Podcast: Latest home entertainment tech news & reviews plus the best/worst Samuel L Jackson movies

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week Ed gets a drinking partner with Tom joining us to talk AV news, TV reviews and movies as well as the normal off tangent discussions.

This week's podcast competition: Win a copy of Jumanji: The Next Level on Blu-ray. Listen for the question in this podcast, select the correct answer in the competition here: https://www.avforums.com/competitions... The competition is open to UK resident AVForums members and closes Friday 31st July 2020.

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:18 - Welcome
00:03:20 - Competitions
00:05:00 - Update on Steve's home cinema
00:11:20 - LG SN11RG soundbar review
00:18:10 - RIP Olivia DeHavilland
00:20:20 - RIP John Saxon
00:25:20 - New AKG headphone news and more stuff from Ed
00:38:00 - TVs in for review. Panasonic HZ2000 and Philips 805
00:54:10 - What has Tom been up to? Spartan Kick on Assassin's Creed Odyssey
00:56:00 - What is it like going to the cinema? Tom tells us about the safety protocols
01:02:40 - What movies are coming out this week? Proxima, The Vigil
01:10:50 - Boomer Fight! Shatner VS RLM
01:13:50 - Dune discussion
01:16:50 - Q&A
01:26:45 - Best and worst of Samuel L Jackson
01:39:00 - Thanks and goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Tom Davies, Ed Selley and Steve Withers.

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:
thanks for the podcast

Samuel J , best performance. small but great part in 'Jungle Fever'

worst film Turbo...…….an awful film about a super fast snail!

I was unable to join in on the live chat due to visiting my mum-in-law up in Leeds and it was too much of a palaver to log in on wifey's laptop to be able to go onto the live chat, but better late than never.

Lots of daft banter and my suggestion on someone to play the part of Count Withers is none other than..... Megamind. As for Samuel L J he has never been, and probably will never be a passenger in my taxi. all the best LT. :lesson:

I need avatar in HDR and wcg. So sue me

Thanks as always for a great & Entertaining Podcast, Gents. I just caught up on the bit I missed.
23:10 Yep, Steve as Dr. Death strikes again - looks somebody up to see if they are still alive; well, they were, until....! 😱
@Ed Selley I totally agree on a good pair of headphones giving a great Movie experience - I use the same ones I carried for mixing Live Sound. But in terms of Movies with a lot of overhead effects, are there any truly effective "Atmos" headphones, or does the close proximity of the individual drivers end it up being very similar to a good pair of regular headphones?

Love the podcast lads, never miss it, but just wondering why are you all so hesitant to use the odd swear word?? I've been listening to podcasts for years and no one's afraid to swear! Are there some podcast rules that i'm not aware off? It's no big deal but it just sticks out sometimes when there's a "moment" when someone nearly does, and quickly realizes, and stops! 😁

Glad to hear that Samsung will not be “busting a nut” to help Sonos owners with eARC :rotfl:

Good show as always. Not surprised that Panasonic are nailing OLED for movie buffs, but good to see Philips coming up on the rails with well-thought-out picture modes, functional Android TV, all the HDR flavours and Ambilight. The big names are now getting their act together on OLED, LG better watch out.

Hello Ed, please can you review Dan Clark Aeon Flow closed Headphones. Many believe they are currently best closed back under £1000.

also look into Kanto TUK computer desktop near field Speakers. Just reviewed recently by What HIFI.

I think flagship TV’s should support all major streaming Apps:
1. NowTV in 1080p via Boost.
2. BBC iPLAYER with HLG,
3. Prime,
4. Netflix,
5. APPLE TV+, Apple iTUNES movies.
6. YouTUBE in 4k/HDR.
7. Disney+ with Atmos.

yes you can buy a media device such as AppleTV4K , NVIDIA Shield, but they have their own issues with compatibility. Best way is Native TV Apps.

Hello Ed, please can you review Dan Clark Aeon Flow closed Headphones. Many believe they are currently best closed back under £1000.

I'll look into it.

also look into Kanto TUK computer desktop near field Speakers. Just reviewed recently by What HIFI.

Did them for HiFi Choice. They're not bad but didn't do anything truly spectacular.

Ed there's a very big difference between busting a gut and busting a nut so careful what you promise to do for your boss on the next job. ;) Great podcast as always.

Ed there's a very big difference between busting a gut and busting a nut so careful what you promise to do for your boss on the next job. ;) Great podcast as always.
I'm from the Past, but when I was younger, Busting a Nut meant the same as Busting a Gut. I think the "new" meaning of the phrase originated from that bunch across the Pond. :p

Thanks gents, the new podcasts are going from strength to strength. I see that CES 2021 is going to be held solely online now. Hopefully consumers will get to see more for once.

Can't see how they still plan to run, albeit a very slimmed down version, this year's IFA.

Last edited:
Entertaining podcast as ever gents! Looking forward to the NAD AVR review, and especially the comparison on room EQ/correction systems.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom