PS4 Pro will NOT play 4K UHD Discs (Confirmed)

I'd be very surprised if there was a ps4 hardware revision next year.. past release cycles would say there will not be another until the PS5 in 2/3 years time.

Gutted!!!! Loved my ps3 as an all singing and dancing solution for games and media,was hoping this would become the deserving follow up to that,but no,now im gonna have to buy a standalone player aswell in the near future.. Im running outta room on the rack!
..and money..

Probably would've bought this if it had a UHD drive. But I've got Netflix, Amazon and YouTube 4K on my tv so absolutely no point for me. I'd sooner Sony concentrated on 1080p 60fps than 4K gaming in any case.

They will probably add UHD BD in next years hardware refresh when the costs come down. The margins on hardware are fairly small as it is. Still disappointing though, BD Playback was the thing that made me buy a PS3 10 years ago.

according to gamecentral it would've cost Sony as little as $15 to add a UHD drive. Wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if there is another revision to rival Xbox Scorpio though.

according to gamecentral it would've cost Sony as little as $15 to add a UHD drive. Wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if there is another revision to rival Xbox Scorpio though.

another revision within a year would have gamers freaking out, parents too, this mistake makes a revision more likely but also loss of consumer confidence and loyalty, they've really shit the bed

The lack of Ultra hd 4k blu-ray drive is just baffling, very disapointed and will skip the planned buy....

Same for me, was planning on preordering to get the upgraded visuals but mainly for a UHD Bluday player.

I've now preordered the £249 Xbox One S and will stick with my day one PS4.

I am also baffled as to how the PS4 Slim is more money than the Xbox One S, the whole event was really strange

I know your all pissy about the pro not including a uhd drive.. but for those of you still interested in the extent of 4k gaming and GPU improvements the console brings, i found the following link most in depth I've read so far. Impressive results for the £350 price mark it seems.

Digital Foundry: Three hours with PlayStation 4 Pro

Same for me, was planning on preordering to get the upgraded visuals but mainly for a UHD Bluday player.

I've now preordered the £249 Xbox One S and will stick with my day one PS4.

I am also baffled as to how the PS4 Slim is more money than the Xbox One S, the whole event was really strange

Same here, I bought the 2TB one s as I saw no confirmation from sony or the media of ps4 pro having a UHD drive over the last few months, my broadband is not good enough to stream UHD and even if it was the quality is nothing compared to Sky UHD and UHD bluray.

I see the lack of a UHD drive in the pro as a major mistake which will hurt sony, if this was a couple of months back i'd have said they were testing the water first but as it is close to release I don't see them making any change due as it has probably already begun its manufacturing run. I'm sticking to my original ps4 and wait it out for ps5 and scorpio.

I can only assume Sony have looked into it and not considered a UHD drive an essential in the Pro. Strange choice as after the disappointment with the S I was ready to jump at the PS4 Pro. But perhaps those of us who wanted a UHD drive as just too small in our number to have made any difference to Sony.

I imagine the real reason is that Sony have had this in MFG for a few months already and the Xbox One S having a UHD drive came as a complete surprise not only to us, but also them.

By then, it was too late to add it and perhaps why this event was fairly low key, they know that The Scorpio will be better for the mid Gen Power Upgrade and the Xbox One S is the better mid gen slim version and they simply could not compete as both systems were on the line getting built and Microsoft have played it really well after the shambles of the initial announcement three or so years ago.

Credit to them, back then I thought I would never buy the Xbox One, yet here I am with one preordered cause they have a USP with the UHD drive.

Maybe Sony no something about UHD format we don't :love::D

Yeah it's a niche market that won't have a high adoption rate so why bother adding additional cost to what is game centric device .

Gonna get slaughtered on an AV centric forum for saying this ain't I :blush:.

Out of AV sites I see little interest for a UHD physical format , not only from consumers but manufacturers and studios, spinners and titles are in short supply and being drip fed UHD discs is a good way to kill it.

I feel we are being a little pushed into the digital realm by Sony with this. We won't come quietly though:D.

Or maybe , just maybe Sony didn't want to release a console with a UHD drive because it will be obsolete a week after release considering the overly convoluted roll out of the whole bloody format that is HDR.

Last edited:
Yeah it's a niche market that won't have a high adoption rate so why bother adding additional cost to what is game centric device .

Out of AV sites I see little interest for a UHD physical format , not only from consumers but manufacturers and studios, spinners and titles are in short supply and being drip fed UHD discs is a good way to kill it.

I feel we are being a little pushed into the digital realm by Sony with this. We won't come quietly though:D.

Or maybe , just maybe Sony didn't want to release a console with a UHD drive because it will be obsolete a week after release considering the overly convoluted roll out of the whole bloody format that is HDR.

You might be right their,but i hope not :)

I'd agree if it didn't make economic sense but it costs so little to add the UHD drive it's a baffling decision - especially as the price it's come in at was a bit of a surprise too. As others have said, it's also a bit of a kick in the knackers for sony's home entertainment division. It's all a bit odd.

No-one is being pissy about it, it's just taken away one of the main buying points for some people. I cancelled straight away, I just don't game enough these days to warrant paying out for some improved gaming visuals but the same playback device.

I'd agree if it didn't make economic sense but it costs so little to add the UHD drive it's a baffling decision - especially as the price it's come in at was a bit of a surprise too. As others have said, it's also a bit of a kick in the knackers for sony's home entertainment division. It's all a bit odd.

No-one is being pissy about it, it's just taken away one of the main buying points for some people. I cancelled straight away, I just don't game enough these days to warrant paying out for some improved gaming visuals but the same playback device.

I agree as a UHD drive would add little to the cost to the console . I just believe Sony has little interest in the format , they not even be looking for the UHD premium certification on their latest displays , even though being a prominent member of the UHD allience.

I just believe they looked at the data available to their ecosystem and decided that a uhd drive was not needed as a niche market would not impact sales as much as a cheaper games console could bring into their ecosystem.

I think it a mistake also , talking on a AV site . We be in the minority though.

Yeah i dont think it was ever in doubt that they weren't interested in the format. They basically came up with it. They just weren't interested in putting it in the ps4 thats all.

That player is going to be something else entirely though. Just for the super high end custom install market. Well over £1000. Probably more expensive than the oppo. Which i suppose backs up their market direction of 'uhd is not for the general public' that they gave to go along with the ps4 pro.

I'm not convinced. It looks like MS caught Sony on the hop by including a UHD disc and now we're getting standard corporate spin (no pun). Still think there'll be a ps4 pro + before long.

If there is a ps pro plus released before a ps5 after i buy the pro, i hope the only upgrades to it are adding a uhd drive and possibly making it slimmer. Neither of which i care about. Really don't want to be tempted buy another ps4 next year :rotfl:

My thinking too. Might be in a new Pro player for no other reason than they are doing Apple's trick. Keeping something back for the next version.

Pfffft what do forbes know :rotfl:

PS4 Pro's Missing 4K Blu-ray Drive: The Mistake Sony Had To Make

"If handing back a clear feature and sales advantage to your arch rival just when you had them on the ropes isn’t a mistake, then I don’t know what is."

Oh it's a Forbes contributer piece :laugh::laugh: Arch rival :rotfl:. The Pro came about because of the real arch rival of early console adopters graphics whores ( GAMERS ) migrating back to PC mid console life.

But please bang on , and on , and on . As you do ;).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom