PS4 Pro will NOT play 4K UHD Discs (Confirmed)

thewoe2

Established Member
Reaction score
EDIT - Confirmed it will not have a UHD 4K player, Official specs for the PS4 Pro listed here:

F4ABBB6B-C7CA-4188-A348-DFF8FA4A7D0C_zpsks5y6pim.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah they've not mentioned it yet. They've barely brushed on uhd video at all actually. Xbox didnt specifically they had a uhd drive until spec sheets came out mind you..

I'd be surprised if it doesn't have one tbh, as xbox one s does. But it actually doesn't bother me at all if it has one or not, as it'd be plugged into the same tv as my ub900 anyway so I'd never use it lol

That just doesn't make any sense not to put one in especially as the s does which is cheaper? Dropped ball, monumental f.u.

For me, the 4k hdr gaming was far more important here than a 4k uhd player. I wouldn't use 2 on the same tv. I know that's not the case for everyone obviously. I do imagine 4k gaming improvements costs far more than a uhd drive however.

It still may have one, they just not said yet. Its hardly the main focus here for them.

I dont have fast internet available to me and wont for a few years as my area sucks, so UHD bluray is the only way i can watch 4K video content, im watching more movies lately than playing games so im really dissapointed here, might just buy the new Xbox one S and ive been holding off as im a PS guy.

Mate if you're just after a uhd player, seriously skip on the xbox offering. No HD audio is a killer. You'll have a cheaper panny, phillips and sony players out before xmas. I mean you can get the Samsung k8500 uhd player for £300 now. Much much much better idea if you dont also want an xbox, which it doesn't sound like you do :rotfl:

Mate if you're just after a uhd player, seriously skip on the xbox offering. No HD audio is a killer. You'll have a cheaper panny, phillips and sony players out before xmas. I mean you can get the Samsung k8500 uhd player for £300 now. Much much much better idea if you dont also want an xbox, which it doesn't sound like you do :rotfl:

Sounds like a plan, but i really wanted an all in one machine as i use my playstations as a gaming machine and a bluray/dvd player.

Crazy move by Sony. Was banking on the PS4 Pro to have UHD playback. I rarely buy blu-rays now but wanted to be able to buy the blockbusters and enjoy watching them in 4K and with HD audio. Thought about jumping ship to the xbox one s but the lack of HD audio makes it a no go.

Mhmm. Here's the ps4 pro soec sheet.
IMG_20160907_223518.jpg

Side note but wondering if the HDD can be swapped over?

Zero clue. I'm just glad its a 1TB. My 500gb just maxed out again after installing lego atar wars earlier lol

I'm sure the hard drive can be swapped. Could in all the PS3 versions and it's critical these days with the size of game patches. People need the choice to upgrade their storage capacity.

However as for 4k gaming, I can't see it having the power to drive a 4k game natively. I'm sure it was previously reported it will be upscaling to 4k.

Yeah it's not going to be native. They've dubbed it as 'rendering'. Still, for a £40 premium on the 1TB slim i think it's a great deal. Shame there's no uhd player, but it's no big deal to me. The 4K rendering, HDR output and improvements to vr will be well worth the upgrade imo. As if the cycle hold's we won't see a PS5 for another 2/3 years.. leaving this enough to tide me over.

If you have the PS4 buying a PS4 Pro is not worth the cost involved. The only benefit is HDR for Netflix, Amazon and upscaling games to 4K. £350 for HDR is just madness, besides if you have a 4K TV with HDR you will already most likely have Amazon and Netflix in 4K with HDR.

That really is incorrect. The pro offers a massive step up in GUI and processing power over the current ps4. Over double actually. The 4k/hdr video part does not appeal to me in the slightest, already having the services on my tv, uhd and shield.

And actually upscaling current games to 4k, as you put it, will be managed considerably better by the pro than your 4k tv. Then games that are being specifically given patches for this model will see much closer to native 4k gaming than you would expect from a rendering algorithm. Go watch the gameplay video of horizon from last night's meeting online. Its on the playstation twitch channel. Truely breathtaking.

The games will still be 1080p up-scaled to 4K. The processing power seems wasted as no PS4 Pro 4K games are going to be released. You'll get better load up times that's about it. Not worth £350...

Anyway we are straying too much away from the Bluray and DVD here maybe this should be in PS part of the forum.

sony has seriously dropped the ball on this one!!! they have brought out an updated console to rival the xbox one s which in at least this one key feature doesn't!!! I was going to get the one s but the lack of bitstreaming ruled it out for me! But at least you have the ability to play the movies on the one s!!! I was half expecting another announcement at the same time for their own UHD player - that would sort of make sense, but this!!! Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy!!

The whole point of this upgraded console is for the PS VR launching on 13 Oct. Once people see how poorly the VR unit performs on the Ps4 they will be compelled to upgrade to the Pro

I am shocked, well Sony lost at least one sale, the impact on the viability of the medium could be massive; the PS4 was a Trojan Horse for Blu-ray, it also forced the stand alone players into a lower price bracket. I don't see the logic.

I think it's fairly obvious that sony's intention here was not to challenge the one s at all, or market the pro as much of a 4k video player. This is a new 4k/hdr games console, well as close as you're going to get at the moment, that will massively help their VR along on it's way. That's all. The one s simply offers the same xbox one, in a smaller case, with a uhd disc drive. One that still cannot bitstream, making it completely worthless as disc player imo.

All new (and a fair selection of old) PS4 titles are going to be equipped specifically with the option to play on the pro. Specifically optimised for 4K and HDR output. They could, and probably should have, added in a UHD drive yeah. But as this is supposed to be a 4K console 1st, and anything else 2nd, this still beats any other console hands down for it's primary purpose.

Personally I couldn't care it doesn't have a UHD drive really. Yeah it'd be nice to have a spare, but id've never used it for that purpose owning a UB900 and my other 4K TV isn't HDR. Itd've made it at least another £50 more expensive as well. So for me, that's money saved. I do understand peoples disappointment, but to anyone in doubt about it's 4K HDR gaming capabilities, go check out the gameplay videos from last night. Specifically the one for Horizon. Phenomenal. It won't hit the native 4K gaming a $$$$ gaming pc will obviously, but come on its only £350 so it's all that can be expected. I imagine the PS5 will achieve that milestone in a few years time.

This however has gone wildly off UHD disc topic now though.

have we had any official response from sony who invented bluray would exclude a uhd player? just doesnt make any type of sense, not everyone has bb speeds to stream content, so having a player would have been the best of both worlds. it is obviously a conscience decision by sony, but in my opinion and the opinion of many respected games websites, it is a very poor decision long term.

have we had any official response from sony who invented bluray would exclude a uhd player?

From Andrew House in a Guardian interview:

“Our feeling is that while physical media continues to be a big part of the games business, we see a trend on video towards streaming,” he said. “Certainly with our user base, it’s the second biggest use case for people’s time on the system so we place more emphasis on that area.”

PlayStation boss on PS4 Pro: our approach isn't reactive this time around

The big question is whether that is the view of SCE or Sony as a whole. I've suspected on several occasions that, long term, Sony's heart is more firmly in streaming for distribution of UHD content via services like their 'Ultra' platform. They just haven't been particularly aggressive in their support of UHD Blu in the way we might have expected, and their enthusiast aimed revision of the PS4 not supporting UHD Blu (arguably never likely to be anything more than an enthusiasts format, even more niche than Blu-ray itself) potentially strikes me as further evidence that they don't see it as any more a viable extension of Blu-ray than 3D Blu was.

Having said that, House does share his opinion in relation to the Playstation user base, so it could well be the age old situation of Sony's internal divisions being at odds with one another, but I am not so sure. Kaz Hirai was part of SCE when the PS3 launched and knew the value of having Blu-ray in there... Now, as CEO of the entire company (where he has openly said he was actively focused on unity within all its divisions) you'd think that if he felt all of Sony's product departments should share a unified backing of UHD Blu he'd see to it that they did.

I never looked to the PS4 Pro as acting like a "trojan horse" for UHD Blu. Times have changed, and it's a mid-gen console revision targeted at a specific type of gamer that is likely to still leave the original (and now cheaper) model and slim model as the market leader. Again though, I do think support was most likely to show just how confident Sony is in UHD Blu in general, and with it lacking I just cannot help but feel their confidence is not high. One could also look to what a half-arsed job they did at IFA just slapping a UHD logo on a disconnected UHP-H1 Blu-ray player and fobbing it off as their dedicated player. I just don't detect any sense of eagerness on their part to really throw their weight behind the format.

Last edited:
Terrible news. I was waiting to click 'buy' on this along with PS VR for a laugh, but no UHD player forces me to buy the XBone One S. (Meaning I now have to find room under my TV for another box)

They will probably add UHD BD in next years hardware refresh when the costs come down. The margins on hardware are fairly small as it is. Still disappointing though, BD Playback was the thing that made me buy a PS3 10 years ago.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom