Preview: Bristol Sound & Vision Show 2018 - article discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
All being well on the day (general health/weather) I will be attending: I need to replace my audio system, and I’m open-minded on what to replace it with. I’m not so interested in the ‘vision’ side.

I have an annual ‘2 Together’ rail card that significantly reduces travel costs to Bristol.

In my youth, I used to frequently visit the excellent audio shows in London and Harrogate. Those were the days! Then, Birmingham to London (return) on a Saturday for just £1. The trains were packed.

I don't think you'll get many vendors whose margins through the supply chain are a little tight.

just to put things into perspective a little, one of my business associates will be showing for i think the 4/5th year, his out lay for this show which includes buying stock in to play video/audio as in a big tv, blu-ray, music streamer, speakers, he’s ok for subs and amps ;), transport, room hire, accommodation hotel and food is around £15K per show.
So it’s quite a big outlay for him to do this every year
You won’t believe what an empty bed room costs for 4 days, it’s ludicrous
I agree with you all, the lack of video is very disappointing for me and a lot of others, and i can see it getting worse before it gets better

The organisation of a show can be hellishly expensive with advertising and promotion which needs to be done well, a smaller scale Home Cinema show in central england could be doable and i can see it being attended especially if entry fee was a fiver just to cover costs

an audio only show is doomed in my opinion so we need to attract the vision guys back again and they’ll need some convincing

Allan

With costs like that and a limited marketing budget I can't imagine shows are very high on the agenda. I could be wrong so please jump in and correct if needed but I would have thought the bulk of income / sales for the video side comes from the general public buying at Currys ect and that the top end Tv or projector sales isn't large enough to warrant the marketing costs for a lower return.
JVC projectors , niche product not available on the high street so target the audience through magazines and shows.
Epson (i'm guessing) make most of their income from office equipment ect and don't feel the return from a show would be worth it. at least from a UK show.?
Might be talking rubbish I'm a engineer not a advertising exec:confused:

Another effective marketing method has been through AV Forums right here. Members are invited to an open day, either at the vendor's UK distribution HQ or a conference facility, and it's very well recorded for non-attendees. Perhaps this is a better approach because there's a target audience in attendance. BSAV is very hit-and-miss in this respect.

Also the retailers themselves sometimes have open days. I went to one a few years ago which led to an informed purchase, and although some may assume there might be some sales pressure, there was nothing at all and I did not purchase on the day. It was less than 70 miles round trip too.

Wasn't there a show in Hammersmith, London in the Novotel hotel? What ever happened to that one?

Went to this show last year in Birmingham and the venue is far more pleasant.

Exhibitors at The Audio & AV Show, 2017 | Home Audio Show | Chester Group

There were over 40 exhibitors including a number of AV demonstrations. I spent more than 20 minutes talking to a Panasonic rep' and gained a good insight into various issues. I also spoke to one of the organisers and there was a strong willingness to build the show up. Well worth considering folks.

The Audio & AV Show 2018 | Home Audio Show | Chester Group

Last edited:
@Toon Army

I’ll probably go to the Brum one this year myself but won’t be doing Bristol!

Yeah some nice roads to ride around, and could certainly find an interesting route there and back, but then there's the ball ache of carrying around all the bike gear all day, and some of those rooms get really hot. I'm sure people wouldn't take too kindly to all the rustling from my leathers whilst listening to fine HiFi either!

Did that on my first show. Too far and cold to take the scenic route. Glad they have locker facilities. But Goretex trousers still get hot in there.

Hotel booked. Fuel the car up and off to bristol we go.
Mainly going for the sound part. Need a sub, so I'm looking forward to seeing what's on offer. The 'vision' was and always will be a side show for me.

Hotel booked. Fuel the car up and off to bristol we go.
Mainly going for the sound part. Need a sub, so I'm looking forward to seeing what's on offer. The 'vision' was and always will be a side show for me.

hi Ian

do yourself a favour and seek out the JL Audio subs in the AV Techsolutions room

Allan :smashin:

hi Ian

do yourself a favour and seek out the JL Audio subs in the AV Techsolutions room

Allan :smashin:

Will do Alan. Thanks for the heads up.

I can’t go to this show, but I really hope AVFORUMS member can ask KEF a few questions about the KEF LS50 WIRELESS;
1. Will they support TIDAL MQA directly from the internet?
2. Will they support Apple Airplay 2?

thank you kindly

Why not contact them yourself: [email protected]? That way you can get gratification ahead of the show.

I look forward to hearing about Powered Wireless Bookshelf Speakers.
Is there anything better than KEF LS50 WIRELESS at £2000 or under.

Probably, if you're willing to entertain an active speakers plus external box solution. That opens up a whole world of possibilities. Ed wrote about this when reviewing Oppo Sonica and AE1 Actives. Of course for wireless you'd be looking at a different solution. If not, and you're looking for a similar simple solution, and you like the sound stage you get from KEF's Uni-Q, they're tough to beat.

Probably, if you're willing to entertain an active speakers plus external box solution. That opens up a whole world of possibilities. Ed wrote about this when reviewing Oppo Sonica and AE1 Actives. Of course for wireless you'd be looking at a different solution. If not, and you're looking for a similar simple solution, and you like the sound stage you get from KEF's Uni-Q, they're tough to beat.

Thank you. I will check out the review for the Oppo Sonica and AE1 Actives, nice one. Not that bothered about wireless as i might just connect the speakers directly to a Mac via Digital Optical connection or to iPad via its headphone out port.

Some of the comments in this thread made me chuckle, since I remember when the 'and vision' bit was first added, with lots of people complaining about the influx of TVs spoiling a hifi show :).

I've not been to a Bristol show since I think 2005 and have only ever checked out the audio only rooms. I may go this year and ironically I would now have some interest in TVs as well.

I've not been since 2006 after 5 consecutive years of going there. I found even back then it was more sound than vision which didn't hold my interest anymore. I also found that most of the rooms were/are too small & crowded, so too hot & claustrophobic for me. A 400 mile round trip for a weekend puts me off too. I've been back to Bristol twice since then, but not to see the show but to try the great coffee shops the city has & I do want to go back there. If anything I would like to go to the show again one more time to see what's changed since I last paid a visit. A Atmos/4k setup would tempt me as I've yet to receive a demo.

Arcam usually host an Atmos demo, or at least they have done for the last two years, maybe year three.

Hotel room booked. Doing Saturday and Sunday this year
Although I agree with you all, it's gone down hill.

I bought many home cinema products after first seeing them at Bristol or Manchester shows

A heads up to highlight that XTZ Sound will be present at the show for the first time. If you haven't had a chance to see or hear their speakers, I understand they will be show casing some of the THX certified Cinema range, your in for a treat. They will also have a new compact Class D power amplifier with ICE tech.

Nice to have some actual surround/cinema stuff making a change from the domination of two channel stuff.

Might be worth a trip just to see the new Emotiva RMC-1 in action...

IMG-20180219-WA0000.jpg

I've heard it will be driving the SVS Ultra speakers and new SB-4000 sub

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom