Playstation 4 News, Odds and Ends and System Chatter Thread

Last edited:
The gadget show peeved me off with subtle jibes of PS4 being cheeky.

Last edited:
The gadget show peeved me off with subtle jibes of PS4 being cheeky.

Yeah, thing that annoyed me was they said that the PS4 was "Just" as powerful as the XBone when in reality it is more powerful.

Yeah, thing that annoyed me was they said that the PS4 was "Just" as powerful as the XBone when in reality it is more powerful.

Oh that was awful, their two "gaming experts" were clueless. I had to stop watching The Gadget Show as it dumbs everything down so much it started making me angry.

I wish there was a TV show that reviewed things properly, instead of being obsessed with dropping USB sticks from great heights and running them over with tanks to see if they still work. The only part of the show I enjoyed is the stuff from Jon Bentley who seems to review things well.

And, how many people out there actually buy these quad bikes and jet ski's that they constantly seem to be reviewing? Definitely a show that suffers from The Top Gear effect, but unlike Top Gear its all a bit mediocre.

I used to really enjoy the light-heartedness of The Gadget Show back in the day, and Jason's comical antics.

But I suppose that I have to face facts that the show now pretty much sucks balls. :/

EDIT:

Just watched the E3 segment of Monday's show. I'm a bit miffed as to their choice in 'Gaming Internet Superstars' Channel 5 decided to send.

The only thing that KSI bloke did well was misinform the viewers with his claptrap!! What a toy!

Last edited:
Sad thing is, it seems like a 'serious' gadget TV show wouldn't get enough viewers, so they have to dumb it down to make it more popular. Much like Top Gear, as mentioned.

I'm glad they brough JB back, but I wonder how long it'll last. Although, since Polly is off following Paul Casey about the planet, we at least get a bit of her and Rachel Riley. Which is nice.

Just about to watch the feature in question. Fearing the worst.

I haven't watched it yet but I heard that they took some liberties. So they sent KSI to E3 did they? How did he do? I like him on YouTube but I guess he may be a bit young and used in order to engage with the kids I suppose.

hmmm some food for thought in this post methinks

psn accounts will transfer from ps3 to ps4 wont they i mean im nearly sure that has been confirmed, right?

and i also think that you only need one ps+ account on the machine then every account on the ps4 will work, once again going from memory

and hopefully the way downloaded games will work on ps4 will be the same as ps3, that being one account downloads it and all accounts get access to it

ofc nobody can answer this next part or say for sure itll work this way because of what little we know about gaikai but it would be really good if what my train of thought comes to be true

i was thinking about gaikai and how it will only be firstly released in america

strange but ofc america surely being the biggest region they will get sales in it only stands to reason that they would do this

so then i was wondering if the service will actually be tied to american ip addresses or not or just someon who has an american psn account, see where im going yet?:devil:

many of us will surely have us psn accounts for things like us psn store offering different games and netflix offering different content

so what i was wondering was will gaikai be using american ip addresses as confirmation or will the fact that you have an american psn account be all you(and more specifically us as british/irish/welsh and scots) will need to access gaikai at the launch of the service

so what do we think?

i'd hang my hat on I.P. unfortunately...Gaikai is essentially streaming so a relatively small amount of downloading occurs, compared to buying content off the pan (am i wrong on this?)

Because it's streaming and not downloaded to the HDD for you to keep and access on your system with your licence I can see it needing a valid I.P.

I say this hoping i'm wrong though :)

I think gaikai should be looked at from arms length. I just can't see a game functioning properly with added latency from streaming. I'm sure it will be playable but I personally am not looking forward to a delayed reaction in every game I play that way. I'm just envisioning enemy ai killing me after I've ducked behind a wall cod lag style.

I think gaikai should be looked at from arms length. I just can't see a game functioning properly with added latency from streaming.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown?
Valkyria Chronicles?
Civilisation?

:confused: all might be possibilities if your reactions are that bad. Hth.

First Edge now Stuff magazine. August`s front cover.

Attachments

• Stuff-August-2013-cover.jpg
    Stuff-August-2013-cover.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 756
Last edited:
XCOM: Enemy Unknown?
Valkyria Chronicles?
Civilisation?

:confused: all might be possibilities if your reactions are that bad. Hth.

Turn based games? No bf, cod, FIFA, NHL, borderlands, uncharted etc etc.

Has nothing to do with reactions as even the fastest trigger finger is still going to get the latency. Like I said, imagine cod where the campaign now has lag...

I think gaikai should be looked at from arms length. I just can't see a game functioning properly with added latency from streaming. I'm sure it will be playable but I personally am not looking forward to a delayed reaction in every game I play that way. I'm just envisioning enemy ai killing me after I've ducked behind a wall cod lag style.

In theory it's a lot easier to handle latency when the whole game is being played on the server and the (compressed) video being streamed back to you rather than the "cloud" scenario where the game is being played on the client (console) with some tasks offloaded to the server.

In theory it's a lot easier to handle latency when the whole game is being played on the server and the (compressed) video being streamed back to you rather than the "cloud" scenario where the game is being played on the client (console) with some tasks offloaded to the server.

I understand that, but excusing lag because everything lags isn't really much of an argument. Sure, turn based games will be perfect but everything else that requires real time player actions will still fall victim to the 25ms+ lag of the Internet, combine that with another 25ms+ return time and you start accumulating significant delay. And to the poor souls who aren't going to live next door to a gaikai server and it only makes the delay larger. Just not seeing how Sony can overcome this with the current Internet infrastructure without putting a gaikai server in every city.

I understand that, but excusing lag because everything lags isn't really much of an argument. Sure, turn based games will be perfect but everything else that requires real time player actions will still fall victim to the 25ms+ lag of the Internet, combine that with another 25ms+ return time and you start accumulating significant delay. And to the poor souls who aren't going to live next door to a gaikai server and it only makes the delay larger. Just not seeing how Sony can overcome this with the current Internet infrastructure without putting a gaikai server in every city.

Is OnLive laggy? Isn't it essentially gaikai? If OnLive is laggy then I'm sure Gaikai will be too. I've never played both and have no interest in gaming from the past?

I was excited to sign up with psn today with my Xbox GT and what a pain it was. I kept getting 'session timed out' over and over.

I then installed the android app and lo and behold I can't even sign into that! Same error.

Not very impressed so far... Already having second thoughts about switching. If sign up is that arduous and the phone app doesn't even work, I do wonder what psn is like as an overall package.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom