Podcast: Sky HDR quality, New TVs, Dolby Atmos via Tidal, Best Arnold Schwarzenegger Movies & More AV News

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:00:00 - Start
00:03:13 - Thank you, key workers!
00:03:42 - Current Competitions
00:05:07 - What has Phil done this week?
00:08:59 - LG CX and Panasonic HZ1500 OLEDs turn up for review
00:15:41 - First impressions of Sky HLG HDR
00:18:22 - What has Ed done this week?
00:20:02 - Hi-Fi News
00:29:04 - Hisense to launch 2020 LED LCD TVs
00:31:11 - What has Cas done this week?
00:37:24 - Virtual film festivals?
00:44:14 - Q&A
00:46:00 - Dolby Atmos Music on Tidal, first thoughts on the technology and how it works
01:08:54 - Ed's Playlist, vinyl and album of the month
01:13:12 - This week's films, discs and streaming releases
01:26:43 - Q&A 2
01:38:40 - The best and worst Arnold Schwarzenegger movies
01:52:24 - Q&A 3
01:54:19 - Goodbyes
01:56:27 - Ends

Presented by Phil Hinton with Cas Harlow and Ed Selley.

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:56:31 | File Size: 185mb | Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:
Ok i've found the article from "Audioholics" I was trying to describe (badly) via the live feed regarding Dolby eliminating a key feature regarding upmixing two channel sound. Personally i'm a bit of a luddite on this one as prefer to listen to (audio) stereo in stereo.

Thanks as always for the Podcast. Hope Steve feels better soon - Hayfever is no fun!
P.S. Loved the photo behind Ed - I take it that this was taken before the Lemming leaping off of the cliff followed by the Lemming train of people leaving the Beach at, oh, 1.5 Inches between each person & hardly a mask in sight! 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for feedback on my Atmos question, being a Kraftwerk fan, it is heartening to hear others confirm my own thoughts, that the 3D catalogue is a brilliant recording particularly in Atmos

Enjoyed the podcast right the way through.

Looking forward to Sunday already

I certainly agree about some conferences/product launches, could be done over the internet but would still like to see videos from exhibitions, with you guys giving excited reports on new products, as much as I like the idea of less travelling and better promo videos, there is nothing quite like a reporter being genuinely pumped after seeing a new product that is exciting.

look forward to the TV reviews that are inbound, hope it isn't 3 months like the Yamaha amps :D

The allergy injection piqued my interest as I'm sure I had something similar in the 80s. A quick Google found this (pretty old) article
" Immunotherapy - a series of injections that desensitise allergy-prone individuals - led to the deaths of a number of patients treated by GPs in the early 1980s after they suffered anaphylactic shock (sudden collapse) on being exposed to doses of the substance to which they were sensitive. "
Ah, right yes, that'd be why they stopped it. It seems though that it's being used as a treatment for cancer, which is cool.

It seems you can also still get it for hayfever if nothing else works, although it seems to be a longer treatment than we used to have in the 80s

Ah Red Dwarf The Promised Land. Its like when Monty Python reformed at the O2. Timing was all over the place and so many things just weren't as funny as they were, even though they were the same jokes.

It's just doesnt work for today, yet the old stuff still does. Weird. But Holy was still on form.

Great podcast as always. Quite liking the new format with the Q&A and best and worst films of an actor.

@Casimir Harlow Agree with Onward but all my kids asked me was to go get some snacks as they didn't want to miss anything on screen

@Phil Hinton as someone who had to make room for an electric table and ergonomic office chair to work remotely in comfort in a cramped apartment, I changed the stand on my 2019 Panasonic OLED to a VESA swiveling stand. The HZ series would have saved me some money (the furniture arrangement may look odd at the moment but it works for me :p )

@Ed Selley ... Supernature by Goldfrapp is also one of my all time favourite 5.1 SACDs, I like that you mentioned this album.

Thanks again for another good listen. I must get around to watching live at some point.

I think @Phil Hinton made a throw away comment about loads of people working from home as a permanent thing. I'm in the commercial property investment game and the current research shows that the majority of folks want to return. Mainly because human interaction is valued over the time saved not commuting. The main constraint is, though, public transport use, which is seen to slow the return to the office rather than prevent it. I work in Central London and can't wait to return - albeit i cycle to work anyway !

Pinch of salt caveat to any piece of research, though...

Best

MB

Thanks gents and I hope Victor Meldrew is fit enough for the next week's edition.

Look forward to all the forthcoming reviews and Phil's homemade Filmmaker mode recipe.

Re DA music, live concerts could be good with the surrounding crowd noise and if Jeff Wayne's The War of the Worlds is anything like the SACD version, it would be a cracker.

Still listening only halfway through so not sure if it was answered, but the transmission from spaceX barges is almost always lost as the rockets knock the transmitters out of alignment to the satellite. They do record and upload later

Also, there is a huge kenelog ? Thread in GC somewhere regarding hayfever injections

As I say if you covered it I haven't got there yet :rotfl:

Predator is up there as a great Arnie film but don’t forget his 2015 film ‘Maggie’ as he turns in a great performance.

@Phil Hinton @Ed Selley @Steve Withers @Casimir Harlow

I noticed a couple of podcasts ago you had a question from @richardsim7 regarding the bass filtering of movies, to which you seemed dissatisfied by the fact the studios do this. So, as there's an easy fix for this (Bass EQ) I wonder how you all feel about implenting this within your own systems?.. I've often heard Steve mention how some movies have stonking/awesome soundtracks (most of which have decent 20hz extension) So very curious about your opinions on using BEQ? which will make the multitude of lackluster bass movies, sound as good as those you recommend so highly.. :) Please don't mention directors intent, as it's clear that 'directors intent' is non existent when it comes to re-releasing movies.. you only have to look at the likes of Hellboy 2, War Of The Worlds and many, many more titles, to realise this ;)

WOTW Atmos
cQ6M6Wa.jpg

WOTW DTSMA 5.1
i7lIC1B.jpg

Loved the Arnie section of the podcast. I too think that The Last Action Hero is underrated, its a great concept. But ultimately Predator is by far his finest film and also my all time favourite film.

@Phil Hinton @Ed Selley @Steve Withers @Casimir Harlow

I noticed a couple of podcasts ago you had a question from @richardsim7 regarding the bass filtering of movies, to which you seemed dissatisfied by the fact the studios do this. So, as there's an easy fix for this (Bass EQ) I wonder how you all feel about implenting this within your own systems?.. I've often heard Steve mention how some movies have stonking/awesome soundtracks (most of which have decent 20hz extension) So very curious about your opinions on using BEQ? which will make the multitude of lackluster bass movies, sound as good as those you recommend so highly.. :) Please don't mention directors intent, as it's clear that 'directors intent' is non existent when it comes to re-releasing movies.. you only have to look at the likes of Hellboy 2, War Of The Worlds and many, many more titles, to realise this ;)

WOTW Atmos
cQ6M6Wa.jpg

WOTW DTSMA 5.1
i7lIC1B.jpg

No opinion on what is essentially one of the biggest upgrades you can do lads? @Phil Hinton @Ed Selley @Steve Withers @Casimir Harlow

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom