Problem putting files on my PSP......

Brooker

Ex Member
Reaction score
Any help regarding this would be appreciated people.

I've had my PSP for a couple of month and am over the moon with it. So this weekend I bought a USB cable off eBay to put some music and movies onto it. The cable came today and I'm having nothing but problems...

I plug the USB cable into my PSP and Windows recognises it straight away, no problem. I can see the memory card and I can create or delete folders on it at will. The problem is that when I try and move a movie or anyhting onto it, about 0.2mb get's copied and then it says:

"Cannot copy [file name]: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

or

"Cannot copy [file name]: Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name."

It then loses it's connection with the PSP. If I disable the USB connection on the PSP and then reactivate it, my PC finds it again staight away!

I've tried updating my USB drivers through Device manager and it states that they are up to date.

Please help.....

Not sure - maybe a duff Pro Duo card? Personally i'd try another memory stick.

Brooker,

Make sure that you formatted the card via the PSP not via the PC as this may cause some problems.

I can connect fine and it shows as a removable drive and i use PSP9 to copy over films and just simple drag/drop for music, photos etc

DVDCHILD

Checking on the American official PSP site, a couple of other folk have suffered the same problem and they have put it down to a poor/faulty USB cable.

I couldn't get to PC World tonight, but will try tomorrow. Will let you know....

Just in case anyone was wondering, I had the same problem and it was, in fact, the usb wire between PC and PSP.

dvdchild said:
Brooker,

Make sure that you formatted the card via the PSP not via the PC as this may cause some problems.

I can connect fine and it shows as a removable drive and i use PSP9 to copy over films and just simple drag/drop for music, photos etc

DVDCHILD

I had problems too, I formatted the card and it all worked fine after that as the file structure was added at the same time as the format....

Jason

I get the same problem

"Cannot copy [file name]: Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name." Pops up every time I try to add anything to the card via the PSP.

Same PSP, cable and Memory Stick work fine on other computer and fine on a mates!

I also had the same problem and it turned out to be the cable. When i tryed the cable that came with my camera it worked fine so i suggest a new cable if formatting doesn't work..

Ive had the same problem.... in fact I still have it and its driving me barmy. Its not the usb cable as Ive also tried several different card readers.

I do have a temp solution on my machine - I unplug or disable my Belkin USB Wi-fi adapter... and files tranfer ok after that.

Sooo, if you have a wireless adapter plugged in.......

I had this same exact problem and this is the only thread, after scowering through many on google, that gave me an idea what might be wrong. In my case it wasn't a bad USB cable, but a bad USB port. I had been successful before in transferring music to the PSP, and after reading this thread I realized I was plugging the PSP into the front USB port of my PC instead of the back USB port where I'd been successful before. I switched to the back USB port and it works great now.

Hope this helps anyone who is having the same problem! Many other sites had people asking this question but no solutions, so I'm glad to add mine here. Thanks to those who posted here and gave me this idea.

:clap:
Iconoclast

"Cannot copy [file name]: Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name."

It then loses it's connection with the PSP. If I disable the USB connection on the PSP and then reactivate it, my PC finds it again staight away!

The Same Prob i changed usb ports ,brand new cable samething.......

HELP HELP HELP PLEASE!:)

I am having the exact same problem, everytime i try to put files into my PSP 1gig memory stick it gives me an error and my computer instantly looses the connection with my PSP... i need help! this is really frustrating! i jsut want to watch damn movies on my PSP!!!!... and i dont think its the USB cable that is causing this because i just bought it a day ago and i plug it in the USB port at the back of my PC so it should work perfectly! why isnt it doing so!?! :eek:

I had this same exact problem and this is the only thread, after scowering through many on google, that gave me an idea what might be wrong. In my case it wasn't a bad USB cable, but a bad USB port. I had been successful before in transferring music to the PSP, and after reading this thread I realized I was plugging the PSP into the front USB port of my PC instead of the back USB port where I'd been successful before. I switched to the back USB port and it works great now.

Hope this helps anyone who is having the same problem! Many other sites had people asking this question but no solutions, so I'm glad to add mine here. Thanks to those who posted here and gave me this idea.

Iconoclast

Thank u...

i had the same problem! but i was putting them on before and then all of a sudden i realized i was using a new cord! but it never crossed my mind that that was what it was till i saw this forum! switched back to my old cord! bam fixed it! thank you all who helped!

well, at the end of the day. It's not a killer problem. It's either the cable = cheap, format the stick or buy a new genuine one = cheap.

It is highly highly unlikely to be the psp itself !

Iconoclast

wow! thank you so much! it does work!!!!! ^^, hehehehehe

How about use an application such as TeraCopy, it might work?

I just wanna help other peeps who wanted to fix their problems like mine

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom