Projector screen - Tafetta?

balamoryboy

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

New member, first post. Thanks for having me.

I’m excitedly building my first home cinema setup, to a modest budget. I’ve bought the Epson EH-TW650 projector and a new avr and speaker set - I’m now ready to sort the projector screen.

I’m looking to DIY a screen. Plan is to have two; one 210” 16:9 outdoor and another 120” 16:9 for indoor. I’ve looked into the various options for material, gain, colour, and have considered the various pros and cons (subject to my own interpretation!) ... but I’m struggling to find good screen material at the right price.

But then ive found this: IFR Trevira CS Projection Tafetta Fabric 200 in / 510 cm - While Stocks Last - Projection Screen - Scenic Fabrics - Theatrical Supplies

And the price is great. But I have a few questions:

has anyone ever used tafetta fabric for projector screens? IFR Trevira? Not much info online about this.

This isn’t lined with blackout, and is suitable for front and rear projection. Will this work for me outside, if there is any ambient light present around the screen?

With the limited amount of info on the page, is anyone able to give me any first thoughts or advice on the suitability?

really appreciate any support.

Thanks,
Dave

Just responding to my own post in case anyone else searches for info on Tafetta fabrics and suitability for screen use in future.

I’ve received a good sized sample from the suppliers and observe a few things:

- the material I’ve received is around 2mm thick. At this thickness, the fabric is somewhat translucent, meaning anything directly behind the fabric is visible during projection. In most tests, this didn’t affect the image but you can understand how this would be compromising if not managed properly.

- the material is super delicate and the fabric I received was very creased. I tested the creased fabric and the light was reflected very randomly, and every crease was accentuated - as is to be expected. I ironed one half and projected again. On anything other than perfectly ironed sections, light reflecting on an angle created a pearlescent, purple sheen on the surface.

- the fabric performed well only in darkness. Any ambient light ruined the performance.

I think this fabric would be suitable for projection if supplied in appropriate thickness, if it is to be fitted with tension to a frame and if it can be maintained crease-free. If it is to be used indoors and in a suitably darkened room.

for me, I’ve decided to use blackout lined brilliant white woven fabric. It’s more robust, easier to manage and maintain, performs more reliably in all lighting and was cheap. The colors and sharpness are not as good as my white painted wall but it doesn’t reflect quite as aggressively (my white wall illuminates the entire room when projected, whereas the fabric doesn’t).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom