Premium 2K - Toshiba think there’s still a strong market for Full HD TVs - interview discussion

For me OLED is the way forward in any content above 1k.so i would wait for OLED to be well research and cheaper to give that sharp contrast.

Now they're trying to call HD 2K.... I wish they would just stick to HD and Ultra HD.

Like every other manufacturer, they seem desperate to convince us that LCD is improving, and may one day rival plasma, or even OLED!

Good interview and a nice change for such a open interview from a major company.

These L7453 TVs could be something special as, when Toshiba gets it right, it's great and IPS (which it appears to be) plus fall array local dimming is the perfect combo.

When will AVF be getting any for review?

The 4K versions of Toshiba's full array with local dimming sets sound interesting. I think they're already on sale in Japan, but there doesn't seem to be any word of European models yet.

Good interview and a nice change for such a open interview from a major company.

These L7453 TVs could be something special as, when Toshiba gets it right, it's great and IPS (which it appears to be) plus fall array local dimming is the perfect combo.

When will AVF be getting any for review?
Prices are great. So I think toshiba may have got it spot on with price. I hope it is something special too.
Only £1099.99
http://m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.john..._jtt_v_from_product=un_product_1#page_loaded

I would be interested in when, if at all, the L9400 is coming to the UK.

"Premium 2k" sounds like a clever solution to the problem of what to do to sell screens below 55". You can't really make them 4k, so they can't benefit from the sales kick that being "4k" gives the big screens.
So keep some of the (actually quite worthwhile) improvements to LCD technology introduced with 4k sets and give it a name/promotion in its own right.

A lot of these improvements (wide colour gamut, full-array backlight, extended contrast) seem to be a reaction to the stalled progress on OLED (apart from LG.) Suddenly a bit more effort is going back into improving LCD technology again.

(Someone in another thread was talking about 4k-lite screens which apparently LG/Samsung are experimenting with in China, which are half-way between 2k and 4k using a pentile-like approach. That might also be a way to bump up the 40-55" sized screens into a higher price bracket in the future.)

Just more marketing guff really.

Highend 1080p screens are now premium 2K.

At least with a full backlight array instead of edge LEDs then it should cut down banding, clouding and light bleed?

Sounds like after years of issues LED LCD might be getting its act together.

Bit late though, 4K is here now lol.

I think the jury is well and truly out - how can Toshiba now knock out premium FALD 1080p TV's at a bargain basement price?? Have Samsung, Sony, Panasonic and LG left that avenue open or is most of it just marketing myth.

As others have said 4K is here to stay and as previous generations have always shown no matter the relative merits and viewing distance charts - resolution gain will always win in the end with the buying public.

Using google translate, the review reads pretty well, and looking at the pictures, they seem to have done a thorough job

4K or 2K it's still the same basic technology, so the arrival of 4K doesn't make improvements to the picture quality of full HD LCD invalid. Hopefully the two resolutions will benefit each other long term. For example, the picture processing improvements needed to move 4K pixels around a screen should soon filter down to full HD. It's also in the best interests of those manufacturers with no investment in OLED to prove to the rest of us that the technology isn't needed. To do that they have to address black levels, viewing angles, etc, all the OLED USPs, and attention in these areas is surely a welcome development.

I think the jury is well and truly out - how can Toshiba now knock out premium FALD 1080p TV's at a bargain basement price?? Have Samsung, Sony, Panasonic and LG left that avenue open or is most of it just marketing myth.

FALD seems to be returning with the X950/AX900 as a really expensive option. But, IIRC, it was not always so expensive. And, really, I am not sure what it is about FALD that would make it super expensive. It's only a bunch of LEDs. They're not made of diamonds as far as I know.

FALD seems to be returning with the X950/AX900 as a really expensive option. But, IIRC, it was not always so expensive. And, really, I am not sure what it is about FALD that would make it super expensive. It's only a bunch of LEDs. They're not made of diamonds as far as I know.
They are not made of diamonds, but it's that thing called profit..... You can't really blame them as long as the TV's sell.

Exactly ,profit margins dictate the use of technology. When your competitors start selling something cheaper to the masses by downgrading their spec what do you do as a company ?
Goes back to the old VHS Betamax days ,Betamax was the better product but sony and Sanyo stood alone and where's Sanyo these days

I would love to know how much it costs to implement a full array local dimming system. Surely it would fairly minimal, as has been stated previously, 'its only a bunch of LED's' ?

I would imagine the software controlling the system takes a bit of work to get right, but once its done can be replicated across different models.

What I do find odd is that neither the John Lewis or Toshiba sites mention the FALD system (unless I missed it). Surely they should be shouting from the rooftops about this feature as it can make such a difference.

Can get the 42L7453 from Toshiba for £450....tempting, very tempting....

Have just found this Polish HDTV site that have reviewed the 55" version, and they pretty much say its the mutts...

Toshiba 55 L7453 - test tv lcd. Model CEVO ze strefowym pod¶wietleniem led - czyli uczta dla oczu. - HDforum

not sure how well this this translated, not being an av expert, but this is what they say are the Pros & Cons...

Pros:
Sensational sound
Equal's backlight
Award-winning Design - reddot awards
Modern design
Sensationally Low Input Lag - Hello Master!
Good multimedia capabilities
Simple and fast configuration of Internet
Very good color saturation
Excellent scaling SD!
Very good sharpness
Excellent liquidity: vertical, oblique and lateral.
Open browser
Recording on hard drive with USB
Wifi Miracast
Very good cooperation with external applications
It works with a keyboard and mouse
Applications for mobile devices
Very good black structural

Cons:
Image calibration required.
No rotating stand.
Lateral angles not master
Lock vibration amplitudes at long
The remote is not sensational

Input lag looks amazing for gaming...I think they recorded 7.8ms average

Last edited:
Hoping my local JL has one in stock over the weekend so I can have a look, seems like a very good deal, and the Polish review appeared to be very thorough.

I don't think many are stocking it ,when I was in store yesterday they had 20 in their distribution centre

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom