Question Position of surround sound speakers in open plan living area

Vic 0681

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

wanted to get some help please on the positioning of my rear speakers on a 5.1 setup in the living room of an open plan layout.

I have the ceiling wall mounts, but am struggling on where to position them in my new open plan extension which is currently under construction.

option 1: position them on the two side pillars either side of the rear sofa. However if the sofa is moved 30cm further back then the rears are on the side/slightly in front of the listening position.

option 2: I place the rears right at the back, behind the dining table and above the bifold doors. Floor distance is approx 3 metres behind the rear sofa. I am not sure if this would be too far for rear speakers and whether they would bleed too much and therefore not get the impact when sitting on the sofas?

Attached is the layout.

thanks

Attachments

• AFEB08FE-708C-4D87-9203-DB8CF3EADBEC.png
    AFEB08FE-708C-4D87-9203-DB8CF3EADBEC.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 368
They should be placed behind and to the side of the sofa, so option 2 is the best option. If you can move the sofa back a little that would be better. The AVR will set the distance and levels, when you calibrate. Having them above the doors is not ideal, as they should be at or just above ear level. Make sure you aim them down towards the MLP.

If you want half decent Surround Sound effects you would have to pull the main sofa forward and build a wall behind it.

Not having a wall means a big compromise wherever you place the Surround speakers.

Having the two side sofas also means far from ideal surround sound for anyone in those seats.

My guess would be move the Sofas towards the screen a little and mount the Surround speakers on the side columns - possibly aiming them slightly towards the front of the room is your best option.

Alternatively stick with a 2.0 system and if your Amp has Zone 2 speaker outs use the Surrounds as a second zone to cover the dining or kitchen area.

Joe

I dont have a wall behind my seating position and it sounds fine.

i would go with option 1.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom