Question Playing x.265 mkv on Roku Smart TV from smb network

DDE12

Novice Member
Reaction score
Playing x.265 mkv on Roku Smart TV from smb network
Currently we are watching ripped x.264 mkv's ripped from DVD's on VLC app on Firestick. The files are stored on a Windows PC and this is going well. I am planning to rip/encode my Blu-rays that I don't have digital copies of with Handbrake to x.265 mkv. Will I be able to watch the x.265 mkv's on a Roku smart TV with a media player (other than Plex)? I am looking to looking to by a TCL w/ Roku but might not if this will be a problem. I understand that Plex will (should) work but it is slow to load movies and can be buggy/unpredictable, so would like to confirm that there is another option similar to what I have with VLC on the Firestick. Thank you in advance.

Playing x.265 mkv on Roku Smart TV from smb network
Currently we are watching ripped x.264 mkv's ripped from DVD's on VLC app on Firestick. The files are stored on a Windows PC and this is going well. I am planning to rip/encode my Blu-rays that I don't have digital copies of with Handbrake to x.265 mkv. Will I be able to watch the x.265 mkv's on a Roku smart TV with a media player (other than Plex)? I am looking to looking to by a TCL w/ Roku but might not if this will be a problem. I understand that Plex will (should) work but it is slow to load movies and can be buggy/unpredictable, so would like to confirm that there is another option similar to what I have with VLC on the Firestick. Thank you in advance.

H.265 is supported on the latest Roku devices, but Roku remains a DLNA only system or a client app is provided via Plex or Emby.

The only platform which can read SMB network shares direct is AndroidTV based TV's like those from Sony and Philips and Amazon FireTV's like Toshiba (not too familiar with USA models), you can install Kodi or MrMC on them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom