Answered Pre-out / Line level outputs only - no power amps

WiffyWoofer

Novice Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a slim / compact AV processor that is pre-amp outputs only?

I seem to be struggling to find anything that ticks all the boxes. It needs to have the usual inputs and features, but no power amps, and half the size (at least) of the standard breeze blocks out there.

The closest thing I can find is the Marantz NR1609. It ticks the size and features boxes, but it only has front and sub line outs.

All of my speakers are active and I have no desire to replace them with passive speakers.

I've been making do with a Yamaha RXV777 for a few years, which has line outs for all channels, but it no longer fits in with my future plans. There isn't anywhere I can hide it out of site either, so downsizing is the preferred option.

In an age of compact lifestyle electronics like Sonos, AppleTV and paper thin TVs, why do we still need massive metal boxes to decode digital audio? It seems Marantz, Pioneer and Yamaha are the only mainstream brands breaking away from the that trend, but none of them have everything I need unfortunately.

Any suggestions?

There are processors on the market and most of the manufacturers make one or more, but they tend to be the same height as you'd expect from a full blown integrated AV receiver.

Despite you suggesting otherwise., neither Marantz, Yamaha or Pioneer make slimline processors and I think you are confusing a processor with an integrated AV receiver? Yes, they make slimline integrated AV receiver's, but their build limits them and they are less well equipped than the full sized alternatives.

Pre amp processors are usually more commonly used in conjunction with higher end setups where the owner would want the additional inputs and output options that cause higher tier products to be invariably larger than the slimline integrated receivers you mention.

This is the only AV pre amp processor Yamaha make:
Yamaha - UK and Ireland | CX-A5200

likewise, Marantz only make full sized pre amp processors:
Marantz UK | AV8805

Marantz UK | AV7705

The fact that pre amp processors require pre outs on their rear means that they'd invariably need to be large enough to accomodatte these pre outs. The fact that most manufacturer only make a limited variety of pre amp processors also means that they invariably include as manuy input and output options as possible on their pre amp processors which again determines theie resulting size.

Last edited:
There are processors on the market and most of the manufacturers make one or more, but they tend to be the same height as you'd expect from a full blown integrated AV receiver.

Despite you suggesting otherwise., neither Marantz, Yamaha or Pioneer make slimline processors and I think you are confusing a processor with an integrated AV receiver? Yes, they make slimline integrated AV receiver's, but their build limits them and they are less well equipped than the full sized alternatives.

Pre amp processors are usually more commonly used in conjunction with higher end setups where the owner would want the additional inputs and output options that cause higher tier products to be invariably larger than the slimline integrated receivers you mention.

This is the only AV pre amp processor Yamaha make:
Yamaha - UK and Ireland | CX-A5200

likewise, Marantz only make full sized pre amp processors:
Marantz UK | AV8805

Marantz UK | AV7705

The fact that pre amp processors require pre outs on their rear means that they'd invariably need to be large enough to accomodatte these pre outs. The fact that most manufacturer only make a limited variety of pre amp processors also means that they invariably include as manuy input and output options as possible on their pre amp processors which again determines theie resulting size.

Yes you're right, my terminology was off.

It's just a processor I need as I don't care about radio reception or vinyl.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom