Please help. Audio noob struggling with sub woofer setup

AudioNoob92

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello audio enthusiasts,

I'm new to the world of audio and got my own place and can enjoy a wholesome setup.
I've been running a 2.1 setup for the last year. A pair of Martin Logan lx16s with a Martin Logan dynamo 500 watt sub. I was using a cheap desktop dac/amp for a while (SMSL AD18).

I just upgraded my reciever to an Anthem MRX520 as I am soon going to ad asset of monitor audio towers and a center to the setup. But alas my primitive mind cannot get the subwoofer to work. I am unfamiliar with ARC (but don't think I need to use it just yet anyways) and relatively unfamiliar with reciever settings. I know some basics. I am using a 1male to male audioquest black lab cable .

Here's are the backs of the reciever and the sub. I am using one of the sub pre outs and into the lfe connection.
Screenshot_20200325-190801__01.jpg

Screenshot_20200325-190622__01.jpg

I'd appreciate any help to diagnose and solve for the sub not working

Hi

So you’ve got the subwoofer pre-out coming from the amp into the right in (LFE) on the sub? That all sounds fine. Have you checked your Anthem’s set up to make sure that a subwoofer is present? It may think you haven’t got one so it’s not delivering a signal. Have a delve through the menus and let me know how you get on.

Good luck

Martin Logan's manuals are normally very clear. Just connect one of the Anthem's subwoofer outputs to "Right In (LFE In)" on the Dynamo, and switch Crossover to "Bypass (LFE In)". For the time being set the level to Max, adjust this later as per ARC (and the ML manual!).

For the Anthem you will need to consult the manual!

Check that the bass management setup is as per page 14 of the manual (this will be improved later on). Then set the distances as per a tape measure and page 15.

Finally run the ARC setup as per pages 28 -34. If for some reason you cannot do this, you'll have to try and configure everything by hand. This requires buying or borrowing a Sound Pressure Level meter and following the instructions on page 16. If that too is not feasible, you'll need to pay your dealer to do the setup for you.

Also set the bypass to ON on your sub as presumably you’re just going for LFE sound

Hi

So you’ve got the subwoofer pre-out coming from the amp into the right in (LFE) on the sub? That all sounds fine. Have you checked your Anthem’s set up to make sure that a subwoofer is present? It may think you haven’t got one so it’s not delivering a signal. Have a delve through the menus and let me know how you get on.

Good luck

I have setup the anthem to run on config 1 which has a the subwoofer set to on. But periodically the subwoofer turns off and I have to change the settings in the menu back to off and on again. Not sure what's happening there. For a brief instant, changing the volume on the sub actually increase the bass on the two bookshelves that I'm using as fronts. It was pretty strange but after that I haven't been able to effect any change by fiddling with the sub woofer switches and knobs

Hi
Martin Logan's manuals are normally very clear. Just connect one of the Anthem's subwoofer outputs to "Right In (LFE In)" on the Dynamo, and switch Crossover to "Bypass (LFE In)". For the time being set the level to Max, adjust this later as per ARC (and the ML manual!).

For the Anthem you will need to consult the manual!

Check that the bass management setup is as per page 14 of the manual (this will be improved later on). Then set the distances as per a tape measure and page 15.

Finally run the ARC setup as per pages 28 -34. If for some reason you cannot do this, you'll have to try and configure everything by hand. This requires buying or borrowing a Sound Pressure Level meter and following the instructions on page 16. If that too is not feasible, you'll need to pay your dealer to do the setup for you.
Hi Mark.
So it is setup like you described to a point. I have used the right in and the sub pre out on the reciever. The switch on the sub is set to bypass. Do I have to use arc to set this up? Or can it be setup easier for the time being? Is there another way to wire the sub from the preouts that might help? I can try a 2 male to 2 male setup I've read that it might be an option. Is that worth exploring

Hi

Hi Mark.
So it is setup like you described to a point. I have used the right in and the sub pre out on the reciever. The switch on the sub is set to bypass. Do I have to use arc to set this up? Or can it be setup easier for the time being? Is there another way to wire the sub from the preouts that might help? I can try a 2 male to 2 male setup I've read that it might be an option. Is that worth exploring
The wiring is correct. I assume you've set the dial on the right of the Dynamo to 12 o'clock and the master power switch to "Auto On"? (Or Always On, if that option is available on the Dynamo).

ARC is the easiest way to configure the Anthem correctly, but if you want to set up something without, the instructions in the manual are clear, if time-consuming.

To test that the subwoofer is working though, you just need to send a test noise (manual page 16). If the subwoofer makes a noise, the subwoofer is functioning, if not, you'll need to figure out if it's a bad connection cable or if something is broken, for which you'll probably want to involve your dealer.

The "2 male to 2 male" setup is pointless, on the Anthem it's to support two mono subwoofers, on the Martin Logan it's to support stereo inputs from an integrated stereo amplifier. You have neither.

BTW, in "Auto on" the subwoofer will power down when no signal is received (post #6). This is normal, but if it's happening whilst listening music with a deep bass content, might be indicative of not having the Anthem's crossovers set correctly (manual page 14). 80Hz would be a sensible starting guess for your LX16's. ARC will set it correctly of course.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom