PS3 plays DVD but will not play Games

RajP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a PS3 which is around 2 years old... somehow, since a couple of days it has stopped playing all the Games my son was able to play on it.. when he puts the Games Disc in the drive, it will show the game and then start to load it... but then the screen just remains blank.. nothing happens... you can eject the disc but it will not recognise the disk or any others until rebooted.

It plays DVD movies just fine... any ideas what is going on??

Thanks

Raj

It could just be that the laser is dirty and needs cleaning. PS3 games are Blu-Ray discs which require a much shorter wavelength from the laser to read them than DVD's. This might explain why DVD's are fine (I expect it will play Audio CD's and PS1 games without issue also). If it is giving a disc read error (80010514) if left for long enough then it may need a repair. If it is out of warranty, it might be worth trying a standard DVD lens cleaner to see if this works. If not then you may need to call Sony.

Sorry to say but i think your Blu Ray laser has died I had the same problem and had to pay Sony £99 to fix it

Red laser for DVD
Blue for blu-Ray

Sorry to say but i think your Blu Ray laser has died I had the same problem and had to pay Sony £99 to fix it

Red laser for DVD
Blue for blu-Ray

Is it only Sony who can fix it or can it be replaced DIY??

Phone Sony and try and get them to fix it for free , some people have been lucky or a local game shop that fixes ps3's

Try this, I did the secret menu recovery on my mates ps3 and it worked a treat :thumbsup: far better than coughing up £100 to replace a lens that aint broke.

MOD EDIT: Video below contains some Jive talking, and colourful language that some viewer's may find disturbing. :cool:

YouTube - PS3 RECOVERY MENU CAN FIX DISC READ ERRORS

Love them Buttercakes lmao

Last edited by a moderator:
Try this, I did the secret menu recovery on my mates ps3 and it worked a treat :thumbsup: far better than coughing up £100 to replace a lens that aint broke.

MOD EDIT: Video below contains some Jive talking, and colourful language that some viewer's may find disturbing. :cool:

YouTube - PS3 RECOVERY MENU CAN FIX DISC READ ERRORS

Love them Buttercakes lmao

Thanks... will try that tonight... I just viewed the video and my my my... they are very very Fruity Buttercakes in there.... :rolleyes:

Ahhh Darn it... tried the Buttercakes Reset but it did not make any difference... gonna have to find someone to replace the Blu Ray reader.... any advice who would you recommend in the Watford area???

If you are half decent with a screwdriver etc, you can do it yourself.

It's about 60 - 90 mins if you are not sure what you are doing.
Look on youtube.

There's not guarantee that it will work though.

I changed a laser last week on a 80GB console and only when I rebuilt the system as in the video above did the new one work.

I do not get it. My PS3 plays DVD, CD, Blue Ray, and PS1,PS2 disk but not PS3. I know the disk is working themselves since they play in my other PS3. I put in a disk that worked but then took it out and tried others when I put it back in it didn't work. i am stumped since I have tried the system restore, restore file system, ECT. maybe someone may have answers I do not.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom