Projector Compatibility

Overbeyond

Novice Member
Reaction score
I recently got a Blueray/DVD player with HDMI port. I supect it cannot be made to work with my projector. I tried using an adaptor but no signal could be found. Before I go out and purchase a new projector I would just like to be sure that my current projector is actually incompatible.
I attach some images of what is available regarding connectivity as I am not the best at articulating problems. Hope you can help and very many thanks.

Attachments

• DSC07295.JPG
    DSC07295.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC07296.JPG
    DSC07296.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC07297.JPG
    DSC07297.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 37
You might need a powered HDMI->VGA converter to work with your HDMI port

But it might be time to upgrade your projector anyway, it looks like that's an older PC / office type projector designed to work with older PC resolutions (800×600/1366 ×768 at best) as opposed to modern digital HDMI resolutions (1280x720/1980x1080/4K). While you could possibly make it work, the resolution is likely to poor/limited by modern standards and possibly the ratio wrong for standard 16:9 widescreen TV and films.

If it's had some use over the years I expect the bulb is also on it's last legs and replacing would probably be impractical & not very cost effective, meaning an upgrade is likely to be around the corner anyway.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
You might need a powered HDMI->VGA converter to work with your HDMI port

But it might be time to upgrade your projector anyway, it looks like that's an older PC / office type projector designed to work with older PC resolutions (800×600/1366 ×768 at best) as opposed to modern digital HDMI resolutions (1280x720/1980x1080/4K). While you could possibly make it work, the resolution is likely to poor/limited by modern standards and possibly the ratio wrong for standard 16:9 widescreen TV and films.

If it's had some use over the years I expect the bulb is also on it's last legs and replacing would probably be impractical & not very cost effective, meaning an upgrade is likely to be around the corner anyway.
Thank you very much for your thoughts.
Yes I use an old projector Epson EB-X62. It has served me well. I understand where you are coming from; I want to get the benefits from the BlueRay player and it seems this is not possible even if I do manage to get it to talk to the old projector.
I will probably buy an Optoma HD143X because it is what I can afford.
I know very little about these matters so may I ask you one more question please as I'm a bit confused by the "throw"? The new projector will be about 15ft from the wall I use which is about 10ft wide. I'm guessing that the Optoma will manage well with these conditions?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thank you very much for your thoughts.
Yes I use an old projector Epson EB-X62. It has served me well. I understand where you are coming from; I want to get the benefits from the BlueRay player and it seems this is not possible even if I do manage to get it to talk to the old projector.
I will probably buy an Optoma HD143X because it is what I can afford.
I know very little about these matters so may I ask you one more question please as I'm a bit confused by the "throw"? The new projector will be about 15ft from the wall I use which is about 10ft wide. I'm guessing that the Optoma will manage well with these conditions?

That should be fine, you might want to select your projector and punch your screen size into this calculator to double check the max and min distances. You can also play with how the screen size and distance affect each other.

Keep in mind the Optoma is DLP which can mean ‘rainbows’ if you are susceptible to them - replacing your Epson LCD with another Epson LCD is worth considering too.

Joe

I don't know if I am susceptible to them. So I only know what I read about them. The Optoma model got great reviews, was my price band so I ordered so I will hope for the best.
Thank you for bringing to my attention Joe.

You could try an old Blu-ray player with analogue component video outputs, that should connect to the 15 way D socket with an adapter and give at least 720p video. I can't remember if any of the old players actually gave full HD (1080p) on the analogue outputs but possibly not, due to copying concerns.

Either that or try one of the older HDFury adapters, that would take the HDMI and give a 1080p analogue output for the 15 way D socket.

The projector is only 1024x768 resolution anyway so an analogue 720p signal is probably about as good as it could handle.

Many thanks Cynix for your help.
I have ordered a new projector now and all should be well with my recently purchased BlueRay player.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom