat at the recommended distance from my 55”, my feet would probably kick the screen if I reclined my chair. I decided this is undesirable. :)
The 1080p viewing distance works for me.

@brat1111 ,
Check the sharpness settings. It should be no higher than 10.

This distance is freaking ridiculous!
This article basically says the same thing. I'm confused.
It seems way too close but more pixels hit the human eye and
the TV fills more of one's field of view. Plus, it gives you
a real cinematic feel. :)

I don’t think it’s too close in respect of seeing all available detail. It’s impractical for most though. If I sat at the recommended distance from my 55”, my feet would probably kick the screen if I reclined my chair. I decided this is undesirable. :)
The 1080p viewing distance works for me.

@brat1111 ,
Check the sharpness settings. It should be no higher than 10.
But according to the article, if you sit at a 1080p viewing distance
while watching 4K, you're not getting the full 4k experience at all. :)

This article basically says the same thing. I'm confused.
It seems way too close but more pixels hit the human eye and
the TV fills more of one's field of view. Plus, it gives you
a real cinematic feel. :)
Seat closer - yes, but if too close, you will seen unnecessary thing like what you mentioned pixels around slow-moving objects, your distance seems not even as most article suggested.

Anyway as long you feel nicer and comfortable, why not. Haha!

But according to the article, if you sit at a 1080p viewing distance
while watching 4K, you're not getting the full 4k experience at all. :)
That’s true, but sitting that close is just not practical for me.
Even if I did sit that close what happens when I watch 1080p? Do I move my chair every hour or two? I’m not prepared to do that.

Imagine how close we would need to be if 8K ever becomes a thing.:rotfl:

Seat closer - yes, but if too close, you will seen unnecessary thing like what you mentioned pixels around slow-moving objects, your distance seems not even as most article suggested.

Anyway as long you feel nicer and comfortable, why not. Haha!
Actually, when sitting closer, I cannot see the pixelated edge anymore, if TruMotion is turned off.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom