Question Power on smart plugs when TV is turned on?

michael1189

Established Member
Reaction score
hi,

I have 3 amazon smart plugs and an LG 65c8 which is found as a smart device in the alexa app.

Im wondering if there's some kind of if this then that , that when the TV turns on, the smart plugs also turn on.

Id love to be able to turn power on to my amps, receiver and subwoofers when i turn the TV on, and the reverse then turning off

IFTTT doesnt have the capability by the looks of it.

I have just installed four of these to automatically turn power on and off to my home cinema
if your TV can be turned on and off by Alexa they should work fine and they also use IFTTT
its also cheaper when you buy 2

If not you could use the Logitech Harmony Hub, which will control your TV and AVR then use the smart plugs for any individual amps. The hub will integrate with Alexa so you could say 'Alexa Cinema on' and she will power everything on. Throw some smart lighting in there and she could also dim your lighting.

if everything is IR cheaper a alternative would be one of these I use it to turn on my old non smart Sony TV
so you could have Alexa turn on the BG smart sockets and then use this to automatically turn on everything else that uses IR

There is an alexa skill to turn tv off and on but when i look at the tv in the alexa devices, it doesnt give any options to do that and its not available in routines either.

Only my ring cameras and hue motion sensors are available in there.

There is an alexa skill to turn tv off and on but when i look at the tv in the alexa devices, it doesnt give any options to do that and its not available in routines either.

Only my ring cameras and hue motion sensors are available in there.
yeah but its up to you to configure the routine its not done automatically
so basically you should add the LG skill and link your LG account details that should in theory let you control the TV On and Off you would need to try other features like changing channels
get that working then look at sockets

Ive done that and the voice command works but theres nothing in the app under the tv device unfortunately

I might start from scratch and see if anything changes

Ive done that and the voice command works but theres nothing in the app under the tv device unfortunately

I might start from scratch and see if anything changes
well I am slightly confused
if the voice command works and turns on your TV that should be all you need
you would only need to have a routine for those BG sockets with the command being "TV On" (or whatever you want to call it) and the sockets will turn on providing power to the equipment that is plugged into them
isn't that what you asked for in the OP?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom