Portable Music Player which can stream Tidal Hi-Res via WiFi

PJB9000

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

New poster here. I’m after some advice/help please? I subscribe to Tidal Hi-Res (which I stream through my hifi via a Cambridge streamer) and wondered if someone could recommend a portable music player which would allow me to stream Tidal Masters in Hi-Res via WiFi, which I could listen to when in the house/garden/bed etc.

I thought I would find it easy to identify a decent portable music player to do this (I’m not after spending a fortune) but I’m struggling to not only find a player but understand the specs of them. It seems to me that most players aren’t WiFi compatible and/or downloading the Tidal app and getting it to work can be difficult.

I would be using the player primarily for streaming Tidal Hi-Res, but I do intend to download and save Hi-Res music to the player as well.

Any recommendations (put in simplistic terms for this old man to understand) would be very much appreciated. My budget for said player would be up to £400.

Hi,

New poster here. I’m after some advice/help please? I subscribe to Tidal Hi-Res (which I stream through my hifi via a Cambridge streamer) and wondered if someone could recommend a portable music player which would allow me to stream Tidal Masters in Hi-Res via WiFi, which I could listen to when in the house/garden/bed etc.

I thought I would find it easy to identify a decent portable music player to do this (I’m not after spending a fortune) but I’m struggling to not only find a player but understand the specs of them. It seems to me that most players aren’t WiFi compatible and/or downloading the Tidal app and getting it to work can be difficult.

I would be using the player primarily for streaming Tidal Hi-Res, but I do intend to download and save Hi-Res music to the player as well.

Any recommendations (put in simplistic terms for this old man to understand) would be very much appreciated. My budget for said player would be up to £400.
I am not sure there is any..but can I suggest a real alternative. Get a second hand android smartphone .. preferably a premium brand type Say Samsung S7 , or Sony Xperia with usb output and a usb dac ..I suggest Cyrus Soundkey, or one of the Audioquest Dragonflys ,and a copy of Usb Audio pro .from the android playstore. The most expensive of these items is the DAC. The smartphone need only do wifi ,and have the OTG usb capability, which even very old quality phones have. Older units at 100 quid at a CEX in a will be suitable... But we all nowadays have drawers full of them. After that it is easy peasy. The Tidal app will download from the playstore, you sign in and your headphones pick up full high Res. The UAP software will do that MQA unfolding if necessary for the premium Tidal offering. The volume available from a sound key can blow your ears. I rarely go above 20%..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom