Please advice on product that connects multiple PC to 4K HDR TV at 60Hz with chroma 4:4:4 and Dolby Atmos sound bar

av2av

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Sony XBR-49X900E 4K 60Hz HDR TV and a Samsung HW-Q90R Dolby Atmos and DTS soundbar.

https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/...s-lcd-tvs-android-/xbr-49x900e/specifications

https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/...2/HW-Q90R_ZC_FullManual_00_ENG_FRA_190326.pdf

At the beginning, I have a dual-boot desktop PC which runs Windows 10 and Linux. I use the HDMI 3 ARC port of the TV. Recently, I added a MacBook Pro 16" that can be dual boot to Mac OS and Windows 10. In addition, I have an Intel NUC.

For the Intel NUC, for strange reason, the TV shows no signal unless I connect it directly to the HDMI 3 ARC port of the TV. No other HDMI port works. It means I have to plug and unplug those HDMI 2.0 cables.

I want all machines to be able to have sound output from the soundbar and/or TV. Being able to use Dolby Atmos and DTS is a plus. Also, running 4K 60Hz with Chroma 4:4:4 for sharp looking text and compatible with Mac OS, Windows 10 and Linux. What product do you recommend? I have a FiveHome 4K@60Hz HDMI Switch 5x1 but at least from MacOS, although option for sound coming from the TV is available, there is no sound choosing it. Also, not sure if this is related, quite often the screen turns blank for a second and shows signals again.

I use the computers mainly for programming and work with some 4K gaming and YouTube watching. So, having a sharp looking text is important.

Confirm that all HDMI Inputs on the TV are full 4K UHD, HDR and the ‘mode’ is enabled on each Input, many TV’s come with some features disabled as default.

EDID is the system which allows the Input on the TV to communicate it’s capabilities to the connected Source device and again it may be different on different ports on the TV.

HDMI Cables are not version compliant - they have a separate ‘Certification’ system, Premium High Speed, High Speed, Standard Speed or they are not Certified.

If the TV does have different capabilities per Input you will want too add a multiple Input HDMI Switch which supports 4K UHD, HDR, HDCP 2.2 and possibly EDID management to the full capability Input on the TV.

Joe

Confirm that all HDMI Inputs on the TV are full 4K UHD, HDR and the ‘mode’ is enabled on each Input, many TV’s come with some features disabled as default.

EDID is the system which allows the Input on the TV to communicate it’s capabilities to the connected Source device and again it may be different on different ports on the TV.

HDMI Cables are not version compliant - they have a separate ‘Certification’ system, Premium High Speed, High Speed, Standard Speed or they are not Certified.

If the TV does have different capabilities per Input you will want too add a multiple Input HDMI Switch which supports 4K UHD, HDR, HDCP 2.2 and possibly EDID management to the full capability Input on the TV.

Joe

Hi Joe, from the spec of the TV, it seems that only HDMI 3 has all the features. I guess that is why when I connected other PC to other ports, it did not work.

I am using the StarTech HDMI Premium High Speed cables.

For the HDMI Switch, do you know any good product that fits my need? I tried the 4L@60Hz HDMI Switch 5x, FiveHome 5 Port HDMI Switcher but it does not work well (no output from soundbar nor TV). Checked various products but I cannot find one that have all the features I mentioned.

Finding a switch with good reliability and the ability to work in any system plus keep up with ever changing Source device Firmware updates can be a challenge - we supply HDFury, which are in a very different price point to the unit you link to.

Joe

Thanks but this is too expensive even in US currency. Know other less expensive one that can get the job done?

Try talking with the team at HDTV Supply in LA - they have a wide range of units and will advise on which of the lower cost units they supply are reliable.

We find HDFury very reliable so stick with that option.

Joe

Try talking with the team at HDTV Supply in LA - they have a wide range of units and will advise on which of the lower cost units they supply are reliable.

We find HDFury very reliable so stick with that option.

Joe

Why the HDFury has no more than 2 input ports? I would prefer one to have 3 or 4 ports.

HDFury have two ‘platforms’ the 2 Input - Integral2 and Vertex or the 4 Input - Vertex2, DiVA or Maestro.

Joe

Thanks. Sorry my miss. Is Vertex2 the best among the three? If I get the Vertex2, will it have all the features I mentioned to solve all my problems?

Somewhere I read that for a switch, when the PC goes to sleep mode and get woke up, the resolutions got reset which is inconvenience for those who use the PC as a computer monitor than a gaming machine. What feature should I look for to prevent this from happening?

Vertex2 will be ideal and with onboard EDID management and ‘PC’ mode you should not have any issues with the PC connectivity.

We have a fair few customers who have a PC or HTPC connected via various HDFury devices.

Joe

Thanks. Is Diva the same as Vertex2 with the additional feature of ambient LED?

Many similarities and some crucial differences to suit particular applications - key for many folk will be HDR to SDR on the DIVA, which is not an option with the Vertex2.

Joe

I watched some video of the ambient light from the DIVA. It looks so cool. Will both Vertex2 and Diva satisfy my requirements?

Both will do what you want in terms of video switching and ensuring the PC works - if the ambient light is of interest then the Diva will be ideal, you can combine it with an HDFury LED kit to suit the size of your display.

Drop me a note if you want more info around your system/which HDFury device.

Joe

Thank you.

I asked another manufacturer about their product over the weekend. They said that I won't be able to achieve 4:4:4 chroma with 4K @ 60 Hz as that will exceed the 18 Gbps that HDMI 2.0 supports. How do switches from other companies that claim to support 4K @60 with chroma 4:4:4 achieve that?

HDFury highlight the Max throughout capabilities for each device on the individual product pages - here is what the DIVA supports.

Joe

Max Resolution:4K60 4:4:4 8b, 4K60 4:2:2 12b, 4K120 4:2:0 8b or 8K30 4:2:0 8b

Thanks. So far I have seen three different ways of listing by different manufacturers. Are they the same thing:

Chroma 4:4:4
YCbCr 4:4:4
4:4:4

And in order for the text to be displayed sharply by 4K 60Hz TV, how many bits are needed?

Chroma Subsampling - Chroma subsampling - Wikipedia

Colour Spaces - Color space - Wikipedia

'And in order for the text to be displayed sharply by 4K 60Hz TV, how many bits are needed?' - font size, static text, horizontal motion processing, vertical motion processing, source material bit depth, source material resolution... so many variables.

Joe

Thanks. So far I have seen three different ways of listing by different manufacturers. Are they the same thing:

Chroma 4:4:4
YCbCr 4:4:4
4:4:4

And in order for the text to be displayed sharply by 4K 60Hz TV, how many bits are needed?

On the Sony X900E you must be connected to HDMI port 2 or 3 on the TV and have the TV in game or graphics preset mode to correctly display chroma 4:4:4 in RGB or YCC format.

At 4K 60hz you can do a maximum of 8-bit in RGB/YCC 4:4:4

If you still have some display issues try switching the GPU's video output from RGB to YCC, some TV displays handle this a little better. Intel, Nvidia and AMD all have a YCC option in their GPU control panel.

Thanks all. Although I like the Diva, after adding the LED, it is too expensive especially I got other expensive stuffs to buy. I am drawn between the Vertex2 and the less expensive EZCOO MX4HS, how are they compared with each other in terms of my needs?

Amazon product ASIN B083K39RHF
Another product priced in between the two is:

Amazon product ASIN B07TD81BDH
Can the EZCOO MX4HS get the job done well?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom