Power amp

Jesus Christ it can be like a playground on here.
Thanks for al the input.

I use every day as home cinema. All monitor audio. GR20s front. A silver c350 centre and radius rear.
Obviously you want it loud for a movie so it needs power.
I also want to listen to music. Via my turntable and CD player.
I need to be able to process 4k, so I am coming from a pioneer sc lx 86. To whatever I get next.
my budget can be flexible, but I’d like to stay between 600-800 pounds for both a AV amp and power.

I'm afraid to say that your budget is going to be a limiting factor here.

If you want to improve the sound quality for listening to 2 channel music, you would be better off getting a stereo integrated amp rather than a power amp, and cutting out the AVR altogether when listening to music.

You may also need to decide which is more important in order to prioritise how to spend your budget.

Can you live without 4k / HDR pasthrough on the AVR, by connecting the 4k video sources direct to the TV? If so, keep your current AVR for now.

You can add a stereo integrated amp to your system, either via the front left and right pre-outs of your AVR, in which case a stereo amp with HT bypass would be ideal. Or you can use a speaker / amp switch and share your speakers between two amps.

The first option - using the pre outs, has the advantage of also adding more power to the system when using the AVR for movies etc.

I thought about the two amps, but im not sure
I can get away with it.
I’m not looking for new stuff, happy to go off eBay.
Example this is for sale - Rotel rb895 mk2 at 275
Or a Raksan Caspian 5 or a k2. Are none of these any good?

Okay, I've had rubbish luck with buying used electronics, so I don't do that anymore.

Those amps seem to be two five channel power amps and one stereo integrated amp?

Yup. Would they not do the job? So get a 4K amp that’s decent then power with one of the above? Or am I miles off?
I’ve been told about these berhinger ones a few times, they no good?

No, you're not miles off, but I think we need to clarify what you are hoping to achieve.

Do you want music to sound better at all volumes? In which case get a stereo integrated amp.

Do you want everything to sound better at higher volumes? In which case get a power amp.

Also, depending on which AVR you get to replace your current one, could affect the answers to those two questions.

I want my music to sound better - mainly low volumes but again it’s nice to have both options.

I was just reading what hifi, and you can use interstated amps if they have a av bi pass.
I’d rather just get the power amp, and something like a Denon avr4500. But if I can get more sound from a intergrsted amp I will do that.

If you want music to sound better, even at low volumes, then adding a power amp to an AVR will not achieve that.

A stereo integrated amp is the way to go. You can connect any stereo amp to the pre-outs of an AVR but one with HT bypass is easier to use in that way.

The Cyrus One and Musical Fidelity amplifiers are entry level HT bypass amps.

I employ my A800 powering front left and right in my system - no noticeable difference in SQ with movies or music compare to my old Audiolab 8000X7 - will purchase another one as soon as funds allow to resurrect my centre speaker. My concern is - will a speaker upgrade (thinking MA Gold for the front three) show the Behringers up?

I employ my A800 powering front left and right in my system - no noticeable difference in SQ with movies or music compare to my old Audiolab 8000X7 - will purchase another one as soon as funds allow to resurrect my centre speaker. My concern is - will a speaker upgrade (thinking MA Gold for the front three) show the Behringers up?
That's good. Did your Audiolab break?

The Behringer should be fine with any speakers as it just amplifies the input signal and doesn't introduce any audible noise, as long as you use it within it's capabilities. That means, don't be a lunatic with the volume dial. Although you will probably destroy your ears before you destroy the electronics!

Jesus Christ it can be like a playground on here.
Thanks for al the input.

I use every day as home cinema. All monitor audio. GR20s front. A silver c350 centre and radius rear.
Obviously you want it loud for a movie so it needs power.
I also want to listen to music. Via my turntable and CD player.
I need to be able to process 4k, so I am coming from a pioneer sc lx 86. To whatever I get next.
my budget can be flexible, but I’d like to stay between 600-800 pounds for both a AV amp and power.

I am/was in the same situation. I have the Denon X4500 and I want MORE POWA!

I looked at the Emotiva but was recommended to look at older Rotels instead since they suit my Bowers speakers better.

I just ordered THREE Rotel stereo power amps for about 900 EURO total including shipping.
I will use them in bridge mode (mono) and power my fronts with 180 watts each (8ohm) and the center will get 150 watts.

The models are called:
1 of the "Rotel RB-850 Power Amplifier" (for my center)
2 of the "Rotel RB-970BX Power Amplifier" (for my two fronts)

Hi Rambles - yes re the 8000X7- the protection circuits kept kicking in and I couldn't get it to work in any configuration, so rather than send it off to Audiolab for repair (without the original box or packaging), I thought I'd investigate Behringer. It's a shame they don't make a competitively priced multi channel power amp as I fell that this would be a decent seller. Got fed up with the very audible mains thump the Audiolab kept producing, so it was maybe a blessing - maybe I'll use it as a doorstop lol.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom