Preview: Bristol Sound & Vision Show 2018 - article discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may well give this year's show a miss due to the lack of the vision element, albeit it would be fun to ask a few well aimed questions in the Sony room. I would also like to see a few realistic demos of Dolby Atmos setups and not ones that involve erecting scaffolding in the demo room! I will wait for everyone's show reports before making my mind up on Saturday evening. The KEF LS50s were the high point for me last year.

Already decided that this year won't be happening for me either, primarily due to the lack of 'vision'.
Not that the drive all the way to the 'nicely central for the UK' Bristol helps either - got fed up of writing 'Bring back Manchester Show' every year on the feedback cards at the entrance!

Sorry to say I won’t be going this year either (have gone for the previous eight years). Agree with the others about renaming it the Sound Show. There has been almost zero vision on show. JVC being pretty much the only exception.

No Denon?

I went two years ago to be very disapointed, and i have no interest in going again. Like others say no vision...

Why dont the vision manufacturers realize this is an opportunity in the uk to show their forthcoming products, at a much lower cost than other events.
The thought of an event on home cinema catering for all budgets, and showing the latest vision products would be many of our yearly events.

Sadly the show has been on the decline for a number of years now. I used to look forward to it every year and normally would turn it into a real proper trip out and treat by booking myself into a nice hotel just up the road. Not this year i'm afraid. Quite sad that there's not more vision content ( there never used to be an awful lot before ) as that was always my interest over sound.

Went once 3 years ago. Saw some good JVC projectors and some Tannoy speakers.
Nothing would hold.my interest now.

What the hell is a 4k projection screen?
another way to try to rinse you of cash, this is the poorest line up i have seen, the sound show mainly,very little vision and another its gone up again hasnt it

AV Techsolutions are running a multi channel dem of ATC speakers, ATI digital amps plus JL Audio Gotham sub, that’s one surround sound set I wouldn’t mind hearing!

I'm in two minds. The ticket price is nothing compared to the fuel to get there and back (over £50). There are some things I'm interested in, but maybe not that much right now. Mmm...

I'm in two minds. The ticket price is nothing compared to the fuel to get there and back (over £50). There are some things I'm interested in, but maybe not that much right now. Mmm...
If it was in the summer you could make a weekend of it. Not much to do around Bristol for me in February

Yeah some nice roads to ride around, and could certainly find an interesting route there and back, but then there's the ball ache of carrying around all the bike gear all day, and some of those rooms get really hot. I'm sure people wouldn't take too kindly to all the rustling from my leathers whilst listening to fine HiFi either!

I won’t be attending, not enough vision

Went two years back to see a terribly configured and disgusting Epson Projector Image. Since then no new "Vision" elements.

Seriously thinking of contacting Trade Descriptions and demanding it be renamed "Sound & Sound Show"!

i think this thread should be shown to the organisers, get their act together or attendances will fall off dramatically

I would really like to go to this show to compare all the latest projectors from the different manufacturers and while I would be interested to see the Optoma UZD 65 in action, I would like to be able to compare it to other makes and models. This continuing lack of the vision element makes it impossible to justify a 250 mile round trip.

i think this thread should be shown to the organisers, get their act together or attendances will fall off dramatically
I agree but we all moaned on last year's thread about the show. A fall in attendances will hopefully lead to a review of the show by organisers.

i have forwarded it to them so hopefully they will take note,without punters there is no show,only way to show our displeasure at the show is to stay away and hit them in the pocket

Yeah but then we might just end up with no shows at all.
How do the shows get arranged? Do the Manufacturers pay to exhibit or are they paid to show up?
Maybe it's just that I've been spoilt by actually being able to buy these products and I know it's a while ago now but I remember going to the Manchester show and seeing the displays using clips from films that hadn't yet been released and on products I could only dream of owning even though it was "only" Dolby Digital surround sound and 720 1080i was a pipe dream.
I just can't get excited about Atmos & 4K the same way I did in the early days of playing with AV gear and I know the quality is better than ever.

Well I'm probably more interested in sound than vision myself, going against the masses by the looks of it. Unfortunately this thread seems very unbalanced and as is the nature of these things lacks the positive side of what's on offer. I'd love to go, but it's a fair overall cost to the day when I'm not convinced that it's going to be useful to me this year.

Exhibitors are paying of course, a 4 figure sum in most cases. Don't forget they're hiring out a hotel for at least 5 days over a weekend (including dismantle, set-up, tear-down, reconstruct room). I'm not sure how many rooms there are but say a nice round 100 of which they expect 3/4 to be occupied, that's around £37K.

There's also the chance to 'network' with fellow AV Forums members (and other members of the human race who do exist apparently ;) ) and get plenty of good advice from many sources on setting up your existing kit, including standards and best practices. I also love the chance of getting to hear aspirational equipment, you know, pipe dream stuff; bonkers kit with almost telephone number price tags that not only sound good but have fascinating engineering and design too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom