Podcast: TCL C815 TV, Denon & Huawei wireless speaker reviews, New Sony 4K PJ's and more...

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week we launch our Wednesday podcast with a review of the 65-inch TCL C815 TV, Steve looks at some wireless speakers from Denon and Huawei and Sony announces three new native 4K HDR Projectors. Ed gives us his music choice of the week and we discuss the latest film and TV show news and reviews.

Presented by Phil Hinton with Cas Harlow, Ed Selley and Steve Withers.

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:25 - Welcome to our first Wednesday podcast
00:03:08 - Support us!
00:05:37 - A brief history of the week by Tom
00:08:40 - A brief history of the week by Ed
00:10:32 - A brief history of the week by Phil
00:15:10 - A brief history of the week by Steve
00:16:00 - Is Vertigo as good a movie as people say?
00:18:55 - Competitions
00:21:30 - HARDWARE
00:22:00 - Panasonic TX-55HZ1000 OLED TV review
00:23:30 - TCL 65C815K LED LCD TV review
00:30:15 - Denon Home 350 wireless speaker review
00:34:40 - Huawei Sound X wireless speaker review
00:37:10 - MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL speaker review
00:42:00 - Q&A 00:49:45 - SOFTWARE
00:51:05 - Ed's album of the week - NILS WULKER - GO
00:53:00 - Music recommendations
00:58:50 - The Devil All The Time movie review
01:04:20 - RIP Diana Rigg
01:06:30 - Wonder Woman: 1984 trailer
01:08:35 - Bond - No Time to Die and Dune trailers
01:12:10 - Mulan finances discussion
01:13:54 - The Mandalorian trailer and Disney+ subs discussion
01:15:13 - Star Trek Discovery agreement
01:17:35 - Air Crash Investigation enthusiasm
01:20:08 - Other good stuff on TV
01:25:00 - Tom's Thumbs
01:26:13 - Sony VPL-VW590 and VPL-VW790 projector news and opinion
01:29:00 - Rotel RSP-1576MKII and RAP-1580MKII news and opinion
01:31:10 - Q&A
01:32:20 - Podcast competition
01:32:54 - Goodbyes

This week's podcast competition: Win a copy of 21 Bridges on Blu-ray. Listen for the question in this podcast, select the correct answer in the competition here: https://www.avforums.com/competitions... The competition is open to UK resident AVForums members and closes midnight of the Thursday following the podcast.

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:
I have searched on the homepage and couldn't find the TCL tv review?

According to an article on Comingsoon.net Mulan's performance on Disney+ is quite the earner for Disney as estimates amount to 260 million dollars earned so far.....and that would be on the conservative side !

Earlier it was reported that Disney is re-considering its theatrical release dates for Black Widow and Soul with many cinema's still closed in the US. Let's see what Disney is doing with these movies in the near future.

Mulan Has Apparently Netted $260 Million On Disney+

According to an article on Comingsoon.net Mulan's performance on Disney+ is quite the earner for Disney as estimates amount to 260 million dollars earned so far.....and that would be on the conservative side !

Earlier it was reported that Disney is re-considering its theatrical release dates for Black Widow and Soul with many cinema's still closed in the US. Let's see what Disney is doing with these movies in the near future.

Mulan Has Apparently Netted $260 Million On Disney+
If the article is correct and Mulan took at least $260m in the US alone, then Disney's strategy would appear to have been a massive success. When you consider all that money goes directly to Disney, it's the equivalent of taking $520m at the US box-office. Compare that to Tenet's $29m (so far) and I'd say Disney has played a blinder.

Barely breaking even doesn't bode well for the future of big budget films.
Probably not a bad thing, lower budgets might result in greater creativity. It's insane that tentpole films are routinely costing $200-300m. Even without Covid-19, I don't think budgets of that size are sustainable going forward.

Probably not a bad thing, lower budgets might result in greater creativity. It's insane that tentpole films are routinely costing $200-300m. Even without Covid-19, I don't think budgets of that size are sustainable going forward.

I tend to agree , it's all well and good making mega budget movies with phenomenal CGI effects (and dare I say superb surround) but if the story line is pants you can chuck untold millions at a film with regards to its visuals and all in Panavision widescreen glory and it still will be cack. Narrative is the backbone of any motion picture but if the backbone is weak then the movie will falter and fall regardless of its production values, ok decent to good acting helps as well.

Apart from the first one which I thought was pretty good (imo) and also "Bumblebee" of which both had top notch effects, all the other Transformer films visually as good as they were, felt like a mallet was continually pounding my brain to pulp. This goes for "Cats" as well with all its eye candy (and i'm referring to the effects and not the female leads) plus an all star cast, er apart from James Corden that is.

If the article is correct and Mulan took at least $260m in the US alone, then Disney's strategy would appear to have been a massive success. When you consider all that money goes directly to Disney, it's the equivalent of taking $520m at the US box-office. Compare that to Tenet's $29m (so far) and I'd say Disney has played a blinder.

When you count in that it's only been two weeks since Mulan hit Disney+ it can count as a massive earner for Disney regardless of how bad it did in China.....Disney+ has about 60+ million active accounts now and that can only grow when more countries are added in the coming year. If it reaches 350/400 million total by the time it hits Disney+ for free it could make Disney decide to drop more movies on Disney+ together with theatrical release.
I read back the article on a possible delay of Black Widow and Pixar's Soul and it states that Disney is eying new release options for Pixar's Soul which could move to Disney+.
Problem with moving Black Widow is that Marvel's schedule will get messed up again.....and a recent promo for Disney+ revealed that Marvel's Wandavision is coming this year so how will Disney handle the release of Black Widow ??!!
I think they should drop it on Disney+ as well in the same way they did with Mulan.....2021 is getting packed with movies as is with the remaining movies currently scheduled for 4th quarter of 2020 getting pushed into the next year.
I don't see Universal releasing No Time To Die nor do i see Warner releasing Dune one week before Wonder Woman 1984.....
Tenet did not save the cinema's as it's doing minimal business around the world for such a big event film and i think that keeps making studio's push their films forward in the hope of better days.

Hollywood is changing in a big way and even though big budget movies will still be released in the future there will be less of them.
Also the good old traditional release strategy of a movie (theatrical-physical-digital-tv) will also change from now on......shorter windows between theatrical and streaming is only a matter of time since there is money to be made by studio's without having to share with cinema's.
I see it as a good change for consumers to have options on how they want to see a movie or tv show so i say bring on straight to streaming and i will still support physical discs as well !! :)

Great stuff as always!
however! Could Steve stand a bit closer to the mic.....? Listened to the audio version and found his sound balance very low and tricky to hear. Constantly cranking the Volume up and down in the car.
thanks

Only just back from a working week (Yeah!). Thanks for all the Content. Hope Tom's cold clears up soon.

Phil, in addition to the other reasons, might the change to Wednesday have anything to do with the NFL season starting last week?

Phil, in addition to the other reasons, might the change to Wednesday have anything to do with the NFL season starting last week?
No, we always got the podcast done before the main games on Sky on a Sunday, and I tend to use YouTube to watch highlights on a Monday. The main reasons were to get our weekends back and avoid bank holiday weekends meaning there's no podcast.
Thanks for your continued support!

@Phil Hinton

Any chance of Ed discussing his initial thoughts on KEF's new LS50 speakers on the next edition?

Keep up the good work.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom