Podcast: Philips 2020 TVs, CES, Denon, Disney+, Top Gun & Jaws 4K, B+W Clint Eastwood & More AV News

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:00:00 - Start
00:03:45 - Thank you, front line workers
00:04:05 - Competitions
00:08:40 - What has Ed been up to? New car arrived. Car talk
00:15:30 - What has Phil been up to? Mustang madness
00:17:25 - New Denon AVRs
00:24:40 - Q&A part 1
00:26:00 - What has Cas been up to? Tom Cruise movies on 4K Blu-ray
00:32:00 - Jaws 4K Blu-ray
00:41:15 - Bloodshot & Pitch Black on 4K Blu-ray
00:45:25 - What has Steve been up to? CES 2021 to go ahead.
00:55:10 - Anyone going to the cinema when they open?
00:56:25 - Philips TVs
00:57:27 - Black frame insertion opinion
01:03:20 - Cas what's coming out? Blu-rays and streaming news
01:14:07 - Ed loves Dante's Peak
01:18:04 - Q&A part 2
01:33:34 - Best and Worst of Clint Eastwood
01:48:00 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Cas Harlow, Ed Selley and Steve Withers.

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:49:08 | File Size: 167mb | Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Good job again guys. I distinctly remember the idea of a "video podcast" was instantly vaporized by you guys ages ago. Amazing what a pandemic can do eh?

Got to say Jaws is one a very few films where by it hasn't lost one iota of enjoyment from the 1st viewing, to God know how many times it's been seen now. Of course lots of films don't loose their appeal, but with Jaws I get the same level of emotions every time. Duel comes very close so it's something that Spielberg manges to do. But say E.T has lost something for me, but I guess that could be the child led cast and I aint no child anymore.

Thanks for another entertaining Podcast everyone - always a great way to start the week 👍🏻
Looking forward to the 4K Top Gun & War of the Worlds, though right now I'll have to do a rental on those. On my "To Buy" list, though, when things (hopefully) improve.
1:16:20 Volcano I guess they could have added a "Based on actual Tectonic Events" Disclaimer at the beginning to get away with the title / lack of actual Volcano! :)
EDIT: Space Cowboys is definitely fabulous, & Paint Your Wagon - I actually like that Movie due to Clint Singing, the Song "There's a Coach coming in", & the Stories of what Lee Marvin got up to in the making! And now I have the "Where Eagles Dare" theme tune in my head!

Last edited:
Regarding the key to Ed's car. Could it be used for deactivating the passenger airbag, like on the fiesta? (in the clove compartment)

Regarding the key to Ed's car. Could it be used for deactivating the passenger airbag, like on the fiesta? (in the clove compartment)

That’s on a rotary switch.

Excellent podcast as ever chaps. For what it’s worth my favourite Clint Eastwood film as an actor is Don Siegel’s southern gothic The Beguiled and as a director his very first film, Play Misty for Me. One of his most overlooked and forgotten films is Changeling. Anchored by one of Angelina Jolie’s strongest performances and telling a disturbing story of child murder and institutional corruption, I can understand why it wasn’t a bigger hit, but a terrific film none the less.

Oh, and if your a fan of Clint’s singing he duets with Jamie Cullum(!) over the end credits of Gran Torino.

Good to hear love for The Vast of Night as well. Lovely little sci-fi film which does wonder and terror very well.

Last edited:
Oh, and if your a fan of Clint’s singing he duets with Jamie Cullum(!) over the end credits of Gran Torino.
Thanks - have to check that out!
One reason I Love the Paint Your Wagon Song is the first line.

"I Talk to the Trees, but they don't listen to me"

No S*** Clint, what medication are you on, or have you been drinking with Lee again?
:D

729427A9-8514-49B6-9D60-5031D4FC607D.jpeg

@Casimir Harlow Judging by your Cruise overload your new tagline should be "I feel the need the need for speed"

Excellent information and entertainment as usual lads but it's a pity there wasn't more Clint. His career as actor and director contains a staggering amount of artistically and historically relevant films, Play Misty For Me being a personal favourite.

He's perhaps the greatest star of them all and has managed to be both an artist and a pop cultural phenomenon at the same time. His excellency also impressively delivered on budget and on time. I think a podcast special would be fitting and fascinating led by @Casimir Harlow maybe?

So will next weeks filmography discussion be Paul Newman - He's been brought up a couple of times in the last few weeks (Cars & The Color of Money).

Wasn't there talk of an article a while back comparing Streaming Vs 4K disks?
I know the disk will win hands down due to the much higher bitrate, but I'm keen to know how close it is given the lower costs and convenience factors - esp as I just saw Apocalypse Now - The Final Cut (4K, Dolby Vision, and Dolby Atmos) for €3.99 on iTunes.

Patrons get to choose who we talk about in this Sunday's podcast from a shortlist.

Thanks gents and like you, I'm extremely hesitant about going to the cinema and may/will only go during off peak times. Hopefully it will be totally safe by the time Matrix 4 is released next year!

Great Podcast again folks.

I was "inspired" to break out my Space Cowboys DVD (yep still exists lol) - great fun and complete nonsense but a watchable couple of hours.

Keep up the good work :)

I was "inspired" to break out my Space Cowboys DVD (yep still exists lol) - great fun and complete nonsense but a watchable couple of hours.

I have to admit, if it appeared on a streaming service, I'd be on it.

Thanks gents and like you, I'm extremely hesitant about going to the cinema and may/will only go during off peak times. Hopefully it will be totally safe by the time Matrix 4 is released next year!
That Lyngdorf Processor has never been so appealing.

Well, hectic week since last Sunday's podcast, which was fun as ever. Just haven't had time to reply until now!

At 24m 57 sec, Mr Withers acknowledges my wee donation and promises to answer my question this week. Within two minutes I leave my flat to go to my very local Tesco (only about 120 yards away), hunting for food bargains. I return from Tesco within 12 minutes and rejoin the podcast.

At 51:45 I write my two posts about having gone to Tesco and the 75% discount bargains to be had,
Tesco bargains - cr.jpg

2 x 450g Shepherd's pie, 2 x 450g Cheddar mash, 2 x 300g chicken, tomato and basil pasta, 2 x 320g pepper stir fry mix, and 3 x 180g curly kale all for £4:82!

1hr16min39 seconds, Mr Hinton asks for Q and A
1:17:16 Mr Withers said that I'd gone to Tesco earlier, (but in fact I didn't miss too much).
1:18:09 My Atmos question (which I had typed earlier in another window and I was just waiting to copy and paste) appears in the chat window
1:22:35 I cheekily add another question, about Emotiva or Yamaha 11-channel amplifiers.
1:23:23 That very nice Mr Selley mentions that I've asked about Emotiva and Yamaha, and Messrs Withers and Hinton discuss it for five minutes, which is quite a good crack so I mustn't be greedy!
1:28:12 I acknowledge Mr Withers's Emotiva advice, and ask about my earlier (Atmos) question.
1:33:07 Mr Withers says "What earlier question?" - I'm now shouting at the screen "Aaargh!!"
1:34:30 Mr Hinton says I'm to ask my (earlier) question again.
1:34:30 My Atmos question appears in the chat window again, but as you then went to discuss the great Clint Eastwood it wasn't appropriate to answer it later.

All fun and games! I've now asked my Atmos question five times over the past three podcasts, but no luck in getting answered. I'll try again tomorrow, but as I say, I got a very good response to my later Emotiva or Yamaha question so I really can't complain too much!

I must say that I'm loving the videocasts. A pay rise of £1,000 to whoever thought of incorporating video to your previous sound broadcasts, which were also very good. Plus, the chat window is a highly positive interactive feature and definitely rewards watching the videocast live, as opposed to catching it later. Great stuff, as Mr Hinton often says! :)

A Dirty Harry clip appeared in my YouTube timeline last night. Its witcherycraft I tells ya

Nah, sounds like a conspiracy to me .....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom