Power leads query

Ming The Merciless

Novice Member
Hello. I've not posted here before and I'm not very good with technical terms, so please bear with me! I have a problem and will be grateful for some advice.

Recently I moved out of my flat for a while, to allow it to be refurbished. On return I was horrified to find out that most things had been thrown out, including the speaker cables for my hi-fi (I've no idea why). I've now replaced the speaker cables but there's another problem.

My system is 27 years old, so things may be different now. Each of the components - CD player, turntable, cassette player - has two leads. One is connected to the amplifier and presumably conveys sound. The other lead is connected to an extension block, which in turn has a power lead to the wall socket.

The original extension block was also thrown out by the refurbishers. I have bought a new one but the power leads will not fit into it, because they have a bit of plastic sticking out next to the plug. The attached photo may explain what I mean.

I've looked at online catalogues but cannot find any extension block that would fit these plugs. What can I do about this? I'll be grateful for any any bright ideas you have.

Attachments

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I'm sure I also remember those from years ago as I had them in my bedroom. It was a very compact mains extension where you had to remove the ordinary UK plugs and attach the unusual plug connection which looks like a kettle plug in reverse. This then plugged into a six way socket gang. If I'm right, all you'll need to do is use a Philips screwdriver to unscrew the plug and refit an ordinary UK plug. In fact if I remember properly, they were from Tandy

Ming The Merciless

Novice Member
Thanks for your suggestions. I can't remove the leads from the CD player and other components as they're fixed, so it looks as though I'll have to remove the plugs and fit new ones.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: New TVs, Samsung Q800T Soundbar review, IFA latest, Movie and AV News, B+W Brad Pitt
Top Bottom