Plasma to Oled, motion, sd handling

Reaction score
For anyone thats gone from the last gen of panny plasma to a recent oled, how's the experience been? Obviously 4k and hdr has been a massive jump but how about motion, brightness and SD/HD content? How did you find the transition?

Last edited:
I’ve just gone from a 50” 7th gen Pioneer Plasma to Panny 65” OLED (2018) and so far I’m very happy.

Brightness is very good and SD is surprising good too, especially considering the screen size.

Colours on the Panny for me are the best I’ve seen.

I have noticed some motion/fragmentation occur once or twice - nothing major, but I’m keeping an eye on it.

Overall - the jump to an oled from Plasma has been well worth it - the experience of 4K is awesome- it takes you to another dimension )

Went from a 50VT65 to a 65FZ802. Thought long and hard about doing it as the VT had been calibrated and the image was stunning, but like all TVs it was not perfect with some line bleed which was a noted trait.

Out of the box I was literally blown away with the FZ. Colours were amazing and there was very little to fault. There is some stuttering on slow panning shots both vertical and horizontal, which also occurred on the VT and because of the difference is size that stuttering was more noticeable when it does happen which thankfully is rare.

As for actual motion just the VT is performs really well. Rugby has been a delight on it as has this year's Wimbledon. 4K from UHD discs is fantastic as is the upscaling from 1080 either on disc or broadcast and streaming. I'm glad I made the switch and hope this TV serves me as well as the VT did.

MY Panny GT60 Plasma suffered from micro-stutters which annoyed me quite a bit. My LG C8 was fine but for pure motion handling, I think the Panny pips the LG OLED. However for overall picture quality, it is a no contest. The OLED wins hands down.

Don't worry about Brightness. OLED can get quite brighter than Plasmas.

Same here went from pioneer 5090 to Panasonic 802 . Could not be happier , colours motion HDR hd upscaling . Built in apps everything just seems to work

Moving from a pioneer 7th gen plasma to Panny oled in the past week, I would say I’ve noticed some motion issues that I never had before on the plasma,

Annoying as that is at times, I have offset that with all the other gains that I’ve now got with oled and 4K.

It suggests to me that they either need to improve the processor or add more memory to handle the movement. I thought I had held off long enough to jump on the oled bandwagon- but it obviously still has room to improve.

An interesting read as my main TV is a Panny 50ST60. If I was to buy a new one today, I think it would be an LG C8. However, while an OLED is obviously better in most regards, I still find my plasma "good enough" and have no definite plans of upgrading until the current one breaks or something.

Moving from a pioneer 7th gen plasma to Panny oled in the past week, I would say I’ve noticed some motion issues that I never had before on the plasma,

How do these issues manifest, what are you seeing that’s different/worse?

How do these issues manifest, what are you seeing that’s different/worse?

it’s largely during fast moving scenes or moving scenes that have repetitive or highly detailed/complex backgrounds, In those situation i notice blocking (as if the resolution has been made lower in and around those areas) occurring in front and behind the person or focus item that’s moving.

Not a major issue, just disappointing especially as I start to focus on the blocks during those scenes - often busy action sequences ..

For anyone thats gone from the last gen of panny plasma to a recent oled, how's the experience been? Obviously 4k and hdr has been a massive jump but how about motion, brightness and SD/HD content? How did you find the transition?

Afternoon,

I’ve just moved from a 65’’ ZD9 FALD LED to a 65C8 OLED, but previously had Pioneer Kuro Plasma’s including a KRP600.

Each of these tech’s have their pro’s and Con’s.

From a motion perspective, the OLED does display what I would describe as ‘micro-stutter’ when panning, but after a week I’ve adjusted to it.

The Motion on the ZD9 is, in my opinion, smoother than the OLED and on a par with the Kuro Plasmas.

I would describe myself as being ‘sensitive’ to motion issues, but the Micro-stutter I see on the OLED isn’t all the time. More importantly though, after a week I don’t really see it unless I specifically look for it.... so I‘ve stopped looking for it!!!

With respect to brightness, the 65C8 is significantly brighter/better than the Kuro’s, but the ZD9 is better again In this respect. Having said that, HDR is stunning on both the C8 and the ZD9... and your plasma can‘t do HDR!

In think you’d be very happy with a move from plasma to OLED if you can adjust to it’s drawbacks. If not, consider a good FALD LED set which can be a very good compromise.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom