Playstation Now

Cha1ky

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Closed Beta end of Jan.

Roll out by the summer hopefully.

PlayStation Now Streaming Game Service Coming this Summer – PlayStation.Blog

Today, at CES 2014 in Las Vegas, we announced that PlayStation Now (PS Now), our new streaming game service, will be available in the US this summer. With PlayStation Now, you will be able to stream popular hits and classic games from the PS3 library, first on PS4 and PS3 systems, followed by PS Vita.

In addition to PlayStation platforms, most 2014 US models of Sony’s BRAVIA TV lineup will support PS Now. Eventually the service will expand beyond PlayStation platforms and Sony devices, allowing you to stream PlayStation games across a broad range of Internet-connected devices.

Leveraging Gaikai’s advanced cloud-based technology, PlayStation Now will allow you to:

• Play video games instantly across multiple devices, similar to the way you might stream TV, movies, and music.
  • Stream full games to all of your compatible PlayStation devices including PS4, PS3, and PlayStation Vita as well as non-PlayStation devices, beginning with 2014 BRAVIA TV models and expanding to numerous other Internet-connected devices.
  • Always play the most updated version of your game. With games hosted in the cloud, you can take your game with you – just log in with your Sony Entertainment Network account on a compatible device and your games and saved progress will be easily available.
We want to offer you choice when it comes to how you want to access content on PS Now, so you will be able to rent by title for specific games you are interested in. We’ll also offer a subscription that will enable you to explore a range of titles.

PS Now will begin a Beta program in the US at the end of January with an expected full roll-out in the US this summer. Be sure to check the PlayStation.Blog regularly for more updates on the PS Now service.

PlayStation Now really works! - Destructoid

PlayStation Now really works!
First hands-on from CES

PlayStation Now streaming service here at CES 2014, and I'm here to tell you that it seems to work beautifully.

It took me several minutes to wrap my head around that I was playing a perfect copy of The Last of Us on the Vita on the CES show floor. It was exactly like a Remote Play experience, complete with triggers being mapped to the rear pad. Gameplay was very responsive and completely lag free. Sony told us that a Gaikai server from down the hall was running the game.

What's neat is that multiplayer works between proper console games and cloud games. I learned that Sony was testing Journey with console players with them having no idea they were paired with cloud players.

Sony is also showing PS3 game Puppeteer being played via the cloud on a Bravia television. Again, this works flawlessly. It looked maybe a bit less impressive than the Vita experience, but still great. God of War: Ascension and, Beyond: Two Souls are also available to play on the show floor via PlayStation Now.

Sony says that PS3 is a focus right out of the gate, but PS2 and PS1 games are also slated.

We are hoping to try out tablet and smartphone play soon. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
So streaming only works with 100% Sony product?

Kind of messed up, but luckily I have a Bravia.

Interesting... so it doesn't need to be via a PS4?

So streaming only works with 100% Sony product?

Kind of messed up, but luckily I have a Bravia.
Most people only thought it was coming to PS4 so tonhear it's coming to a lot of devices is a bonus imo.

I'm not 100% sure it's just Sony products Btw. It was only just announced about 20 mins ago. He did say tablets and mobiles too so don't know.

Oh, I read your op as it takes a ps4 AND a Bravia.

Not one or the other...

I'll tally that up to being awake for less then an hour.

Interesting... so it doesn't need to be via a PS4?

Oh, I read your op as it takes a ps4 AND a Bravia.

Not one or the other...

I'll tally that up to being awake for less then an hour.

Yeah, doesn't have to be a PS4.

It looks like its going to be an app then. they have it on show on Bravia TV's with The Last of Us on it.

I heard from a friend this has been tested extensively by Sony America for quite a while now, so fingers crossed its in good working order. At least we know if they have LoU demo'ing now its fair to say its going to be there day one.

There was also a TV streaming service announced too, which sounded really good too.

Thank god i went fibre!!!!!!

I'll try see if I can sort out some closed beta stuff....................Could be stateside only though i think.

Sexy, I'll let you guys know how it is. Though with all the plus games I've yet to play I'm not sure it'll get much use from me if it's a sub service.

Sexy, I'll let you guys know how it is. Though with all the plus games I've yet to play I'm not sure it'll get much use from me if it's a sub service.
TBH its of no use to me as i doubt I'll play the back catalogue, but can see how it could be useful to some.

Do you know if it's a sub service or pay as you go?

Will be sub service. Says that in first post mate.

Although I wonder if having Plus nets you a nice discount.

"Sony has confirmed that PlayStation Now will be a subscription-based service -- though whether it will tie-in to existing subscriptions like PlayStation Plus remains to be seen -- and will support online multiplayer and Trophies."

Even better for you Det, pulled from the US PS Blog (added to first post BTW)

"We want to offer you choice when it comes to how you want to access content on PS Now, so you will be able to rent by title for specific games you are interested in. We’ll also offer a subscription that will enable you to explore a range of titles."

LoU PS Now.jpg

added hands on to first post.

Last edited:
just need to find out how much it will cost and whether or not you have to re-purchase titles you already have, will be a deal breaker if that is the case but i do like the concept

as with all things like this need to see how it actually runs etc, A server down the hall may be lag free it's a different story when your talking hundreds of miles away along crappy Broadband infrustructure the U.S gets to test it so at least by the time it arrives to us in the UK most of the kinks etc should be ironed out.

I wonder if you'll have 'free' access to stuff you already 'own' on PS3 digitally? As a ps+ incentive perhaps.

just need to find out how much it will cost and whether or not you have to re-purchase titles you already have, will be a deal breaker if that is the case but i do like the concept as with all things like this need to see how it actually runs etc, the U.S gets to test it so at least by the time it arrives to us in the UK most of the kinks etc should be ironed out.
Hopefully, but our internet providers like to throw their own spanners into the works :)

I'm sure renting a single title won't be too expensive though. Not sure i'd be interested in twitchy MP FPS thats for sure.

This is going to be incredible. I'm on fibre so it's going to run fine for me but I bet we won't see the service here for ages

I don't really see the point for me. I don't want to play old games.

But for those that maybe missed out on great games this would he great.

I wouldn't like to play games like the last of us on a vita remote play style thing though. The analogue stick clicks and top shoulder buttons make remote play unplayable for games which use them (most console titles). They're just gangly and awkward and I can't be doing with them.

But with a dualshock 4 it'd be grand.

I wonder if you'll have 'free' access to stuff you already 'own' on PS3 digitally? As a ps+ incentive perhaps.

that's the number one question being asked on the Playstation U.S blog and one that is being avioded being answered by Sony all they will say is more info to come, I have a sneaky feeling you will have to re-pay or rent them to begin with but Sony did say on the blog that everything is subject to feedback and changes made during the Beta testing phase so who knows how it will end up.

I don't really see the point for me. I don't want to play old games.

But for those that maybe missed out on great games this would he great.

I wouldn't like to play games like the last of us on a vita remote play style thing though. The analogue stick clicks and top shoulder buttons make remote play unplayable for games which use them (most console titles). They're just gangly and awkward and I can't be doing with them.

But with a dualshock 4 it'd be grand.
I can see them adding DS4 support for the Vita and then we'll also see some kind of official docking station so you can play while laying in bed or at your desk or whatever.

that's the number one question being asked on the Playstation U.S blog and one that is being avioded being answered by Sony all they will say is more info to come, I have a sneaky feeling you will have to re-pay or rent them to begin with but Sony did say on the blog that everything is subject to feedback and changes made during the Beta testing phase so who knows how it will end up.
To be honest it would be great but how would they would ever be able to do that?

They could do it on digital titles you have bought perhaps but nothing else as you could have easily have sold that license on (the game). So anything they do add, to me, will purely be a bonus, but either way you'll be paying for it somehow as it's a subscription service or rental if you wanted single titles.

Because of this reason I just can't see them giving you access to your old games for free......but we'll see.

Last edited:
I hope pricing wise, it's the same as Onlive was
Yah, you only have onlive to live so may as well spend it wisely...

Too corny? Just imagine my avatar saying it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom