PS4 now #2 best selling console of all time.

zt1903

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As announced in Sony’s results to end of September, PS4 as now gone past PS1 and Wii into 2nd place behind the PS2.

Worldwide total shipments for PlayStation 4 have reached 102.8 million, Sony announced in its financial results for the three months ended September 30, 2019.

PlayStation 4 is now the second highest-selling home game console of all time, topped only by PlayStation 2 at 155 million units, and followed by the original PlayStation at 102.49 million units and Wii at 101.63 million units. (This does not include handheld consoles.)

A total of 2.8 million PlayStation 4s were shipped during the second quarter of fiscal year 2019, which is down 1.1 million from the 3.9 million shipped during the same period the previous fiscal year.

Sony also altered its previous forecast that it will sell 15 million PlayStation 4s in fiscal year 2019, which runs from April 1, 2019 to March 31, 2020, to 13.5 million PlayStation 4s.

Here are a couple of additional statistics:
  • There are 36.9 million PlayStation Plus subscribers as of September 30, 2019, which is up 2.6 million from the 34.3 million subscribers during the same period the previous fiscal year.
  • PlayStation 4 software sold 61.3 million units in the second quarter of fiscal year 2019, which is down 13.8 million from the 75.1 million software sold during the same period the previous fiscal year. 37 percent of those sales were full game software digital downloads, compared to 28 percent the previous year.
Source: Gematsu

Top 5 selling consoles of all time:
  1. PS2 : over 155 million
  2. PS4 : 102.8 million
  3. PS1 : 102.49 million
  4. Wii : 101.63 million
  5. PS3 : 87.4 million

4 out of the top 5 is pretty much total domination for Sony (and Wii was a bit of a freak).

I'm amazed the Xbox 360 didn't make it in there, I thought that was a great console and took the social aspect of gaming to a new level.
Can't wait for the PS5 now!

Good achievement, in the next 2 years Nintendo Switch will topple PS3.

So it'll be 3 for Sony and 2 for Nintendo.

At the end of the day I couldn't personally care less which systems outsell the others and historic sales as long as there's good competition in the market to keep them all on their toes, focused on innovation and realistic regarding price etc. Sony doing well pushes Microsoft and vice versa. It's good for gaming in general.

I've had every PlayStation (and PSP), and still have the PS4 alongside my Xbox One X, but my preference is with the Xbox and will remain so. It certainly doesn't mean I want Sony to fail. I personally prefer the controller, Live over PSN etc, plus gone all digital this gen (with both consoles) and majority of that is on the Xbox, including all multiplats. When you throw Gamepass into the mix, which by the time my sub runs out I'll have had about 4.5 yrs for me and my son who I gameshare with for approx. £15 all in, it's crazy value..

Of that list the PS3 numbers are somewhat misleading with regards to how well a console did really becasue a huge number bought a PS3 simply to use as a Blu Ray player. When launched it was far too expensive as a console, which helped the 360 dominate early on, plus the 360 was easier to develop for etc, but compared to dedicated Blu Ray players at the time it was a lot cheaper and one of the best available hence many people grabbed one for that purpose.

Of that list the PS3 numbers are somewhat misleading with regards to how well a console did really becasue a huge number bought a PS3 simply to use as a Blu Ray player.
Its still a sale though regardless of what its used for, we've no idea if those machines were never used for gaming or just purely as a blu ray and thats it. Could say the same about the Xbox One S (Cheap 4K player) but in reality its just treated as a sale.

I agree though I like to see them push each other as its a win win :)

Its still a sale though regardless of what its used for, we've no idea if those machines were never used for gaming or just purely as a blu ray and thats it. Could say the same about the Xbox One S (Cheap 4K player) but in reality its just treated as a sale.

I agree though I like to see them push each other as its a win win :)

Yeah of course a sale's a sale regardless, but with that console it was as much about driving Blu Ray to win that particular battle as they couldnt afford to lose after investing so much. They didnt want a repeat of the loss they had with Betamax to VHS. They took a huge hit on each machine, far more than a normal hit on console hardware, to make sure it esrablished a dominant userbase for Blu Ray knowing the brand would sell millions from launch even if many did question the price for a console. The rest is history on both fronts.

I'd be interested to see the total revenue in games for each console or the average number of games per console sale. We know some consoles performed dire in this regard. Does Sony actually make any money on consoles or is it a loss leader?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom