POLL: Has your OLED TV suffered burn in? (NOTE YOUR VOTE WILL BE PUBLIC)

Has your OLED TV suffered burn in?

• Total voters
Not disagreeing with you, BAMozzy. Just surprised that 130hrs a year is enough to cause PIR. Given when those TVs came out, that's about 390 hours max.

Not disagreeing with you, BAMozzy. Just surprised that 130hrs a year is enough to cause PIR. Given when those TVs came out, that's about 390 hours max.

I based those figures on 30mins a day for 5 days a week BUT some days, it could of been on much longer as GMB is on for 3hours a morning. For all I know, it could be 780hrs a year (3hrs x 5 days x 52wks) and, as we don't have their accurate viewing figures, I used their '30mins' to illustrate how just 30mins a day can add up to hundreds of hours over a few years.

That wear could be over a thousand hours of viewing to reach that point. Also as we don't also know how bright they have their TV, it could be much fewer equivalent hours of use because they had their TV brightness turned up so caused more wear per 'hour'.

The numbers I mentioned were purely to illustrate how '30mins' per day adds up over the course of a few years and not meant to say that wear is indicative of 130hrs a yr over 3yrs should look. The point was also to say that wear is NOT the result of just 1 30mins viewing.

Two factors seem to be at play here, the colour of a logo and the brightness of your TV. A Logo that uses Red, as red seems to fade fastest (so includes Yellow) and setting your TV up brighter are most likely to cause fading to become noticeable sooner.

Agreed on red and brightness. I have mine set to an OLED light of 30, which has been fine for all our viewing, even in daylight.

I also endeavour to avoid anything other than white logos, which my partner hates as some of her favourite channels (H2 and Crime + Investigation) both have red dogs.

Two factors seem to be at play here, the colour of a logo and the brightness of your TV. A Logo that uses Red, as red seems to fade fastest (so includes Yellow) and setting your TV up brighter are most likely to cause fading to become noticeable sooner.
Apparently LG improved that somewhat by adding more "red" OLED material to the models starting 2018 or so.

In my case the "burn-in" on my LG OLED was caused by using "Teletext" to read news which is a standard feature of the TV (there's even a dedicated button on the remote for that). Once I noticed that I switched to some morning show which had a yellow banner. Having the OLED light reduced to 60 didn't prevent it from getting burned in.

Oled light at 60 is still quite high - 40 or below is recommended for SDR content.

Appreciate that brightness is a choice mind.

My E57N has the dreaded good morning Britain logo visible.
It is currently at lg just now for a panel replacement, costing me £200 although i have had a chat with Tom from richer sounds and will discuss further when hear back from lg.
I checked their track repair site yesterday and it was showing completed which seeing as how they only took TV on Wednesday, i thought was amazing. Phones them to worry this and was told the site doesn't update properly, the completed just means my request for repair logging is complete. Inspires confidence, not.
Anyway asked if he could confirm it was definitely being repaired as i had read there were no E7 panels. He said he could see stock of 8 being held so it should be replaced ok.
My opinion on OLED is that you are enjoying a TV for general viewing, nowhere in their big advertising campaigns does it state, p.s. don't watch news channel or good morning Britain etc. Yes all of us on this forum now know too well about burn in/led degradation but the average consumer does not and to be honest shouldn't have to. They are buying a product that it turns out it's not suitable for them and they should be made aware of that when purchasing, not being told after the event that they have misused their TV.
I had 2 plasmas before this and had no issues yet they were renowned for burn in. It was probably the biggest factor that held them back.
To me OLED is not suitable for the wider market. The fact that John Lewis now offer burn in insurance to me is further evidence.

Yes my 55E6 OLED has now got burn in. Did Richer sounds tell you to speak to lg directly?

Yes my 55E6 OLED h in. Did Richer sounds tell you to speak to lg directly?
Yes they did. Worst of it is, LG guy on the phone accepted there seemed to be issued with 2016 and 17 models.

Apparently LG improved that somewhat by adding more "red" OLED material to the models starting 2018 or so.

In my case the "burn-in" on my LG OLED was caused by using "Teletext" to read news which is a standard feature of the TV (there's even a dedicated button on the remote for that). Once I noticed that I switched to some morning show which had a yellow banner. Having the OLED light reduced to 60 didn't prevent it from getting burned in.

All I know is that the evidence I have seen, the Red sub-pixels appear to wear 'faster'. This is proven by checking slides. Yellow, a combination of RED and GREEN sub-pixels, has shown to wear the red more than the green, thus leading to issues of 'Burn In'.

Its not just the yellow banner from morning shows, but also yellow 'ticker tape' news feeds - like SkySports News uses. Even though Yellow is using both Red and Green, its the Red sub-pixels, at least it 'was' in all the cases I have seen (Predominantly on Pre-2018 OLEDs in fairness), that 'fade' first.

I don't know if LG have significantly improved the life span of the Sub-pixels in recent years and by how much. The point is though that 'each' sub-pixel has a certain number of 'hours' of use and will gradually fade with use. The brighter each sub-pixel is on, the 'faster' it fades too. This causes 'uneven' wear. Fixed items (Logos, banners, boxes, ticker tape news strips etc) are often 1 (Red, Blue, Green) or 2 colours (Yellow, Cyan, Magenta) and often 'bright'. An OLED only changes the colour of the pixel when it has too so a fixed item will mean that the sub-pixel is on constantly and 'bright' for the entire time its on screen. You watch an hour of GMB, where the Logo is, the Red sub-pixel is on constantly - compared to the rest of the image that is in motion where red may not even be on for periods of time and even if it is, its not on 'brightly' so barely using any 'life'.

Its inevitable that uneven wear will occur. Its almost impossible to prevent it with this type of display. Even a MicroLED TV could have 'uneven' wear - although would be incredibly difficult to spot - at least not until near the 'end' of its life when certain MicroLEDs fail. If they ALL had exactly the same life span and you watched a LOT of CNN for example, the red MicroLEDs would 'fail' in the shape of the CNN logo first because they have been 'used' a LOT more. The difference is that MicroLEDs don't fade much, if at all so you probably wouldn't know until they 'fail'.

I had 2 plasmas before this and had no issues yet they were renowned for burn in. It was probably the biggest factor that held them back.

Plasmas also work very differently. They 'pulse' many times a second and flash a mix of colours, that our brain composites into a full colour image. A Plasma cannot show the 'full' image for the duration of a frame - it cannot show the full image at full brightness. A red logo for example does not stay on the screen for the full time its displayed, you will get many, many pulses. An OLED though will keep the Red sub-pixel illuminated for the entire time.

I know this is about 3D on a Plasma, but this video also shows how a Plasma screen works and, when slowed right down, you can see the 'pulses' that combine to make a 'whole' image. I have time-stamped the point at which he starts talking specifically about how Plasma's work.

No doubt this 'helped' with the issue of burn in.

Thought I had some pixel degradation in my C8 last night from the yellow search icon in the YouTube app. Over 95% of my viewing is YouTube so I’ve been half expecting it over the years.

Ran a pixel refresher this morning and it has gone, much to my relief.

I have had my 2019 model Panasonic 65" GZ950 new since June 2020 and now on over 5300hrs it is on about 12hrs a day and mixed viewing but no gaming. No sign of any burn in thankfully and I do watch a few hours of BBC News 24 most days. :smashin:

I've recently replaced my 2016 C6 with the 2021 C1, sad to say bye to 3D, but I haven't used it for a while and the benefits of the C1 outweigh the fun of 3D.

No screen burn for me, but there were vertical lines appearing, most noticeably when the camera would pan left or right over areas of the same colour. I'm going to sell it, just not sure how yet.

Just checking in here and can report that my 65" 2018 E8 OLED with 8700 hrs on it is still running perfectly , with no signs whatsover of any burn in.

Been playing FH4 on it quite a lot and watching Fox sports as well.

The only thing I do is keep the OLED back panel light down a bit when watching dodgy content as we watch in a darkish room.

Agreed on red and brightness. I have mine set to an OLED light of 30, which has been fine for all our viewing, even in daylight.

I also endeavour to avoid anything other than white logos, which my partner hates as some of her favourite channels (H2 and Crime + Investigation) both have red dogs.

Mines set on 32-35 for most content and it looks bright enough in our room The logos havn't been an issue yet but I push them around a bit with the zoom feature.

I have had my 2019 model Panasonic 65" GZ950 new since June 2020 and now on over 5300hrs it is on about 12hrs a day and mixed viewing but no gaming. No sign of any burn in thankfully and I do watch a few hours of BBC News 24 most days. :smashin:
I know this might be a tad controversial but if you're admitting to watching a few hours of BBC News 24 on a daily basis I would argue you deserve for your telly to be at the receiving end of some summary justice, just putting it out there.

Cheeky bugger, no one should wish anything like that on anyone, for your info I am quite aware of what can induce burn in but it will not stop me watching an hour or so each day of news 24.

I don't game which is by far the worst culprit, I do watch general tv including netflix and prime and some blurays which also have constant logo's displayed there is no real way of avoiding it if you wish to watch almost anything these days so please don't preach.

Cheeky bugger, no one should wish anything like that on anyone, for your info I am quite aware of what can induce burn in but it will not stop me watching an hour or so each day of news 24.

I don't game which is by far the worst culprit, I do watch general tv including netflix and prime and some blurays which also have constant logo's displayed there is no real way of avoiding it if you wish to watch almost anything these days so please don't preach.

Well I wasn't actually wishing anything on anyone, @BillRawles knew exactly what I was getting at due to me being rather out loud & proud in my dislike for dear old auntie so please don't think me that cruel to be saying that personally.

For what it's worth we've had a 55" C9 in our bedroom for about 18 months now, with a Sky mini box up there too. The overwhelming majority of the time we got the various Sky Sports channels on, Sky News and a bit of gaming thrown in too so plenty of static images going on but no issues thus far touch wood.

We also upgraded from a 65" Q9FN to a 65" CX in the last couple of months but needless to say it's way too early to have noticed anything on that as of yet.

It seems to me the more you vary your usage/viewing the less likely you are to have negative experiences although there's also bound to be a very small degree of luck thrown in too.

which also have constant logo's displayed there is no real way of avoiding it if you wish to watch almost anything these days so please don't preach.
I agree. Everything on TV nowadays has a constant, bright static channel logo. Over 15 million OLED owners watch there TVs with bright static channel logos on their OLED TVs all the time.

There are a few 2016 and 2017 OLED owners who are carrying around anger and rage because their 2017 or older OLED TVs experienced burn in. This is a terrible way to live.

It took LG a little time to improve their manufacturing quality. In 2018 LG fine tuned their manufacturing process so the panel consistency was much better; no more panel lottery with respect to burn in.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity do you have a source saying that 15 million OLED TVs got sold? The only number I could find is 10.32 million OLED TVs from 2013 to 2020.
September 2020 10.3 units + 7 million units per year (as the article below confirms) X 1 year = approximately 17.3 million units

15 million was just a conservative ballpark figure. With Covid 19 and everybody sitting home OLED TV sales were 7 million per year.

From this article "

The latest OLED TV news:

LG Display reports a positive Q2 2021 on increased OLED panel sales

LG Display posted its financial results for Q2 2021, with revenues up 31% from 2020 to $6 billion and a profit of around $370 million. This was the company's best quarter in terms of revenues - as it enjoyed high OLED TV and pOLED sales, an increase in LCD panel price and good performance in displays for IT products.
LG Electronics 2021 OLED TV lineup

LG Display says it shipped over 3.5 million OLED TV panels in the first half of 2021, and it is on track to sell 8 million panels within the year. LGD aims to increase its capacity and produce 10 million OLED TV panels in 2022 and 11 million in 2023.

Last edited:
Another lucky punter with GMB burn in. Only noticed it last night watching the football. It's a 55 inch B7, nearly 4 years old. Brightness set to mid 40's which I've now reduced to below 40 but as the room is relatively bright during the day I can't really go any lower. Can't say the consumption of GMB has been in any way excessive, it certainly isn't an every day choice of channel. Haven't tried the full on pixel refresh yet, although it's not long since it last did one so I doubt it will improve matters.
Still think it's a great TV, just a shame about the achilles heel.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom