Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week it's the best of the month with Ed's vinyl, album and playlist suggestions along with the best films, 4K discs and TV shows.

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:20 - Welcome
00:03:49 - Tom's Thumbs - new videos from AVForums
00:04:30 - Competitions
00:06:30 - RIP Alan Parker
00:08:40 - RIP Wilford Brimley
00:10:18 - Steve enjoying a good argument
00:12:00 - Apologies for the lip sync issues. Something to do with Streamlabs/Skype/NDI
00:12:54 - More on Tom's Thumbs. Previews of content on streaming services.
00:09:15 - Cas and people who won't wear masks in public. And cinema discussion (again).
00:24:00 - CES 2021 digital only. The advantages of meeting people in person at shows.
00:30:30 - TV Reviews - Hisense 55U8QF being delivered for review
00:31:15 - Ed's two-tonearm turntable
00:34:55 - JBL 4349 speakers announced
00:39:45 - Mains conditioners and testing review equipment
00:44:37 - Best films of July
00:50:15 - Best Blu-ray releases of July
00:56:50 - Q&A
01:06:30 - Best album of July
01:09:55 - Best vinyl of July
01:10:50 - Best playlist of July
01:15:22 - Q&A
01:18:30 - Best TV shows of July
01:38:10 - Announcement and goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Tom Davies, Cas Harlow, Steve Withers and Ed Selley.

This week's podcast competition: Win a copy of Doctor Sleep on Blu-ray. Listen for the question in this podcast, select the correct answer in the competition here: https://www.avforums.com/competitions... The competition is open to UK resident AVForums members and closes midnight Thursday 7th August 2020.

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all of you as always for a truly great, entertaining & informative podcast. Personally, I'll miss this when you take your (well earned) Summer break! Hope you can do the Five of you together again - it was extra fun!

@Steve Withers Regarding Jack Ryan & Dolby Atmos, it definitely had Atmos right from Season 1, please see this Forum thread, from comment #4 (The series was also in Dolby Vision, which has also been removed):-

And Cas also states it in his Season 2 Review:-
Screenshot 2020-08-03 at 06.57.15.png

I was hoping to gert some thoughts from the Team on this unsung removal, but never mind :)

Last edited:
Great podcast as usual, lots of laughs for me. 67 thumbs up!

I had atmos as well on Jack Ryan.

And i enjoyed Toms news bit on youtube. Keep it up. :clap:

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you as always for a truly great, entertaining & informative podcast. Personally, I'll miss this when you take your (well earned) Summer break! Hope you can do the Five of you together again - it was extra fun!

@Steve Withers Regarding Jack Ryan & Dolby Atmos, it definitely had Atmos right from Season 1, please see this Forum thread, from comment #4 (The series was also in Dolby Vision, which has also been removed):-

And Cas also states it in his Season 2 Review:-
View attachment 1344273
I was hoping to gert some thoughts from the Team on this unsung removal, but never mind :)
Yes I know Jack Ryan had Atmos on season 1 and 2, and Vision on season 1, but I wasn't aware they have since been removed. Amazon's approach to Dolby Vision and Atmos is a strange one, but personally I think they should at least embrace Atmos were available. Given the way things are developing, I can't see them supporting HDR10+ for much longer either. Did we not discuss this in the podcast? I know I raised the issue last night.

Yes I know Jack Ryan had Atmos on season 1 and 2, and Vision on season 1, but I wasn't aware they have since been removed. Amazon's approach to Dolby Vision and Atmos is a strange one, but personally I think they should at least embrace Atmos were available. Given the way things are developing, I can't see them supporting HDR10+ for much longer either. Did we not discuss this in the podcast? I know I raised the issue last night.
Hi Steve, excuse the delay, but I was searching for the part where you replied on the podcast. My fault - you actually said "Only ever" but I thought I heard "Never ever" when I was listening live last night. Big apologies!

Good fun as always, the Tay-tay Appreciation Station :rotfl:

Heartily agree with Cas on the new Transformers series, first time since the 1986 movie that I feel they’ve captured the right tone. Serious without being joyless, and the right level of threat from Megatron.

Fleeting mention of the Mafia Netflix doc (Fear City), which is riveting. The blatant criminality and uselessness of law enforcement to stop them truly feels like a different age. As soon as the FBI started treating the mafia like a terrorist organisation, they were able to go to war with them and shut it all down.

Great podcast guys, it looked liked you all had a good time too.

It is possible Dolby Atmos is still available on Amazon Prime, but like the 4K content it’s just impossible to find.

I agree that Karl Urban is great, Dredd was amazing and I really enjoyed Almost Human.

Really looking forward to getting to watch the new Transformers, luckily I have a son the right age to enjoy it with me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom