Please recommend a good WIRED headset

mascot

Established Member
Reaction score
After trying many headsets (including the official one) I've given up on bluetooth as a viable medium for PS3 gaming voice-chat. There's just too many disconnects, crackles, hisses and pops, and voices sound like they are emanating from a dustbin at the bottom of the ocean.

Sparking up the 360 and getting into party chat with friends while we play our PS3s works like a charm, but it seems a bit silly having two consoles chugging away when we are really only using one. None of us want tree-huggers pooping through our letterboxes.

I'm therefore taking a trip back in time to 1972 and am going to re-adopt good old dependable wired comms, so need some recommendations for a good, cheapish USB headset that WORKS. Ideally it would be light and comfortable, cost no more than £15 and come with a 4m cable.

Little help please..?
:smashin:

try and get one of the ps2's solcom headset's ( that you get with games )
a mate of mine uses one and no complains about it

andrew

I use the one that came with socom on PS2, the lead is not 4m but is USB so I just plug in a USB extension lead.

Should be cheap on ebay I guess.

I can vouch for the Logitech Vantage. It is excelllent. Gave up on bluetooth long before....

Thanks for the tips, but I've heard from several sources that the Logitech Vantage is not very comfortable, especially if you have a large-ish head. Can anyone comment?

Thanks for the tips, but I've heard from several sources that the Logitech Vantage is not very comfortable, especially if you have a large-ish head. Can anyone comment?

Surgery to reduce your head size? Other than that I dont know. ;) :devil:

On a serious note, I too am looking at getting the logitech vantage. I havent found it in stock anywhere for less than £19.99 though. Havent tried my local PC world yet, although they dont seem to list it on the website so I dont know if they will have it.

Last edited:
Surgery to reduce your head size? Other than that I dont know. ;) :devil:

I wonder whether I could get a discount if I got my fingers surgically removed at the second knuckle as well? That way the PS3 pad might actually fit my hands...
;)

I wonder whether I could get a discount if I got my fingers surgically removed at the second knuckle as well? That way the PS3 pad might actually fit my hands...
;)

:rotfl:

Does this Logitech Vantage (you know, the head-squeezing one) have a mute button/volume control?

That's pretty important to me based on previous XBL experience.

The new official (wireless) headset is meant to be the best headset available. I have one and it is definatly better than a standard blutooth.

I think alot of the 'noise' and interference you are experiecing is not due to your headsets and more to do with the psn. :)

I think alot of the 'noise' and interference you are experiecing is not due to your headsets and more to do with the psn. :)

God, I really hope not. I'm praying that going back to a wired headset will make voice chat as good as it is on XBL.

Sony really did drop a massive sweaty elephant bo11ock by not including a wired headset in with the PS3. As cock-ups go, it's of the same order of magnitude as Microsoft releasing a version of the 360 without a hard drive. I bet there's a whole host of PSN users who will NEVER have anyone on their friends list because they can't communicate with anyone properly.

Why can't these competing manufacturers just identify the the best features of videogame systems and plan accordingly? How can they keep getting the basics so very wrong?

As I posted on another (similar) thread - see link - and as someone has suggested, look for a PS2 game with headset on the bay of E.... lovely and cheap :thumbsup: Works a treat!

Last edited:
Does this Logitech Vantage (you know, the head-squeezing one) have a mute button/volume control?

That's pretty important to me based on previous XBL experience.

Well I ordered one yesterday off of amazon so I will let you know when it arrives ;)

God, I really hope not. I'm praying that going back to a wired headset will make voice chat as good as it is on XBL.

Sony really did drop a massive sweaty elephant bo11ock by not including a wired headset in with the PS3. As cock-ups go, it's of the same order of magnitude as Microsoft releasing a version of the 360 without a hard drive. I bet there's a whole host of PSN users who will NEVER have anyone on their friends list because they can't communicate with anyone properly.

Why can't these competing manufacturers just identify the the best features of videogame systems and plan accordingly? How can they keep getting the basics so very wrong?
Agree, really is the biggest clanger on SONYs part. People just don't use comms on PSN as a result. Real shame IMHO.

I too am looking for something better - I use a bluetooth sony/ericsson, but its such a pain to use...

The official PS2 USB headsets are the best m8. There made by logitec they don't make them anymore but I bet if you look in Game or GameStation they will have the old socom bundles. There is socom 1,2,3 all got releaset with a headset bundle with them should cost like £3 now. Or look on ebay.

I'll try to find a SOCOM headset, but I'm pretty sure they don't have a vol/mute control - perhaps someone can confirm/deny?

Quick technical question: will any USB headset work OK for in-game chat on a PS3? For example, I've found this one...

Agent JPL 301 Monaural NC USB Headset | Agent | Corded Headsets | Headsets Agent Headsets - Telephone Headsets, Call Centre Headsets, Office Headsets, Corded Headsets, Cheap Headsets, Low Cost Headsets | AgentHeadsets.com

...which has a volume & mute button, but have no idea whether it'll work.

Can anyone answer this please?

:lease:

I'll try to find a SOCOM headset, but I'm pretty sure they don't have a vol/mute control - perhaps someone can confirm/deny?

Quick technical question: will any USB headset work OK for in-game chat on a PS3? For example, I've found this one...

Agent JPL 301 Monaural NC USB Headset | Agent | Corded Headsets | Headsets Agent Headsets - Telephone Headsets, Call Centre Headsets, Office Headsets, Corded Headsets, Cheap Headsets, Low Cost Headsets | AgentHeadsets.com

...which has a volume & mute button, but have no idea whether it'll work.

Can anyone answer this please?

:lease:

Hi mascot there is 2 Socom headsets the one with Socom Navy Seals and Jungle Storm do not have a volume/mute control. But the one (witch is better imo) with Socom Navy Seals 2 and 3 and combined assault has a better fitting and has volume/mute control.

As far as I know any USB headset (as long as it has no installation software) will work fine on the PlayStation 3.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom