Predicted A level grades.

Did you miss the it where the predicted grades are a mass fabrication on a grand scale?
They’re really not. There are inconsistencies, as you’d expect when a teacher has to make a huge number of predictions for a huge number of children.

‘Mass frabrication?’ I think you’re letting that chip on your shoulder control your thinking on this.

This is by far the least unsatisfying outcome for ALL parties. There are literally no losers in this.

They’re really not. There are inconsistencies, as you’d expect when a teacher has to make a huge number of predictions for a huge number of children.

‘Mass frabrication?’ I think you’re letting that chip on your shoulder control your thinking on this.

Chip on my shoulder?

Here's the evidence:

16% accuracy.
75% overestimated.
9% underestimated.

And the evidence that we have seen is that grade inflation would be massive this year (40%+) based on estimated grades, so extremely likely to be even more inaccurate than normal.

Not sure what else you'd call it other than a mass fabrication, deliberate or otherwise? Certainly seems deliberate this year.

This is by far the least unsatifying outcome for ALL parties. There are literally no losers in this.

There literally are, as explained already.

Fantastic news for all those students who went to schools that lied through their teeth and invented fantastic grades.

A friend of the family is absolutely delighted. She was lazy, didn’t pay attention, put zero effort in and performed poorly throughout the whole two years. She never achieved higher than a C in any piece of class work, homework or class tests. In her AS exams last year she got DEE. And in mock this year she got DEU. But now thanks to her teacher and college lying through their teeth she has been awarded ABB.

Cheers,

Nigel

It would appear that the algorithm wasnt too great in many peoples eyes.and blaming teachers is a bit low.these are not normal times and i think kicking these kids while they are down is not right.give them something to be optimistic about.

Chip on my shoulder?

Here's the evidence:

16% accuracy.
75% overestimated.
9% underestimated.

And the evidence that we have seen is that grade inflation would be massive this year (40%+) based on estimated grades, so extremely likely to be even more inaccurate than normal.

Not sure what else you'd call it other than a mass fabrication, deliberate or otherwise? Certainly seems deliberate this year.

There literally are, as explained already.

Well I’m bowing out.

The Government, opposition, the SNP, teaching unions, Teachers, students, parents and almost everyone on here - execept you - are all in agreement. And most importantly, I’m happy with the outcome. So until next time, enjoy your Monday.

It would appear that the algorithm wasnt too great in many peoples eyes.and blaming teachers is a bit low.these are not normal times and i think kicking these kids while they are down is not right.give them something to be optimistic about.

Teachers aren't to blame for the algorithm but they are to blame for massively over inflating the predicted grades even more than normal.

At least we now have the most intelligent year of students in history by a long way - the proportion of A and A* grades increased by 40% on last year.

Cheers,

Nigel

Fantastic news for all those students who went to schools that lied through their teeth and invented fantastic grades.

A friend of the family is absolutely delighted. She was lazy, didn’t pay attention, put zero effort in and performed poorly throughout the whole two years. She never achieved higher than a C in any piece of class work, homework or class tests. In her AS exams last year she got DEE. And in mock this year she got DEU. But now thanks to her teacher and college lying through their teeth she has been awarded ABB.

Cheers,

Nigel
And she will crash and burn year one or be inspired and change for the better.

It was always going to be a case of winner and losers. There are probably more losers now then there were before.

I can cite actual examples so don’t say I’m speculating. At schools where grading was done properly, a student likely to get a B has been awarded a B. While at schools that tried it on, a student likely to get a D has be awarded an A.

Cheers,

Nigel

Well I’m bowing out.

The Government, opposition, the SNP, teaching unions, Teachers, students, parents and almost everyone on here - execept you - are all in agreement. And most importantly, I’m happy with the outcome. So until next time, enjoy your Monday.

No, they are in agreement on the (political) decision. It may be the only practical decision in the time available, however flawed.

But not sure why you are still pretending that the teachers' assessments themselves are not massively flawed?

At least we now have the most intelligent year of students in history by a long way - the proportion of A and A* grades increased by 40% on last year.

Cheers,

Nigel

We all know GCSE/A levels mean little in higher education other than getting entry to uni.

I've never had any emphasis on these during my engineering career, just HNC/HND/Degree and proffesional course results.

Interview is key to getting a job. If some as AAA but then obvious numpty in interview they don't get job.

She absolutely will. She stuck with her choice not because of the university and course reputation but because it is in a city centre so the social life will be fab. She is a CDD student at best and she will be amongst students with genuine straight A and A* grades. I hope I’m wrong but if forced to bet she won’t make it past the first year.

Cheers,

Nigel

Cheers,

Nigel

Remember there are no losers!
:D

Couple days now for opposition MP's to milk the issue before it dies away and next issue to try and ridicule government about next thing that pops up. Same old.

Couple days now for opposition MP's to milk the issue before it dies away and next issue to try and ridicule government about next thing that pops up. Same old.

Which would be GCSEs on Thursday - presumably the government are just going come out straight away with predicted grades.

Cheers,

Nigel

Which would be GCSEs on Thursday - presumably the government are just going come out straight away with predicted grades.

Cheers,

Nigel

So are you predicting 50% Grade inflation for GCSEs?
:D

I think the Government has made the right decision. My view is given the lack of exams, kids have to be given the benefit of doubt and opportunity to succeed if they prove up to it. No doubt many who maybe should have got lower grades will struggle at Uni but that is where they will be rooted out.

The u-turn was farcical politcally but the Scots had it a couple of weeks ago.

Expect predicted grades announcement soon as per Wales & NI.

Give them benefit of doubt. If useless will drop out of Uni or loose any job anyway.

Not like a lot of jobs available anytime soon so get them in uni to enable further improvement.
The memory of GCSEs and A Levels grades will fade once the degree is achieved

A lot of debt to take on though, which can only be paid back with a job or career after the degree

True story: I know someone who achieved the three peat: failed first year three times. Their identity shall remain anonymous. This was a while ago, during £3k per annum fees

:)

The memory of GCSEs and A Levels grades will fade once the degree is achieved

A lot of debt to take on though, which can only be paid back with a job or career after the degree

True story: I know someone who achieved the three peat: failed first year three times. Their identity shall remain anonymous. This was a while ago, during £3k per annum fees

:)

If at first you don't succeed try, try, try again (until funds run out anyway). :smashin:

I was lucky to be in a time when further education in all of UK was free.

If at first you don't succeed try, try, try again (until funds run out anyway). :smashin:

I was lucky to be in a time when further education in all of UK was free.
You're so right, like you I was lucky in comparison to student finances today.
Grant paid, housing paid, I could even claim for bus fares!

the Scottish government did not do a u turn. they made a mistake, admitted to it and rectified it like the first class government they are.
And now, Boris did the same. Not a U turn, they made a mistake, admitted to it and rectified it like the first class government they are.

(even for me that would be hard to swallow:rotfl: )

I love hearing the story about this student for the 10th* time :)

*40% inflation added...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom